The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2015, 11:36 PM   #1
In The Ten Ring

One thing leads to another: body rust.

I am in the middle of a "soft restoration" of my truck. What began strictly as a limited plan to get it running again has turned into much more. I then had to get a new radiator, rebuild the brakes, replace the cab-to-frame bushings, get a new floor mat, and replace a couple of rusted out body panels. However, as I get more deeply into getting those body panels off, I keep finding more rust.

As of tonight, I am adding both the new (to me) radiator core support and hood cowling to the list of panels to be media blasted and painted. What else awaits?
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:08 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: One thing leads to another: body rust.

Open a can of worms and you will find more worms. That's why they call it rust "out". It starts from behind and you are only seeing where it ended up. You see where it began when you tear into it. They don't all rust exactly the same...sometimes. You may be pleasantly surprised or the other way

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:43 AM   #3
hugger6933

Greg I know your pain Even my 70 short bed "project cheapie" has turned in to a rotisserie type frame off. It started out as one I was gonna change out the intake and swap to a HEI then do a "little odds and ends". Take your aggravation and times it times 5 [thats how many I have in line to build]. That is just my 68's 70's and the 71 one ton. I have several late Z71's stacked up to build as well.
I am making progress though I can get in my driveway to the shop now it was so packed I had to park in the ditch then walk to the shop
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:11 AM   #4
cooperhw

man I feel your pain on this issue.
I was in the middle of a 63 frame off build when I "found my 68 C30 with a motorhome on top of it".
I thought I would buy it and remove the motorhome body and put a flat bed on it and go. When I got there to pick it up was when I saw it had a hole in the roof and back of the cab you could walk through to get into the motorhome. I guess I should have done what everybody else who looked at it did and walk away, but noooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
I though, not a deal breaker, just fix the cab and good to go,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Refusing to quit is strong driver for me and most of us here.
Peel back the onion and fix what you have to and move forward.
What else we gonna do? Take up knitting?
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:57 AM   #5
BossHogg69
motor exploder

I went from pulling the engine in my '69 for a rebuild and to clean up under the hood, and ended up having to fix the bottom of the core support, the inner kick panels on both sides, inner & outer rockers, sections of the floor, cab corners, both door bottoms (inside), and the door hinge pockets on both sides. It's a slippery slope. If you really want your feelings hurt, have the whole cab media blasted and then you'll be crying for sure. Just when I thought I had all my rust fixed, then I had it media blasted before paint and that uncovered pin holes all in the header panel and around the bottom of the front windshield. My truck had been previously 'restored' in 1991, and was full of bondo like you've described in your build. I just bit the bullet and redid the whole truck. If the truck hadn't been in the family (grandfather - father - me) for so long, I wouldn't have even entertained the idea of fixing it.

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:24 AM   #6
rustrunner

Just to cheer you up, you will find more.
1953 Fruehauf 30' Lowboy
1928 Cat 30
1939 TORO Bullet Tractor
rustrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:52 PM   #7
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
I am in the middle of a "soft restoration" of my truck. What began strictly as a limited plan to get it running again has turned into much more. I then had to get a new radiator, rebuild the brakes, replace the cab-to-frame bushings, get a new floor mat, and replace a couple of rusted out body panels. However, as I get more deeply into getting those body panels off, I keep finding more rust.

As of tonight, I am adding both the new (to me) radiator core support and hood cowling to the list of panels to be media blasted and painted. What else awaits?
Think of it as opening a Christmas present. As the wrapping comes off who knows what lies in that plain, unmarked box. Maybe treasure, or perhaps just a lump of coal.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:12 PM   #8
special-K
Special Order

Just remember, it's all about meeting the challenge. Nobody can call you a wimp after making it through this restoration. Well, actually they can, but they can't say there's any rust

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 01:54 AM   #9
In The Ten Ring

Thanks guys. I am getting there. Yesterday I got the passenger fenders off (outer and inner) and I CUT the front of the inner fender from the core support. It was that far gone. Let met me find a pic.

When I went back and removed two of those 3 bolts, the core support broke off around the bolts and came with them!

So ya, it's a challenge and you guys are encouragement to keep me going, as well as advice.

I hope that this will largely fix the front end rust and if I get a new cab, that will do up the truck. It will still need a frame off but should be much less work by then.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 01:57 AM   #10
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post

It's not a cheap hobby by any means. It's worth while however.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote