The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2015, 04:33 PM   #1
rudyyloverboiii

dropped n hooked up 292

Misfirring like it wants to start but it wont. Is this a distributor problem or do I need new spark plugs. Basically cleaned n put new head gasket. Carb is rebuilt
rudyyloverboiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:01 PM   #2
RANDY COX

Re: dropped n hooked up 292

sounds like a timing issue...
Old 06-26-2015, 06:09 PM   #3
rudyyloverboiii

That's what I kinda figured. Any advice?
Old 06-26-2015, 07:22 PM   #4
padresag

did you remove the distributor?
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:39 PM   #5
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Misfiring like it wants to start? Your 180 off my man. Move each plug wire forward once...if that doesn't work....move each plug wire backward once. And if that don't work...well....you got other issues we'll address later. But try this 1st.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:54 PM   #6
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy View Post
Misfiring like it wants to start? Your 180 off my man. Move each plug wire forward once...if that doesn't work....move each plug wire backward once. And if that don't work...well....you got other issues we'll address later. But try this 1st.
perhaps we should see whether or not he pulled the distr/
ron
Old 06-27-2015, 05:17 AM   #7
rudyyloverboiii

Yes it wants to start but wont. N yes I removed it after trying it a few times. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-27-2015, 08:50 AM   #8
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyyloverboiii View Post
Yes it wants to start but wont. N yes I removed it after trying it a few times. Thanks for the help!
Ok...there's your issue...you will have to reset the timing I think. It does sound like your 180 off due to my past experiences, but if you put the dizzy back in wrong you could be waay off. For me to do it myself and fix it is easy....to explain it to someone...I'll have to let someone who took speech class fill in. I'm terrible at explaining. lol
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:51 AM   #9
padresag

perhaps the valves were tightened down to much or crossed plug wires. telling us all that you done is also helpful; helps make it easier to diagnose. makes it a guessing game otherwise
ron
Old 06-27-2015, 02:41 PM   #10
rudyyloverboiii

Ok. So here it goes. I tightened the valves enough to have a little play but I wanted to make sure they weren't knocking. So I want to adjust them while the engine is on but wit the timing off I can't seem to do that. As far as setting them, when I removed the head I marked the harmonic balancer with a line for when the the first cylinder would b up so having it cranked that way I figured the distributor would b fine with the 1-5-3-6-2-4 wired
Old 06-27-2015, 09:12 PM   #11
Jeff La

Quote:
Ok. So here it goes. I tightened the valves enough to have a little play but I wanted to make sure they weren't knocking. So I want to adjust them while the engine is on but wit the timing off I can't seem to do that. As far as setting them, when I removed the head I marked the harmonic balancer with a line for when the the first cylinder would b up so having it cranked that way I figured the distributor would b fine with the 1-5-3-6-2-4 wired
You also have to make sure your on the compression stroke, which would be both intake and exhaust valves closed. You are probably 180 out.
Jeff La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:44 PM   #12
Mackie

IF you marked the dist rotor before taking things apart AND didn't move the crank while working on it AND the dizzy went back in where it was marked, you shouldn't have to worry about 180 out and it should run like it did before only needing minor timing adjustment. It did run before, right?
If you lost the basic dist install placement you'll have to start from the beginning and establish #1 TDC (on compression stroke), plug in the dist with the rotor pointing to #1 and set a static timing. That can be done with a simple 12V test light if you have points ignition.
Mackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 12:03 AM   #13
jtrichard

Quote:
IF i am reading this right you did NOT remove the dist. until after you put the head back on and tried to start it correct? ...IF that is what was done and NOW you have pulled and MOVED the Dist. you have at least two problems as it should have ran after you put the head back on (should have NEVER pulled the dist.) YOU need to start from scratch set # 1 to TDC FIRING ...set dist. check wires... set vales by the book
jtrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 05:50 PM   #14
rudyyloverboiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie View Post
IF you marked the dist rotor before taking things apart AND didn't move the crank while working on it AND the dizzy went back in where it was marked, you shouldn't have to worry about 180 out and it should run like it did before only needing minor timing adjustment. It did run before, right?
If you lost the basic dist install placement you'll have to start from the beginning and establish #1 TDC (on compression stroke), plug in the dist with the rotor pointing to #1 and set a static timing. That can be done with a simple 12V test light if you have points ignition.
Yes it did run before but redid the head gasket cus it was leaking oil. I removed the distributor before I dropped the engine back in. Darn it. Ok thanks for the help!
Old 06-28-2015, 06:34 PM   #15
padresag

seems like we are getting somewhere. information is hard to get sometimes. it makes it a lot easier to diagnose with what actually happened
ron
Old 06-28-2015, 07:17 PM   #16
rudyyloverboiii

Yes haha. So what I have to do is get the engine top dead center then drop the distributor in n make sure it is pointing to the number 1 cylinder correct?
Old 06-28-2015, 08:16 PM   #17
dougf

This is all I've ever done: take the number one spark plug off and hold a finger over the hole, have a buddy barely bump the engine over (remove hei wire so it won't start) and when you feel air blow your finger (compression stroke), put plug back in, point rotor to #1 cylinder in the cap, recheck firing order, start engine and time it.
dougf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:09 PM   #18
rudyyloverboiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougf View Post
This is all I've ever done: take the number one spark plug off and hold a finger over the hole, have a buddy barely bump the engine over (remove hei wire so it won't start) and when you feel air blow your finger (compression stroke), put plug back in, point rotor to #1 cylinder in the cap, recheck firing order, start engine and time it.
Sweet! Thanks doug. I shall try that see how it goes for me
Old 06-30-2015, 11:26 PM   #19
rudyyloverboiii

Quote:
Sweet! Thanks doug. I shall try that see how it goes for me
So I tried that method, put my finger on park plug #1 got compression. Pointed rotor to piston 1 then hooked up the spark plugs 1-5-3-6-2-4 n it sounds like it starts but then quickly dies
Old 07-01-2015, 12:12 AM   #20
padresag

you do not point the rotor to #1 cyl but to #1 plug wire terminal on the distr cap. you have to learn how to place the distr in the correct place to correspond with nbr 1 cyl on compression

if you do not have a manual which should tell you how to do it google chevy 250 I6 distributor installation
ron
Old 07-01-2015, 12:18 AM   #21
Mackie

If it runs pretty normal for that brief time and dies it could also be lack of fuel delivery. Can you see a healthy squirt of fuel in the carb when you work the throttle?

Your ignition timing may still be off a little. After you feel compression in #1 hole you should get the piston to TDC (top dead center) verified by the timing marks. A that point the rotor should be straight at the #1 dist cap terminal. Put a chalk mark on the dist body for #1 before you take off the cap so you know exactly where it is.

Your timing marks should look something like this 250.
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2015, 11:21 PM   #22
rudyyloverboiii

So I got the engine to run, i added a lil bit of oil n gas to the carb n it fired up for a bit. It's a little slow so advance it with the distributor?
Old 07-01-2015, 11:46 PM   #23
Mackie

Sounds like your closing in on it. You can turn the dist slightly each direction to start to tune it in. Timing can be set with a vacuum gauge or better yet a timing light to GM specs.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:55 PM   #24
rudyyloverboiii

I don't have any of that stuff haha. By ear?