The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-07-2015, 11:29 PM   #1
screech

Electric fan/radiator set up--trans cooler set up

I'm in the middle of my 5.3/4l60e swap in my 66c10 stepside.

Curious what you guys are running for radiator and e fan set ups as well as trans cooler.

I have a new radiator on the way but interested in what fans work best? Dual speed single or two smaller ones?

Also what's the best for a trans cooler set up? I know if stacked in front of rad, smaller stacked with fan underneath, and the cylindrical fin style underneath?

I'm thinking the dual pass cylindrical fun style wouldn't be enough? Or would a 30" be fine alone?

Here's my rig...

Build:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=669050
screech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:46 PM   #2
screech

Re: Electric fan/radiator set up--trans cooler set up

Come on guys no input?

Build:
Old 06-08-2015, 08:15 PM   #3
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by screech View Post
Come on guys no input?
Not even 24 hours worth of patience?

While waiting for us, you might find some of the answers to your questions within member builds, or with the search this forum tool at the top right.

Did the new radiator you ordered have a provision for an internal trans cooler? Some factory style radiators have a second circuit with fittings for the transmission. If not, then yes you'll need to go with an external cooler like those you mentioned.

Depending what your use of the truck is, and what kind of stall you have, the necessity of a cooler changes. A 4l60e with a low stall doesn't generate nearly the same heat as a high-stall 4l80e for example. For ease, a lot of folks just run the little 3-4 pass square coolers and toss them in front of the radiator. If you don't have room, or need/want to run a larger cooler, then I'd strongly consider the units that have their own independant fan cooling. They are much more expensive and harder to fit, but the segregated fan and wiring, they can be run separate from the engine fans. For staging lanes, or motor-off cooldown periods, this can be an advantage.

There are members who don't run a cooler at all, but many of those are running non-od trans.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:43 PM   #4
screech

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Not even 24 hours worth of patience?

While waiting for us, you might find some of the answers to your questions within member builds, or with the search this forum tool at the top right.

Did the new radiator you ordered have a provision for an internal trans cooler? Some factory style radiators have a second circuit with fittings for the transmission. If not, then yes you'll need to go with an external cooler like those you mentioned.

Depending what your use of the truck is, and what kind of stall you have, the necessity of a cooler changes. A 4l60e with a low stall doesn't generate nearly the same heat as a high-stall 4l80e for example. For ease, a lot of folks just run the little 3-4 pass square coolers and toss them in front of the radiator. If you don't have room, or need/want to run a larger cooler, then I'd strongly consider the units that have their own independant fan cooling. They are much more expensive and harder to fit, but the segregated fan and wiring, they can be run separate from the engine fans. For staging lanes, or motor-off cooldown periods, this can be an advantage.

There are members who don't run a cooler at all, but many of those are running non-od trans.

You are right. I'm sorry that was rude of me. Just excited to get parts coming.

As for use its a stock 4l60e with stock converter and corvette shift solenoid.
Just will be for cruising with stock 5.3 with a tune and exhaust. So not tons of power and heat I would think. I'm starting to think the 30" cylindrical dual pass cooler might not be enough air flow. The radiator doesn't have trans cooler built in because it's narrower to fit the c10 opening.

I would like to do a cylindrical frame mount of possible to make less clutter thru the engine bay.

As far as fans I'm thinking I'll just have to get a single 16" dual speed fan and build a cowl since it is only a 26" wide rad.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Build: