The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2015, 12:49 PM   #1
Tony_SS

Talking My new square, along with a ball joint question!

Here she is.. I drove down to Little Rock Arkansas to buy this off of craigslist.. It did not disappoint! 1987 TBI Factory 350/700R4. Body is solid, inside is clean.. crack free dash. We drove 8 hours straight to bring it back. Long day!

Tony_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:50 PM   #2
Tony_SS

Re: My new square, along with a ball joint question!

Now, I just got it inspected this morning. The lower right ball joint is popping up from the control arm... Can a new one just be pressed?
Old 06-23-2015, 01:48 PM   #3
Jay2Cor517

Tony_SS, I don't know the answer to your question but your truck is SWEEEET! I love the look just as it is
Old 06-23-2015, 02:10 PM   #4
TKCR

Nice!!!! The interior is awesome, get her cleaned up and detailed on the inside and it will look like a million bucks
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:34 PM   #5
greg64

Nice truck. The lower ball joints are pressed into the control arm from below, and then fit into the spindle with a taper and castellated nut holding it together. Changing the ball joints needs a spring compressor and a press.
greg64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:39 PM   #6
Richs'55

Just replaced the ball joints on the lower control arms and replaced bushings on control arm shaft on the '81 frame. Took it to a machine shop to have old ones pressed out and new ones pressed in. Cost me a bout $75
Richs'55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:17 PM   #7
1970pelle

I have never removed a lower control arm to replace ball joints. I have done my fair share of them. Back before you could buy correct tools, its a sledge hammer first. Then a jack and a smaller sledge to rap it in.

I have a on the vehicle press from my Dodge truck days. That and a 3/4 impact they jump out, ease them back in with a 1/2in impact & breaker bar. Doesn't take more than 15 min. a side. After tear down of course.

KA

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit.”
― Ronald Reagan
1970pelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:23 AM   #8
Wgesnerjr

Just did this on my caprice wagon as it was popping when I turned the wheels left or right.

In may I replaced all the control arms (upper & lower - both sides) with NAPA replacement arms. They were " made in Taiwan" but the counter guy assured me they had MOOG ball joints. Should have known better. On the test drive I got 2 blocks from the house and the left front ball joint let loose. I was only doing 10 mph and turning a corner so it wasnt too bad. Turns out that the treads on the bottom nut pulled out! Cheap hardware but probably a good joint

Decided not to take any more chances and bought new MOOG "Problem Solver" lower ball joints and rented the install tool. It was an expensive deposit but worth it. Used breaker bar and 1/2 inch ratchet to take out and press in. Could not get mine to go in perfectly stright, but after it bottomed out was flush all around. Now I can drive it with confidence and enjoy the Hotchkis suspension! Highly suggest the MOOG parts and tool rental.

Bonus was that since I rented the tool from Advance auto parts, it put my bill over $100. That got me a $25 off coupon from my speed perks account! Used it for a new water pump for the 5.3!

Your truck looks great. I am thinking of using the Centerline wheels like you have. What size wheel/tire combo are you running? Any problems with scrapping or rubbing?
LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project
Wgesnerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:17 AM   #9
DBLSPRT68

That is SWEET! Just clean it up some, and enjoy!!!! I'd LOVE to find one like that. How much was it, if you dont mind sayin.....
PROJECT TRUCK: 1985 SWB C10 Silverado Black/Charcoal, 1990 V2500 Suburban, 2018 Suburban, 2005 GMC 2500HD CCSB, 2014 Toyota Camry SE, HAD.....1968 Camaro RS/SS Family owned since new; 350 3 speed SOLD
DBLSPRT68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:56 AM   #10
Katrina/10

Really looks great under the hood.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:56 AM   #11
Tony_SS

Thanks all. I'm very busy with work, so I am dropping her off with my trusty builder. He's never let me down! Plus I need it done so it can pass inspection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgesnerjr View Post
Your truck looks great. I am thinking of using the Centerline wheels like you have. What size wheel/tire combo are you running? Any problems with scrapping or rubbing?
Thanks they are 15x10 with 275/60-15 all the way around. No rubbing at full lock, looks like a 3" spring drop. The ride is rough! Air shocks in the back and cheap ones up front. I'm going with Beltechs all around and going to use some Airbags in the rear for load assist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBLSPRT68 View Post
That is SWEET! Just clean it up some, and enjoy!!!! I'd LOVE to find one like that. How much was it, if you dont mind sayin.....
I'd rather not say, I think I paid top dollar! But everything is totally solid and clean. It really just needs paint. I'm not worried, these trucks are not getting any cheaper.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:55 PM   #12
Rich84

I like the paint..Just Sayin.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 03:18 PM   #13
Tony_SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich84 View Post
I like the paint..Just Sayin.
Thanks, I kind of do too! I'm in no hurry to change it.. I was more after the clean interior, TBI and stock engine.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:17 PM   #14
Security guy

Nice! Keep the TBI also.. A lot of people ditch it for a carb, but my last one had TBI and loved it. I like keeping things original, but that's just my opinion.
Security guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:00 PM   #15
rich weyand

What tire pressures are you running? Tires with that big a contact patch don't need high pressures. I am running 35F/30R unloaded on 31x10.5R15 and have the same width tread you do, more or less. Running around with 40-45 psi in the tires will make it ride like a brick.

1978 K10 RCSB DD.
rich weyand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:01 PM   #16
rich weyand

Also, keep the hot-air/cold-air induction system on it. If you replace that with an open-element air cleaner, you will regret it.

1978 K10 RCSB DD.
rich weyand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:59 AM   #17
Hart_Rod

nice truck
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:28 AM   #18
Tony_SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Security guy View Post
Nice! Keep the TBI also.. A lot of people ditch it for a carb, but my last one had TBI and loved it. I like keeping things original, but that's just my opinion.
Yep, keeping the TBI. Someday I might go LSx in which I'll be able to use the fuel tank at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich weyand View Post
Also, keep the hot-air/cold-air induction system on it. If you replace that with an open-element air cleaner, you will regret it.
Yep keeping that too. The factory did it that way for a reason I believe!
Old 06-26-2015, 02:29 PM   #19
RUN GMC

Wow Tony congrats on the truck ....haven't read you in awhile(maliburacing.com)....I have the exact version of your truck but in a GMC make.....same drive train with dual tanks...and that kind of rare medium metallic gray color.......Tony can you tell me about the load air bags I know thats something I need for mine.......

Tony what happened to your other truck....the squarebody that was black or blue?

Rich Weyand can you tell me more about the hot air/cold air system I wonder if that is the sometime rough idle I have on mine...............a few pics of mine........

RUN GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:37 PM   #20
Tony_SS

Looks nice!!! I have a rear flip kit done, so I don't know if I can use bags but there are air bag helper kits on the market. How is your rear lowered?

I have a flip kit so there's hardly any room... but here's an example of what they are.

Last edited by Tony_SS; 06-26-2015 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:49 PM   #21
RUN GMC

Pulled some leaf springs and flip with lowering springs in the front.......but i also have the drop spindles and springs for the front which I didnt install because I sorted out the issues....saving it for another truck (75-79)...I have nitro shocks on the front and kyb shocks on the back....
RUN GMC is offline   Reply With Quote