The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-23-2015, 09:16 PM   #1
WOLFMANmike

trying to get some idea if this would be a good upgrage

has anyone here ever ran a true ram air set up on their CARB truck ? i was thinking of maybe custom making one for as cheap as i can but true fresh air not under hood hot air ... i do know that any real cold fresh air is a gain in performance but im wondering is it worth it cheaply and safe ? or am i looking at having to increase fuel because of said fresh ramed air ? and last but not least lets have some ideas on how to make one and where the best place you think would be to run the hoses ? also would this hurt to be run in the rain or not ? here is what i have not much to special 350 SBC stock with long tube headers and a HEI ignition a duel plane aluminum intake manifold Edelbrock 600 cfm carb and a TH 350 trans .. embarrassed to say for now cherry bombs lol but im working on getting my 2 40 series Flowmasters put on so what do you all think cant wait to hear and get some of your ideas on how to make one if its worth it Happy Truckin
WOLFMANmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 12:22 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: trying to get some idea if this would be a good upgrage

If your truck has the recirculating heater, you can take fresh air from the cowl area where the upper heater block off plate is. If your truck has a deluxe heater, you will have to go towards the front of the truck. I have thought about trying to take fresh air from above the radiator, thru the openings in front of the hood.

You might take a look here for some components to make it all happen.

http://www.spectreperformance.com/?u...US-SPE-Branded
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 01:36 AM   #3
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
If your truck has the recirculating heater, you can take fresh air from the cowl area where the upper heater block off plate is. If your truck has a deluxe heater, you will have to go towards the front of the truck. I have thought about trying to take fresh air from above the radiator, thru the openings in front of the hood.

You might take a look here for some components to make it all happen.

http://www.spectreperformance.com/?u...US-SPE-Branded
Do think ill have fuel issues like run to lean ? Or should i be ok with stock 600 edelbrock ?
Old 05-24-2015, 08:53 PM   #4
65sub

Check out this ram air box http://www.ramairbox.com/product.html The carb will meter the correct amount of gas for the increased air
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=655167
65sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:20 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I don't think you should have any lean issues with introducing cooler air, but I would suggest checking your plugs after installing it. Typically Edelbrock carbs are setup to run a bit rich out of the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFMANmike View Post
Do think ill have fuel issues like run to lean ? Or should i be ok with stock 600 edelbrock ?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:29 AM   #6
Hollow65

Wolf, you can get it tuned at a shop here in town for fairly cheap if you're worried about lean conditions. lots of dyno tune shops here in town.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:38 AM   #7
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow65 View Post
Wolf, you can get it tuned at a shop here in town for fairly cheap if you're worried about lean conditions. lots of dyno tune shops here in town.
I wish but unfortunately I don't make enough money to afford shop prices im on perm disability