The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2015, 03:36 PM   #1
PhoenixRising01

350 Timing?

I have a '71 c10 lb. Recently replaced motor with a crate 350. After a couple thousand miles had a mild cam installed. I didn't get the performance boost I wanted. My question: What is standard timing, and given the cam, what would be a reasonable amount of advance? People I've asked have suggested I take it up to 30 degrees after tdc. I'm pretty sure that's way too extreme.
Another question relates to replacing stock exhaust manifolds with headers. Is there a real world advantage to this? I'm trying to get the most I can out of it without boring, new heads, etc. Thanks for your help.
PhoenixRising01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:05 PM   #2
Fitz
Account Suspended

Re: 350 Timing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising01 View Post
I have a '71 c10 lb. Recently replaced motor with a crate 350. After a couple thousand miles had a mild cam installed. I didn't get the performance boost I wanted. My question: What is standard timing, and given the cam, what would be a reasonable amount of advance? People I've asked have suggested I take it up to 30 degrees after tdc. I'm pretty sure that's way too extreme.
Another question relates to replacing stock exhaust manifolds with headers. Is there a real world advantage to this? I'm trying to get the most I can out of it without boring, new heads, etc. Thanks for your help.
You can get the timing specs for your engine from the GM Performance Parts website. Most crate 350's will run best with 8-10 degrees advance at idle with 36 degrees all in at 3000 rpm. Don't know what cam you have so....contact the manufacturers tech line for any timing changes for that cam.

Most (but not all) headers are "tuned" (by changing the length of each tube) to get the best flow rates at a design RPM. Expect 5-8 percent increase in power which, for a crate 350 translates into about 15 horsepower. Probably not worth the investment or the aggravation they will give you UNLESS you are drag racing that truck. Getting the timing correct for your cam would give much more.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:36 PM   #3
7tee

Just installed a 350 crate in mine and I set it at 10* BTDC, I'm passed trying to race anyone and just wanted a good running motor...
7tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:51 PM   #4
enaberif

With a mild cam you can run anywhere from 10* BTDC to 18* BTDC. You just listen for any pinging and back it off if you have to much.

I'm currently running 18* BTDC on my truck.
enaberif is offline   Reply With Quote