The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2015, 01:13 AM   #1
DustyNova

saving for some type of square body wich one?

Okay so im 20 years old i just got a job and im saving for my first square i was thinking k10 k5 blazer or k30 crew cab i can do the engine work because my dads a pretty good mechanic im going to try and learn from him i wanted to get a crew cab shorten the frame and put a shortbox on it not sure about the engine possibly a smallblock 400 i have alot of wrecking yards where i live for parts such as tear a part pic n pull sommers etc what would you guys recommend on the specs for this build?
DustyNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 02:48 AM   #2
TwoFiftyShifter

Re: saving for some type of square body wich one?

Come on dude. You are 20 years old and need to use some punctuation.

How do you plan to use this truck?
Old 06-01-2015, 07:42 AM   #3
andrewmp6

If its going to be a daily driver that sees traffic skip the 400 they run hot.Unless you need a 4 door pickup go for a standard cab they are a lot easier to park.But like said how will the truck be used?You build a daily driver different then a hardcore off road rig.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:27 AM   #4
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

For the heartbeat under the hood, thought about a 403? Or a 429? How about a 500? A 425? Heard of a 455?
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:39 AM   #5
mattcrp1

If it were me, I would start with a running, driving vehicle. Figure out what you eventually want, and build towards it. Projects can go sideways and get expensive quickly, if you have a plan it can help keep it on track.

Good luck,
Upper Control Arm Bushings: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=616974
IG mattcrp1
mattcrp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:49 AM   #6
DustyNova

Well my dad had a 400 it never really ran hot it was hopped up to where it smoked a 2012 mustang wile the motor was in an 89 k5 blazer im not sure what the gearing was
Old 06-01-2015, 12:16 PM   #7
DustyNova

im just planning on building a blazer for daily driving and hunting and some wheeling im not gonna drop 44s and a 20 inch lift on it and drive through a ****in river, Ill probably put somewhere between a 4 inch lift and 6 inch lift and drop 34s on it
Old 06-01-2015, 12:24 PM   #8
cnorth

Since your in SLC like me KSL is a good place to start, It seems like everyone around here want's a ton of money for them, took me quite a while before I found mine
cnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:00 PM   #9
DustyNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnorth View Post
Since your in SLC like me KSL is a good place to start, It seems like everyone around here want's a ton of money for them, took me quite a while before I found mine
i know a few old dead ones sitting near me my dad got his body for like 500 and put the 400 and 700r4 in it its an 85 heres a pic

Old 06-01-2015, 02:28 PM   #10
tucsonjwt

When buying an old truck, first think of what you will get when you sell it.

If you don't have much money, then you don't have much choice.

The best resale truck is a 1987 (because of TBI fuel injection) and a 6 cyl. is somewhat economical (for an old truck) - see Keith Seymore's truck on this forum.

If you are just going for your own transportation, just find a truck with no rust -they do exist, maybe in your neighborhood, but certainly not far away in the desert southwest. Check Craigslist to get an idea on prices.

Expect to replace most everything if you want a reliable truck. Most mechanical parts are relatively cheap, but trim parts are expensive and sometimes hard to get. Always get OEM parts if you can, new or used.

If your folks will fund you, you are better off finding a semi-restored good truck - probably $4-$7K range. Or, maybe a late model 2000 and up model with modern fuel economy and safety/convenience features.

Any $$ you dump into a hopped up/jacked up/slammed truck will likely be lost when you sell it, and it might even lower resale value. (Unless you have a true show truck, which sounds like it is beyond your resources - like $15-$25K.)

If you get a truck, check back here before you start dumping $$$ into it. The guys posting know where to get good parts inexpensively and which parts to avoid. Also, there is a lot of troubleshooting and repair knowledge here.

Good luck.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:03 PM   #11
DustyNova

-------------------
Old 06-01-2015, 03:04 PM   #12
DustyNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
When buying an old truck, first think of what you will get when you sell it.

If you don't have much money, then you don't have much choice.

The best resale truck is a 1987 (because of TBI fuel injection) and a 6 cyl. is somewhat economical (for an old truck) - see Keith Seymore's truck on this forum.

If you are just going for your own transportation, just find a truck with no rust -they do exist, maybe in your neighborhood, but certainly not far away in the desert southwest. Check Craigslist to get an idea on prices.

Expect to replace most everything if you want a reliable truck. Most mechanical parts are relatively cheap, but trim parts are expensive and sometimes hard to get. Always get OEM parts if you can, new or used.

If your folks will fund you, you are better off finding a semi-restored good truck - probably $4-$7K range. Or, maybe a late model 2000 and up model with modern fuel economy and safety/convenience features.

Any $$ you dump into a hopped up/jacked up/slammed truck will likely be lost when you sell it, and it might even lower resale value. (Unless you have a true show truck, which sounds like it is beyond your resources - like $15-$25K.)

If you get a truck, check back here before you start dumping $$$ into it. The guys posting know where to get good parts inexpensively and which parts to avoid. Also, there is a lot of troubleshooting and repair knowledge here.

Good luck.

i just dont like the newer body styles and i probably wouldnt resell it for an extremely long time id just keep repairing it maintaining it and driving it
Old 06-01-2015, 03:58 PM   #13
dieseldawg142

i'm not going to tell you which one to buy, your young & will prob grab the first decent crew or k5 that comes along.
can give you some insight as to how it is living with them on a daily basis though.
my '76 K5 had a 400/t350, converted 203 with 3:73's on 35's. nice & maneuverable, easy to park. bouncy on the freeway with the 35's though, poor mileage (8-10mpg). and 400's do run in the upper end of the temp gauge. ok for space till you get married & have dustynova jrs....

personally i like crews, enough space you can live in them...they can haul whatever you can stuff in them, long wheelbase, not a bad ride. b***h to park, they dont turn good. you will end up adopting a different driving style unless you like backing up a lot....their 20 ft plus. p**s-poor fuel mileage, & where i live, i get charged more to go on the ferry than the wife's envoy. not the best type of daily no matter what combo you put in it. daily drove my crew for 6 mons, was all i could literally afford. now it gets used pretty much like a rv....
dieseldawg142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 04:04 PM   #14
DustyNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldawg142 View Post
i'm not going to tell you which one to buy, your young & will prob grab the first decent crew or k5 that comes along.
can give you some insight as to how it is living with them on a daily basis though.
my '76 K5 had a 400/t350, converted 203 with 3:73's on 35's. nice & maneuverable, easy to park. bouncy on the freeway with the 35's though, poor mileage (8-10mpg). and 400's do run in the upper end of the temp gauge. ok for space till you get married & have dustynova jrs....

personally i like crews, enough space you can live in them...they can haul whatever you can stuff in them, long wheelbase, not a bad ride. b***h to park, they dont turn good. you will end up adopting a different driving style unless you like backing up a lot....their 20 ft plus. p**s-poor fuel mileage, & where i live, i get charged more to go on the ferry than the wife's envoy. not the best type of daily no matter what combo you put in it. daily drove my crew for 6 mons, was all i could literally afford. now it gets used pretty much like a rv....
im infertile bruh lmfao
Old 06-01-2015, 11:49 PM   #15
bmchevy1979

Well then the best thought is what are the odds of you having more than 3 people in the truck with you? I personally only have had more than 3 people in my trucks and blazers once most of the time I am traveling with another vehicle and we just split the group up but when I have it was because of a broken down vehicle. So I could easily drive a single cab pickup with a bench seat I even have pulled the back seat out of my current blazer and am putting in a jump seat.
81 GMC C3500 cab-chassis dually with utility bed 350sbc, Sm465, 14bolt with 4.10s nv4500 getting ready to go in
1979 Chevrolet K5 R.I.P. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=434096
1976 Chevrolet C10 R.I.P. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=434195
bmchevy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:15 AM   #16
1979-square-body

I have a son your age. He doesn't fair so well with punctuation or the written word either.

Anyway, what you are asking, what you have in mind and what you want to hear are 3 different things.

You already know what you want. You ask the question to get confirmation that your idea is wise. And in turn you want to hear that.

You are young, have limited finances and want something that will not match your current position in life. Get a long term project that you want and will work on for years to come as long as your finances allow. In the mean time for a dependable daily driver, get a used S10. Good on gas, insurance and maintainence.

Just my $0.02...
1979-square-body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:56 AM   #17
tucsonjwt

X2- $$$ and desires often diverge.

When using my 86 C20 454 as a daily driver around town I was getting close to $80-$100 per week in gas alone.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:19 AM   #18
DustyNova

Quote:

When using my 86 C20 454 as a daily driver around town I was getting close to $80-$100 per week in gas alone.
my jobs not even a mile from my house luckily what carb do you have
Old 06-02-2015, 10:21 AM   #19
DustyNova

I can use punctuation but alot of the times im just lazy.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:24 AM   #20
DustyNova

I also rarely leave the house lmao
Old 06-02-2015, 11:11 AM   #21
1979-square-body

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyNova View Post
alot of the times im just lazy.
So are you sure one of these trucks are for you?
1979-square-body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:26 AM   #22
DustyNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979-square-body View Post
So are you sure one of these trucks are for you?
yep but probably a single cab ive always wanted a square body since i was a kid
Old 06-02-2015, 12:42 PM   #23
bigblock73
yeller

Having an old truck isn't for someone who is lazy. They require work, maintenance, money...something you have to be willing to accept and be diligent about. If you are too lazy to punctuate your sentences, you won't be willing to take on the responsibility of an older vehicle...so I'd consider getting a newer car/truck you can turn the key and go.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:46 PM   #24
dieseldawg142

Quote:

heck ya!
$50 every 3 days....
my BB takes half a gallon just firing up
dieseldawg142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 01:02 PM   #25
DustyNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock73 View Post
Having an old truck isn't for someone who is lazy. They require work, maintenance, money...something you have to be willing to accept and be diligent about. If you are too lazy to punctuate your sentences, you won't be willing to take on the responsibility of an older vehicle...so I'd consider getting a newer car/truck you can turn the key and go.
i ment lazy in a different way its no problem to maintain things,