The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2015, 02:56 PM   #1
Cap70

ls swap fuel line qustions.

does anybody have info on regulators and lbs. of psi? 6.0 vortec?
Cap70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:40 PM   #2
Aruba1

Re: ls swap fuel line qustions.

I am in the process of installing a 5.3L (LQ4) in mine with an LS6 intake. In my case, my fuel rail does not have a return line provision so I need to run a 2003 Corvette fuel filter that connects between the external fuel pump and the rail and then the filter a provision to run a return line back to the tank. I read somewhere on the internet that the filter has a built-in regulator. But in case it's not important as the LS6 intake has a fuel pressure regulator also. In stock form it's around 60 psi.

I think the first thing is to find out what intake do you have (return or returnless) and if it's regulated. Also what model/year 6.0 do you have?
Attached Images

Aruba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:10 PM   #3
cooperhw

The stock corvette filter regulators from the local discount auto parts stores work fine. Pressure goes into it, filters the fuel, allows the regulated fuel to continue on towards the motor, and has a second line out the back that unnecessary fuel gets sent back to the tank.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:22 PM   #4
Cap70

I have a inline regulator, and in line fuel pump that pushes 100psi, what I have heard from some is to install reg. on the return line does that sound right?
Old 06-10-2015, 04:46 PM   #5
Cap70

the motor came out of 2001 chevy 2500 hd (80,000 miles) has return line, 4 wire setup-
Old 06-10-2015, 06:02 PM   #6
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap70 View Post
I have a inline regulator, and in line fuel pump that pushes 100psi, what I have heard from some is to install reg. on the return line does that sound right?
My 67 Chevelle has a 2007 LS-2 in it with and inline pump immediately after fuel line leaves tank. Goes into the back of a corvette filter/regulator and regulated fuel goes forward. There is a second line coming from the back of the filter/regulator that takes any unused fuel back to the tank. My return line is about 16" long total.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:07 PM   #7
hugger6933

Tons of people use the Corvette style regulator but on the 02 like your the regulator is mounted on the rail. Now the lines went to a single line like 05 somewhere there about.[on the truck]
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:09 PM   #8
Aruba1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap70 View Post
No, it does not. Maybe this will help you...
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2015, 07:39 PM   #9
Cap70

This how I have my setup--I have relocated tank underneath bed, it goes from sending unit,inline fuel pump,fuel filter, fuel rail in, then fuel rail out, regulator, fuel tank,does that sound right, if not then I Need that part in pic, thanks guys for y'all's help, good first day on the site!
Old 06-10-2015, 10:04 PM   #10
Aruba1

Please see my #2 post. You got some homework to do. Find out if you have a returnless rail. If you do, that filter in the picture is a WIX 33737. It sells online for about $32. O'reilly has their own version (microgard 33737) for $19.99 (I bought it this morning). Some people claims it's a bit louder than the wix so beware. You also need the special press-in fittings that costs between $10-15 a piece. I hope to get some at pull-a-part. If you have to use the 33737 setup I would leave out the regulator, there is no reason for one, specially not from the rail to the tank.

I have been researching the swap for a few days and you really need to read a LOT because of some conflicting information on the internet. But the more you read the more you will learn and eventually it will make sense :-). This site has more LSX conversion that you will ever need, lol. and I am not kidding: http://www.gmt400.com/forum/forumdis...LSX-Carb-Swaps

By the way, what transmission will you be using? Do you have stand alone harness? My gearbox is an NV4500 and I have the Current Performance harness. The NV4500 is a pain to convert because of the special parts it need (special flywheel, extended pilot bearing, metric bolts for the flywheel and pressure plate. But once you have all these parts i will be able to use the tranny along with the 1996 clutch system that I got).
Old 06-10-2015, 10:40 PM   #11
Cap70

Thanks a lot, Im running a 4l60e w/ overdrive, I used a dished flywheel with spacer, and lined up perfect,---what do you got?
Old 06-11-2015, 12:19 AM   #12
PunishedC10

Subscribed. I have a 97/98 ls1 in my 85 swb. I have been googling until mind went numb. I have a Walbro universal intank pump, and I haven't installed any of the fuel stuff yet. I read that inline fuel pumps burn up quickly, that I cant use an 85 tank because it doesn't have baffels... Also read that the 85 fuel lines arent rated for EFI setups. I am trying to decide between an 87 driverside tank, or going with a suburban tank behind the license plate. Or just running a fuel cell.
Posted via Mobile Device
PunishedC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:07 PM   #13
Aruba1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunishedC10 View Post
Subscribed. I have a 97/98 ls1 in my 85 swb. I have been googling until mind went numb. I have a Walbro universal intank pump, and I haven't installed any of the fuel stuff yet. I read that inline fuel pumps burn up quickly, that I cant use an 85 tank because it doesn't have baffels... Also read that the 85 fuel lines arent rated for EFI setups. I am trying to decide between an 87 driverside tank, or going with a suburban tank behind the license plate. Or just running a fuel cell.
Posted via Mobile Device

True, inline/external pumps have short life. With the fuel lines, are you referring to metal lines or fuel hoses? If the latter I would replace all of them with fuel injected line. Ebay has some rated at 225 PSI that should be safe considering the average 60 PSI pressure that your pump will put out. If you have metal lines then I am confused why it can't work with EFI.