The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-23-2015, 08:11 AM   #1
69l46vert

Crossmembers for AD 4WD

Planning to install a 350 SBC with an SM465 and NP205 in my 54 and was wondering what you all think of the commercially available cross members. The motor crossmember seems straightforward but do you think it's possible to use the trans crossmember for a 2wd automatic or should I build my own trans cross member? I'll build my own if I have to just looking for the simplest solution. Here's a pic of the setup I'm thinking of. Thanks, Rick
Attached Images

69l46vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:10 PM   #2
whitedog76

Re: Crossmembers for AD 4WD

I used a Trans-dapt universal transmission crossmember with a 3" drop on my 54. I should've got the 6" drop.

The Trans-dapt uses plates that need to be bolted to the upright part of the frame.

I had to weld angle iron to the crossmember so it will bolt to the bottom flange of the frame.

I'm not sure about your engine crossmember. Will it interfere with the front differential?
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:38 AM   #3
69l46vert

Re: Crossmembers for AD 4WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog76 View Post
I used a Trans-dapt universal transmission crossmember with a 3" drop on my 54. I should've got the 6" drop.

The Trans-dapt uses plates that need to be bolted to the upright part of the frame.

I had to weld angle iron to the crossmember so it will bolt to the bottom flange of the frame.

I'm not sure about your engine crossmember. Will it interfere with the front differential?
Thanks WhiteDog. I'll look at the Trans dapt. Not sure if there will be a problem with the front driveshaft interfering with the motor's crossmember. If there is then maybe I can use the motor mounts that are side mounted to the frame and don't use an engine cross member.
Looks like I need to mock things up a little closer before I go ahead and buy anything right away. Thanks for your comments. It potentially could save me aggravation and money. Rick
69l46vert is offline   Reply With Quote