The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-02-2003, 10:02 PM   #1
71Rat
ran out of money

Question a bunch of questions

ok here we go... i have a 71 c-10 2 wheel drive with a 3 speed and a 350 p/s and non power brakes... it is mainly stock.... i lowered it and thats about it... now for my questions-
1) what do i need to do to hook up power brakes? i know i need a vacume line but i took the plug out of the intake and am running a rat fink license plate holder that folds up... so what do i connect to then
2) i am doing transmissions in school so i am going to build me a nice 700r4.. but i am having a hard time figuring out how it is going to mount, right now i have a cross member holding up my bell housing and the trans floats off that. what do i do about a different cross member?
3) this is not going to be as soon as the others, but what would you guys recomend for a nice 383 combo? i don't have engine class for a few weeks but once i do i want to be ready to build me my 383 with tons of power and torque

thanks for all your help, any suggestions are welcome.... plus if anyone is interested in a 72 front clip (firewall forward) let me know... my teach has one and all i want is the grill... but supposedly everything else is in great condition... he might have some nice burban doors also
michael
Old 09-02-2003, 10:12 PM   #2
cdowns

you have to get an auto trans crossmember, put a wanted to buy in the parts board, as far as the brakes you need master cyl,proportioning valve and booster from a power brake truck
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 10:51 AM   #3
O'l Buck
Recovering Truck Driver

you can get a tee that will screw into the hole where you have the line for your R.F. liscense frame and take off of it for the brakes.

Chad
South Central Nebraska
O'l Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 11:08 AM   #4
71Rat
ran out of money

cdowns- thank you for the advise, but how does the back of the motor hold in then? does it just get the rest of it's support from the trans and it's cross member? right now the rear of my motor is resting on the bellhouseing mounts... to me this seems more supportive.. thanks again for your help

o'l buck- thats what i was somewhat thinking but that plate has constant vacume needed to hold it down.... will that effect the brakes?
Old 09-03-2003, 02:53 PM   #5
adamls
Gotta Startem Early

Vacuum is vacuum any where in the line, one shoudlnt affect the other. I would suggest an hydraulic power combo kit for your brakes, the cost is not too mush more considering all the parts that go with a vacuum kit.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...threadid=65013

The majority of your engine weight is on the engine mounts. An automatic crossmember at the tail is all you need.

I am going with the crate 383 with HOT cam and possibly fast burn heads, 460-480 ft-lbs. But $$$$.
Old 09-03-2003, 04:11 PM   #6
71Rat
ran out of money

adamls- thanks for the input. i am guessing that most auto's came with just the motor mounts and a trans mount... yeah i don't know the specs on the 383 i am going to build just yet but i know that it is going to be all crazy.... i have the engine class in about 6 weeks so thats when i get to play with engine dyno's and other fun stuff
Old 09-03-2003, 04:29 PM   #7
Project1970
14.1 @ 96MPH

Yeah, a standard automatic setup is the engine mounts and the crossmember at the tail end of the tranny, the two "float" between...

Do yourself a favor and buy new motor mounts! I think it was a combination of things (more stress on the mounts from the further-back crossmember, more stress from more torque on the mounts) but as soon as I had my TH400 swapped in place of the 3-on-the-tree, I toasted both motor mounts...do them while you have the tranny disconnected, it should probably make things somewhat easier when getting that done!
Old 09-03-2003, 05:12 PM   #8
71Rat
ran out of money

project1970- thanks for the advice about the motor mounts but they are all new... i had the truck down to the frame, just the cab left on and i replaced all mounts and everything... now i am tired of the way it is and want to build it into a nasty street truck