The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-28-2015, 09:00 PM   #1
Craftsmen

HEADERS...am I crazy to think?

That I can purchase a set of headers to drop into my truck, bolt them up, hook up an exhaust system and not have to pull my hair out.

1970 c10 swb, 350 crate motor installed in the V8 position, manual Saginaw 3 speed transmission converted to floor shifter. Stock Z bar clutch linkage. ECE 4/6 drop kit, drop spindles with disc brake conversion. Power brake booster.

Please any information would be appreciated to steer me in the right direction to make a smart purchase on a set of headers.
Thank-you
Old 05-28-2015, 10:08 PM   #2
jessemthompson

Re: HEADERS...am I crazy to think?

Yes, it is pretty simple. Sanderson makes a nice set of mid length headers that don't drop below the frame in case you're looking to lower it.
jessemthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:30 PM   #3
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemthompson View Post
Yes, it is pretty simple. Sanderson makes a nice set of mid length headers that don't drop below the frame in case you're looking to lower it.
Yes, they do! 15K miles, no problems, no worries and no leaks. So is there a set of headers that you can bolt on and not have to continually work on them? Yes you can. BUT THEY AREN'T CHEAP.
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:41 PM   #4
Craftsmen

Thanks Fitz, can you tell me the order information.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:08 AM   #5
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsmen View Post
Thanks Fitz, can you tell me the order information.
Sorry, but I can't. I bought mine in 2005 for the 502/572 in a 67 C10 and the numbering has changed since then. Mine are BB4 block huggers but that number no longer exists. The closest to them is a set of C6's. The left side looks like the photo. Their tech line can tell you which ones to use on your engine in your particular year truck. Just call at 800-669-2430 and explain what you need and don't be put off if a GIRL answers. When I talked to her she recommended a set that fit perfectly.

Good Luck with your Truck!
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2015, 11:41 AM   #6
GRX

"350 crate motor"

Installing headers for sound?
GRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:59 PM   #7
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRX View Post
"350 crate motor"

Installing headers for sound?
I think the OP made it clear what he was doing.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:48 PM   #8
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I've installed headers in pretty much every rig I've ever owned. There is a lot of misinformation and nay-sayers out there that think headers are the bane of exhaust components. Headers are a great way to get a bit more power out of your engine and also look good and help the exhaust sound good.

One thing about them is, you get what you pay for. So remember that the el-cheapo $100 dollar set will not be near the quality of a $300+ dollar set. The main thing I can tell anybody about headers is that after 30 years of using them... do not over tighten fasteners. Most of the "headaches" and leaks that come with headers are due to warped and bent flanges from over tightened fasteners. Also use good quality thick gaskets. The BS gaskets that come with most kits need to be pitched in the can. Even a name brand expensive set will still come with cruddy gaskets.

For an extremely lowered rig you will want a "3/4" length or a "shorty" set. So they won't hang below the frame rails and drag the ground. I'm not a big fan of "shorty" style headers as you can usually get almost the same performance from stock exhaust manifolds. One "headache" I will say about headers for SBC's is that the spark plugs and spark plug wires can be a pain to get to. It's just the way it is. So go into it knowing that you will have to wrestle the plugs and wires a bit on a few cylinders.

Again... headers are awesome, and I will always use them on an old hot rod. Just don't use gorilla torque on the fasteners at the header and collector flanges and you should be good.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:25 PM   #9
Blakeman350

Idk what kind of budget you are working with but I just bought a set of summit racings long tube headers and for the money I'm pretty happy with them. Bolted up to my 350 with no problems, they clear the spark plugs pretty good and no clearance issues. Just had to weld on the collectors that came with the headers. The only thing I did is paint them and bought the crush style gaskets. Some guys might disagree but I've definitely spent a lot more and got a lot less on headers
Blakeman350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:27 PM   #10
hugger6933

Get the best set you can afford now I've heard this but don't know that I have tried it in the past, that the Chevelle headers work well with a lowered truck. Try and get the thickest flange you can the newer sets have a bit thicker flange than the older ones Why? they cut down on leaks. If you get paper gaskets soak them overnight in a tray of water then install run the truck up to temp let it cool off then re-tighten.On the bottom throw away the gasket and get a doughnut type gasket so it will work the newer sets have a ball type seal like the new trucks at the connections to prevent leaks.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:02 PM   #11
WIDESIDE72

The last headers I bought were from hedman for a 93 gmc k2500 and they had a ball an socket connections at the follow for. No gasket. Using these in conjunction with ARP studs and twelve pont nuts to attach the headers to the heads resulted in no leaks after initial retorquing.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 03:49 PM   #12
GRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
I think the OP made it clear what he was doing.
Questions were clear. Intended results were not. Asked because with a stock built engine a set of smaller tube headers may give better all around street performance than a huge set which will deepen the sound yet may narrow the peak torque range.
GRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 04:40 PM   #13
jdw

Sanderson. Email them, they're very helpful. You'll need to specify if you have angle plugs, but they're extremely helpful and very prompt. Very good product.
jdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:13 PM   #14
special-K
Special Order

The only headers I couldn't bolt right on were on a 4spd where I had to cut one arm off the z-bar and relocate it. I have used cheap and the best and have no complaints. The headers on my '72 have been one since '04 and I have never had one single issue, including never needing to tighten any bolts. I was on a trip when one of the stock manifolds blew a hole in the side. I was descending from the north rim of the Grand canyon and when I hit the throttle it was loud and nasty. I limped into Flagstaff and the best Muffler Magic could do for me is slap a set of el cheapos with burn off in 100 mile paint. That was '89 and those headers finally blew a collector gasket I didn't fix right away and sawed a hole in the flare. This was in '03. That was my camper truck which sat more than any other vehicle I owned, which is bad for exhaust. I put all kinds of miles on it up and down the East Coast. I've run full length headers on 4/6 drop trucks with no clearance issues. There are many parts of the undercarriage that hang lower than the headers. I've never had headers that hang below the frame

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:48 PM   #15
smoked68

Hedman headers, mid length. Dropped right in no worries. Went with the ceramic coats and large tubes. Plenty of clearence and look great.
4 bolt 383 Stroker,Weiand Super Charger, disc brakes, 9 inch, 391 gear, 20" Eagle wheels, muncie 4 speed/ Hurst shifter, 4/7 drop, Hedman midlengths, 3 inch exhaust w/ 2 chamber flows. 1966 Mustang with 306 roller, c-4, 9 inch Detroit locker rear. 1965 Fastback Mustang w/347 stroker, top loader 4spd, 9 inch detroit locker. 1966 Mustang coup, 306 roller, c4, 9 inch. 65 Cobra, 427, T6oo, 9inch, of course. First gen Hayabusa, airbox mod and running 2 exhaust cams.. Zoom Zoom Zoom
smoked68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:44 PM   #16
Craftsmen

Thanks guys for all your great advice. I'm not a rich man so I can only afford to buy one set of headers and I want to make a smart purchase. My budget is around $300. Yes I bought a crate motor, the $1500 variety, and again it fit my budget. The headers are mostly for looks and sound and any little performance gains they can give me. You all have given me great guidance and I appreciate your comments as always. Thanks, Rick