The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2015, 07:20 PM   #1
LuvNLife

Front End Rebuild With A "Woops"

Folks,

I was at a car show today with the tech that did the labor to rebuild the front end on my '87 GMC shortbed. I was telling him I've got a noticeable vibration/shake that comes on at about 45mph and is there up until around 55mph. Above that, it's there, but not too bad.

He replaced all of the bushings in the upper and lower control arms and put in new ball joints top and bottom, since it was apart. Tie rod ends, etc., were all still good. I know the layout of the shop, and the truck was done on a 2 post lift, and I assumed (damn, that word will bite you every time), he moved it to the ramp lift to finish tightening all down to spec. He told me the shop was busy that day, so he did all of the tightening down on the 2 post, with the suspension "unloaded". Right off the lift it went out for alignment, and I know the tech spent 2+ hours to get it right.

All was well until I drove it a couple weeks ago on a real rough (no potholes, though) road, where suddenly this shake came on out of nowhere. I know the driveshaft is good, and I've had 2 completely different sets of wheels and tires, so that's ruled out. I just don't know the results of what not finishing the suspension "loaded" could be. Thoughts are always welcome...

Jerry
LuvNLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:08 PM   #2
jjzepplin

Re: Front End Rebuild With A "Woops"

Tightening all your bushings should be done loaded or with your vehicle at rest. If it was sinched up off the ground there will be issues. Premature bushing failure and ride quality anomalies will try your patience forever... Rush jobs suck
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:02 AM   #3
1970pelle

I would run the truck back by and have him put in on the lift and give it a look. Double check all the nuts and bolts that where involved in the repair. Last thing you need is something to come apart and cause loss of steering. The would really make for a bad day for a whole bunch of folks.
I wouldn't drive till its checked, just to be sure. If you can do that.
Maybe it just through a wheel weight, something easy. Fingers crossed.

Ken

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit.”
― Ronald Reagan
1970pelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:02 AM   #4
LuvNLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjzepplin View Post
Tightening all your bushings should be done loaded or with your vehicle at rest. If it was sinched up off the ground there will be issues. Premature bushing failure and ride quality anomalies will try your patience forever... Rush jobs suck
I can only agree about rush jobs; it sucks on the consumer side, and in this case, really strains a long friendship.

I've driven the truck less than 200 miles since all of this was done. Any thoughts on the value of getting it back in the air, backing off all of the various bolts and nuts, then putting it on ramp-style lift to tighten it properly, or once done, short of ripping it all out and re-doing, it's a waste of time?

Either way, I do plan to take it back to the alignment shop, to at least see if it's still in spec; I just have a hunch it's not - I was pulling out of a parking space yesterday morning, turning hard left, doing maybe 5mph at most, and I heard a front tire squealing like I was nailing it, and that's never happened before.

Jerry
Old 05-31-2015, 11:08 AM   #5
LuvNLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970pelle View Post
I would run the truck back by and have him put in on the lift and give it a look. Double check all the nuts and bolts that where involved in the repair. Last thing you need is something to come apart and cause loss of steering. The would really make for a bad day for a whole bunch of folks.
I wouldn't drive till its checked, just to be sure. If you can do that.
Maybe it just through a wheel weight, something easy. Fingers crossed.

Ken
Ken,

Fortunately, I do have back roads I can use that keep the speed down, and decent shoulders too, if there was an issue. I'm always mindful that I'm driving a 28 year old vehicle.

I know if I slip the alignment tech a few bucks, he'll go over everything with a fine tooth comb for me while's it's on the machine and in the air...

Jerry