The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1973-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-02-2003, 05:41 PM   #1
crossy
Oh,you can't buy that new

WTB-passenger car 4 speed wanted.

I need a 4 speed cheap that will bolt right in place of an existing 3 on the tree. like an old saginaw or Borg Warner. I don't believe I can use the type with hydraulic clutch, but I can't be sure because I have never done a stick to stick swap but my 84 does not have the Hyd clutch now. If you reply to all4trux@snip.net I will consider anything that is reasonably priced . You also have to able to mail it if not within 100 miles of me. thanx , DAVE
98 Vortec project.
94,3500,6.5L 4L80
81 SWB GMC POS finally gone
73 Pinto, stock, w/CragarSS's-eww
LOTS of Cummins trucks.
crossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 08:53 PM   #2
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

I did an ebay search... There is one on there that the current bid is $75 It has a real nice shifter on it. When I originally put the four speed in my truck. I paid $120 for a j/yard trans from a 83 camaro. $50 for a used Hurst shifter. What caught me by surprise was the $130 that the linkage kit cost..... The one on ebay probably needs to be rebuilt, but it would be worth it just for the shifter and linkage. Rebuild kits are cheap for these. I recently overhauled mine. I bought the parts locally here in Vegas. The master rebuild kit was $90, and the synchro's were $30. They're not that difficult to do. Chiltons has a good "step by step" if you like to DIY...
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2003, 09:09 AM   #3
crossy
Oh,you can't buy that new

yeah I already had that one on my watch list. The Saginaws were terrible about whining through the gears. i think it was a bearing that used to go bad often. Mine used to shut up in fourth gear. ??
I have plenty of shifters i can make work and thats an OK price but he wants $70 to ship. say$90 wins the trans. then $100 worth of rebuild parts. & labor. Yes i like to DIY and haven't done a stick in years but I'm thinking more known good one for $75 or so. Heck I threw away a couple over the years. Also thinking of the switch to a TH350 will help sell it when finished and i have a column shift column.
I just got a good 6 cyl. at the right price -FREEBIE- and it has 180 PSI on every cylinder. thanx for the info. DAVE
98 Vortec project.
94,3500,6.5L 4L80
81 SWB GMC POS finally gone
73 Pinto, stock, w/CragarSS's-eww
LOTS of Cummins trucks.
crossy is offline   Reply With Quote