The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2015, 03:39 PM   #1
derotoreut
Roto Reuter thats the name...

What radiator/transmission cooler for LS3 swap?

It looks like I'm going to use the GM Performance Connect and Cruise LS3 6.2L, 480 HP with 4L70E transmission for my build (part #CPSLS3764804L70E). I would like to use a radiator that has the transmission cooler built into it instead of running a separate cooler (if possible) for a cleaner install. I'd like to get some feedback on what others have used, and if I need to run anything special. I would think that I could have the trans cooler built into my radiator for this set up. Thanks for your feedback.

1970 SWB Fleet K10 4X4, 5.3L LM7, 4L60E, Dakota Digital RTX, Vintage Air, Ididit tilt
1971 SWB Fleet C10 - Original SWB Arizona truck, new custom restoration project

"Kick out your motor and drive while you're still alive - kick it out!" - Heart 1977
derotoreut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 04:15 PM   #2
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

Re: What radiator/transmission cooler for LS3 swap?

Pricey, but if your gonna do it right This is the way I will go when I have to replace the tired 305 in my Silverado, E-Rod LS3 6.2
http://www.jegs.com/i/Be-Cool-Radiat...rentProductId=
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:52 PM   #3
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

If you change your mind, I can vouch for running a trans cooler solo. Get a fan cooled unit on a separate switch. Soooo nice for heavy traffic or staging lanes.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:21 PM   #4
derotoreut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
If you change your mind, I can vouch for running a trans cooler solo. Get a fan cooled unit on a separate switch. Soooo nice for heavy traffic or staging lanes.
Well it's not that I've really made my mind up. It's just that it would be a cleaner build if I could do it with a transmission cooler built into the radiator. On the other hand if the cooler can't handle it, that's another story. If this combo is capable of being cooled that way, then that's the way I'd like to go. It's not going to be dragged or auto crossed. I just want to do what's best for the transmission.

Where would I mount a fan cooled unit? Would it go in front of my AC condenser? If so, how would that affect the radiator?

What about using a cooler built into the radiator along with a frame mounted cooler?

1970 SWB Fleet K10 4X4, 5.3L LM7, 4L60E, Dakota Digital RTX, Vintage Air, Ididit tilt

"Kick out your motor and drive while you're still alive - kick it out!" - Heart 1977
Old 06-21-2015, 10:41 PM   #5
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I run a fan cooled unit vertically between my framerails just after the core support. I have a stalled 4l80e and the trans creates a solid amount of heat. I didn't want to put that extra heat load on my radiator, and I already have a passive 2 row cooler for my hydroboost cooling.

I don't like the internal ones because every pass the trans cooler makes is one pass less the radiator gets for cooling out of the same square footage, or the added thickness that some of the HD ones have.

Yes you could run an additional cooler to your internal unit, but going with a fan cooled one at that point would be a waste. Just consider that your paying more for the radiator to start with (unless you get it from a donor), and then adding the additional external cooler. Compared to the cost of a good medium sized fan cooler, which is usually under $200.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:53 PM   #6
GMC-YA68

I will be using the Entropy radiator that is specific for the LSX. I'll be using their built in 2 row tranny cooler as well. Like yourself I didn't want a separate fan/cooler but BREW sounds like he has a sweet azz setup but my convertor/tranny is stock. Buy their fan switch and you can keep the fans on 24/7 if you feel like over-riding them with a simple switch. Mine will be here tomorrow. You can have it because mine will never be done. Lol

'72 Jimmy 4x4 - 5.3/4L65E/NP205 swap
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=663780

Last edited by GMC-YA68; 06-21-2015 at 11:01 PM.
GMC-YA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:00 PM   #7
DLW

http://www.entropyrad.com/67-72-chev...-radiator.html
DLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:07 AM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I've got way more pics in the build (link in sig), but here are a couple. DeRale makes good products, but its worth going to their upgraded units (coated fins,multirow multipass, easy to hook into with AN).

Old 06-22-2015, 01:01 PM   #9
DLW

Well, you just gave me an idea and a reason to spend more money, thanks a lot ..

I will still use the built in Radiator cooler then output to an external cooler (that was my plan) like BR3W posted. Transmissions hate heat, and I'm using a little stall in my TC too so I will at least feel better. 4L70E's that comes with the 480 HP C&C are borderline at supporting 495 lbs. TQ. Cooler the better, to a point.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:36 PM   #10
Hart_Rod

I recommend running an auxillary cooler as well. Another advantage to an aux cooler (as well as the cooling) is the extra capacity it provides the system.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:35 AM   #11
Mayfield

I'm running a Trans cooler as well with my setup. I've got it going through both the radiator and a separate cooler.
My temp seems to stay around 150. Just curious what Temps you all are seeing.
Mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:39 PM   #12
derotoreut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC-YA68 View Post
I will be using the Entropy radiator that is specific for the LSX. I'll be using their built in 2 row tranny cooler as well. Like yourself I didn't want a separate fan/cooler but BREW sounds like he has a sweet azz setup but my convertor/tranny is stock. Buy their fan switch and you can keep the fans on 24/7 if you feel like over-riding them with a simple switch. Mine will be here tomorrow. You can have it because mine will never be done. Lol
Sweet… I'll take yours! Lol

Old 06-23-2015, 09:47 PM   #13
derotoreut

Thanks for the pictures BR3W. That's a nice set up. I agree that DeRale makes some nice products. I actually looked into a frame rail type or heat sink type for my last build, but changed my mind. I guess I'd like to see more pictures or ideas of what others are doing. Rob if you have any pictures let us know.

What did Chevy do on cars that ran these stock 430 HP or 480 HP LS3 / 4L70E set ups?

Old 06-24-2015, 09:45 AM   #14
DLW

Most Chevy vehicles incorporate the transmission cooler into the factory radiator. Many people use those in line with an external cooler, or some may choose to use a different tranny pan to add more fluid, or do both. You can always read through your C&C instructions and see what they recommend for your package. I have the same 4L70E you will be getting, but running a circle-D converter with a 3K stall and I am going to plumb through my Entropy radiator then to an external trans cooler for the added comfort it will stay cool when I need it too.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:05 AM   #15
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by derotoreut View Post
Thanks for the pictures BR3W. That's a nice set up. I agree that DeRale makes some nice products. I actually looked into a frame rail type or heat sink type for my last build, but changed my mind. I guess I'd like to see more pictures or ideas of what others are doing. Rob if you have any pictures let us know.

What did Chevy do on cars that ran these stock 430 HP or 480 HP LS3 / 4L70E set ups?
I installed this aux cooler on the output of my factory radiator tranny cooler.
Attached Images

Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote