The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2015, 05:39 PM   #1
ih8vols

Headliner repair help

Hello. I recently purchased a “new” truck that I’m slowly going to work on upgrading and restoring. I didn’t grow up around trucks, so it’s all going to be a learning experience! This forum has already helped me tremendously!

First thing I want to do is to fix the headliner. It was nasty and the foam disintegrated when it was touched. I removed the trim and pulled out the fiberglass (I think) board. Overall, it’s in pretty good shape, except for 2 areas. I’ve watched several videos on how to re-upholster it, so I’m planning to go that route.

Here’s the parts I’m not certain on:

1) I think the board looks good for 36 years old, but do you guys agree or should I try to get a new one to start with?
Link to photos: https://drive.google.com/folderview?...Ek&usp=sharing

If you think I can use the one I have, here’s my other questions:

2) The board is fairly stiff except a couple spots. What can I do to firm it up a little? Is there anything I can spray it with?
3) After getting the board out of the truck, I realized there was a piece missing around the cargo light (see picture). It’s also a little rough around the visor holes. Can I patch this? If so, what should I use so it isn’t visible once I get the fabric glued onto the board?
Old 06-11-2015, 02:27 AM   #2
bilfman

Re: Headliner repair help

Brush the old foam and then it is ready for gluing. To stiffen it up you can glue a fabric to the back of the headliner, you may need a couple of layers. To fill in holes you can do the same glue and fabric fill. I use a spray fabric adhesive. Treat the repairs similar to Fiberglas work. To put on the fabric, lay it on the headliner in its gluing position. The pull half back revealing the headliner and spray glue the headliner and fabric, grab the far end of the fabric and keep it held high and pull it back over the headliner, work it into place. Repeat this for the other half, much easier working half at a time.

1971 GMC 3/4 Ton 4X4
bilfman is offline   Reply With Quote