The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2015, 05:32 PM   #1
93FatBottom

1979 Steering Column rebuild?

Hey guys, after putting a new ignition cylinder in my truck I went to reassemble to steering column and the lock plate tool broke something in my column, no the steering wheel slides on the shaft and the shaft moves all around freely. It's not the tilt mechanism the broke, it's something between the tilt point and the steering wheel. Are there any rebuild kits? Truck has tilt and cruise control.

Thanks guys!
93FatBottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:21 AM   #2
69heavychevy

Re: 1979 Steering Column rebuild?

I did a complete rebuild on my tilt column a year ago and used rockauto and ebay to source the parts I needed. My guess would be that you probably broke one of the upper bearing "cages"...you need to tear it down to find out for sure what was damaged.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:15 PM   #3
93FatBottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69heavychevy View Post
I did a complete rebuild on my tilt column a year ago and used rockauto and ebay to source the parts I needed. My guess would be that you probably broke one of the upper bearing "cages"...you need to tear it down to find out for sure what was damaged.
Where can I find the replacement? The shaft that steering wheel pressed onto is lose in every direction. I'm going to pull it apart today and I'll send a pic of what busted. Thank you for the reply!
93FatBottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:26 PM   #4
69heavychevy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steering-Col...27e57e&vxp=mtr

This is the bearing I'm talking about, kind of expensive since the last time I bought them...probably wouldn't hurt to shop around if you decide to get them. There's two of them in the upper portion of the steering column. They help keep the shaft centered. The way those usually break is when your taking the column apart, and if they did break you should've had bearings coming out of the column.
Are you sure its not the actual tilt mechanism that is loose. If that's the case it still requires you to tear down column a significant amount to tighten the 4 torx bolts.