The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2015, 10:28 PM   #1
awbrown

Pricing on our trucks

I have had 2 people stop and ask if my 63 is for sale ,I was not home so both guys are coming back Sunday... There are 2 things to think on as I figure if you were to entertain selling .. Replacement cost , that is if you have to have another truck (63 of course) and second what you have in it depending on what you started with ... Mine is a bit ratty ,it has rust here and there , but not so noticeable.. I have up graded it with power steering ,different engine , and it drives great , ralley wheels and firehawk tires ,sway bar 3.08 gears TH350 rebuilt Q-jet carb aluminum manifold ,aluminum rad ,electric fan ,no a/c but the compressor is on the engine ...The engine still has low oil pressure hot , but other than that it is not bad ............I figure 4k if I was to sell it , I have about 3500 in it now .. not perfect but it runs and drives well... What do you think ??
awbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:29 PM   #2
Uptown83

Re: Pricing on our trucks

If the rust ain't to bad sounds like a good deal.
Uptown83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:18 AM   #3
joedoh

before you hear "really its worth what someone wants to pay"...

I did a lot of research before listing mine for sale. there are always guys to tell you "I bought that same thing for 25 cents-$500-$1000-some spit and a handy", etc, but frequently they are the exception and not the rule.

seems to me the biggest drivers are:

rust
shortbed (sorry long steppers and fleeters, its true)
big window (sorry mailslotters, its true)
running condition
and upgrades

64-66 seem to bring slightly more than 63, and 63-66 substantially more than 60-62.

in that approximate order. a non running, non rusty, long fleetside small window predominantly available for $2000 would add $1000 for each of the above, making a non rusty 6 cyl runner big window shorty worth about $5-6k. add some more for upgrades, like v8 (or how about a 4 banger!), efi, power steering, air con, etc etc etc. stockers with these upgrades sell (not asking, selling) between 8-12k depending on year. the bagged out dino trucks with porterbuilts and smoothies and big motor swaps, 18-30k.

using that criteria, you are in the ballpark at $4k, might want to be at $5k.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:37 AM   #4
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I also consider the "what I have into it" part as a highly scalable factor. Think of it like a house; there are a million-and-one things you CAN do to it, but they will all return different values (i.e. a good kitchen with nice materials might get the $8k it cost and then some back out...while an $8k front lawn, probably wouldn't).

In some cases, the things you put into it actually can detract from value, if the buyer feels like they have to do it again anyway. I didn't see which engine you put in it, but unless you have a receipt for a crate motor or something, most buyers won't put much stock in its quality, especially if it has low o.p. or another visible problem.

Things like the e-fan, aluminum radiator and upgraded manifolds will have a little bit of positive value, as they are visible and easily retainable for the next owner (i.e. stuff "Everyone" would do, so its seen as a bonus to the buyer).

Post a couple pics up would ya? Sometimes a truck with a good "look" can eek out a little more cash as it inspires the potential buyer to see the potential. That being said, I don't think your price is unreasonable.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:05 AM   #5
McStuffin

As someone that has been looking for a 65 short, big window for some time, the above replies are pretty accurate. Many 'upgrades' are viewed as worthless if they need to be re-done anyway. Also, trucks in primer, are viewed as red flags; chances are they were not done correctly or done to hide it's sins... same goes for carpet that has been glued down. Typically, the offer gets reduced because it's 'figured' it needs to be re-done. Good sheet metal, completeness of truck and the bones of the truck are what drive cost... at least from my experience.
McStuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:33 AM   #6
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

This far North and this far East, your giving it away.

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:21 AM   #7
awbrown

I think joe has it about right ,it aint no cream puff ,but it is a driver .. the engine is ,like I said not something I would drive cross country , but 25 or 30 miles is the normal trip ,the eninge is a 91 serpentine belt model .. Like all old trucks it does need some tinkering ,leaky PS hose maybe a small trans leak .. Inner fenders have some rot ,there are a few thin spots on the bed sides , but I can almost bet everytime I go crusin with someone tells me what a great truck it is ..
Old 06-26-2015, 09:42 AM   #8
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

I'd say 4k isn't a bad deal. If he does offer you 3000 - 3500 I'd consider it though. If it had a hopped up 6 banger in it I'd buy it.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 01:25 PM   #9
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

IMO, for Michigan? your right in the ballpark with $4k. your truck is above average for its age and the fact it is a truck AND for where it lives.

I would also place the asking price a little higher too. It is easy to come down but impossible to go up when your negotiating.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 03:47 PM   #10
scottofksu

Don't forget the time you put into it too... If you're like me, your back/neck isn't getting any younger. I darn sure wouldn't sell if for less than the $3500 you have in it! I'd agree with others, start at $5k and see where the conversation goes. You might go to Searchtempest and see what's on Craigslist around you. Here in Omaha they want $3500 for trucks that were just pulled from a field...

Just my opinion! Good luck!
Old 06-26-2015, 08:29 PM   #11
awbrown

If I add up all the chiropractor visits then we are talking about 6-7 grand ... LOL
Old 06-27-2015, 03:05 AM   #12
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Oh boy, I'm 3 discs short of a full rack, so my trucks got be worth the $300k the insurance company put in!

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote