The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-05-2015, 09:32 PM   #1
vancelot69

Steering wheel fitment

After reading this thread, it looks like I can't do what I want to do.

I really like the feel of the steering wheel in my 2000 (S-15) Jimmy, and I wanted one just like it in my 1970 Jimmy. So I got one from the junkyard today, but it wouldn't fit. I thought I had read that it would fit, but I guess I misremembered. It seems like it would fit, the shaft is the same size, it's just that the steering wheel has a couple of keyed splines and it looks like the steering column has even splines all the way around.

I don't need the airbag, I just want the wheel. Is there any way to make it fit? Is it possible to maybe file / grind the keyed spline on the wheel down? Or will the whole steering column from the newer S-15 fit in the old Jimmy? Or any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!
2003 HD Road King
vancelot69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:13 AM   #2
Jurassic-1

Re: Steering wheel fitment

You could file the shaft splines but I would try to file the flats out of the steering wheel that way you don't mess up the column. You could make the hole round and try a small coping saw to put grooves in. Worse case file the flats a hare larger to clear the splines on the steering shaft.
Jurassic-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:14 PM   #3
vancelot69

Re: Steering wheel fitment

I was able to file grooves into the flat spots on the steering wheel and make it fit! WOOHOO!

Now, since I don't really need the air bag, is it possible to fit a horn on there? Right now, it's just the steering wheel skeleton. But at least it's bigger and feels better than what I have on it now! (Sorry for the glare, I didn't think to take a picture of it until after dark)
Attached Images

2003 HD Road King
vancelot69 is offline   Reply With Quote