The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2015, 01:43 PM   #1
Bowtiguy

How can I get my LS lower in the frame???

The setup..

1) CPP sheetmetal mounts
2) CPP slider mounts (the small ones)
3) factory K frame
4) CTSV oil pan.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with this. I moved the CPP sheet metal mounts back to the second/third holes. Front hole on drivers side has the NLE steering rod coming through.

The truck pan hung below the stock K-frame 2-3". The CTSV pan gave me plenty of ground clearance but I've got at least 1.5" clearance between the front half of the pan and the top of the K frame.

The Headman TriY headers clear just fine with this set-up, but it looks like a K frame mount would be the ONLY style of mount that would still allow clearance for the headers if the motor was dropped down 1-2".

Thoughts??
Attached Images

Last edited by Bowtiguy; 06-22-2015 at 01:54 PM.
Bowtiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:48 PM   #2
Bowtiguy

Re: How can I get my LS lower on the frame???

My overall limitation may be the fact that I'd like to add factory location A/C next year. I'll mock up power steering/alternator bracket and crank pulley on Wednesday but I doubt that will be the limiting factor.

Overall goal is the best handling set-up I can get, so the A/C may have to go up high anyhow.

I'm happy with how far back everything sits against the firewall. The TR6060 trans is as far back as I can get it even with the high hump installed.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:21 PM   #3
Bowtiguy

Re: How can I get my LS lower in the frame???

well, power steering pump and mounting bracket have PLENTY of clearance which confirms my questions about getting this baby a bit lower. Lonking for a bolt in. New to welding and I've got more $$ than time right about now.

Here are a few pic's of the header clearance with the current set-up
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2015, 11:23 PM   #4
Bowtiguy

just for reference, The TR6060 installed.
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2015, 03:06 AM   #5
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Hmmm, I don't recall off the top of my head but I don't think any of the aftermarket crossmembers have a provision to lower the motor at all. I'm not sure if something like a dropmember would help, since iirc the actual motor mount locations aren't changed in height.

Otherwise you would probably need to consider having a set of stands fabbed up, or running a motor plate. The motor plate would let you put it anywhere since the mounts wouldn't need to be "under" it at all, so you can get ALL of that 1.5+ that you have.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:59 AM   #6
Custom 68

I built my own mounts like Brew said and got it as low as I wanted. I dont know what all options are out there I did mine 10 years ago so there was not nearly the options to purchase plus I am kinda cheap.
My factory ac is inside my side rail. I slide it in from the front. Those are some nice looking mounts and your install looks great.
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:00 PM   #7
Bowtiguy

Thanks for the input guys!

I'm going to get the headers on again tomorrow along with all the accessories & starter and see if having these mounts modified or making new ones will cause and clearance issues...I might end up with drivers side header issues.

For the record, all the mounts are CPP for now.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:20 AM   #8
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Check your frame for level (at ride height), & figure 3-4 degrees down to the rear on the eng/trans.....it looks to me that you are pretty close Longhorn
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote