The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2015, 02:09 PM   #1
iceref63

1987 shutting off when coming to a stop

I have a 1987 K1500 with 5.7 FI. Had problems the other day, truck knocked off 3 times in the same day. First time I came to a stop sign. Truck died when I stopped and would not start or turn over. No clicking, nothing not even the wipers or the radio. Headlights work as well as interior dome light. After about 3 minutes and once the starter would spin, it would start up with no issue. Had the same issue about an hour later except it took about 15 minutes before it would spin. Once is would spin the starter, would fire right back up. 3rd time was an hour later but took over 3 hours for it to spin and trn over.

Alternator is fne, puts out around 13.5 at iddle. Not the battery because, when it would spin, it would spin at nornmal speeds. Had it towed home and it starts up fine now. Really do not want this to happen again before getting the issue fixed.

Any ideas as to what to look for? Starter and battery are fine. Battery tests fine under load. Thanks.

Last edited by iceref63; 07-01-2015 at 02:21 PM.
iceref63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:49 PM   #2
wilkin250r

Re: 1987 shutting off when coming to a stop

From what you have told me, the problem is seems obviously electrical. It might be mechanical/electrical, like ignition switch or neutral safety switch, so we just need to find the specifics.

Let's go over the details so I know I'm reading this correctly. When your truck dies, half of your electrical system dies with it, but not ALL your electrical system? You still have headlights and dome lights, but you do NOT have radio or wiper?

My first thoughts are: What do these systems have in common? Lots of places can cause the radio to die (fuse, wiring, connections, radio itself and internal connections) and plenty of places to kill your spark and starter as well (coil, ignition switch, neutral safety switch, wiring and connections) but not TOO many places to kill both. So I'm thinking your ignition switch, connectors in the column, and connections behind the dash. I would start with undoing, cleaning, and checking all the connections for those that you can reach easily.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:36 PM   #3
iceref63

You are correct about the dead issue. Lights work as well as doom light. Might be next week before I get a chance to look at it. Tilt steering is a little loose so that might have something to do with it.

My dad used to live between Reno and Carson City. Super area to go offroading (he was more a Jeep guy though). Thanks for the input.
iceref63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:41 PM   #4
greg64

I'm agreeing that the ignition switch is a prime suspect here. The headlights and dome light don't pass through the ignition switch.
greg64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:53 PM   #5
Dead Parrot

If it happens again, try the accessory position on the ignition switch. If things like the radio start working again, points to the ignition switch or sector gear/rack between the key cylinder and the ignition switch.

Does "Tilt steering is a little loose" mean slop in the tilt itself? There are 4(iirc) screws at the base of the tilt interior that tend to work loose after a couple of decades. Slop in the tilt can contribute to breaking the last couple of teeth on the sector gear which makes it hard or impossible to start the truck.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote