The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2015, 07:18 AM   #1
chrismoore701

Insurance

I called my State Farm insurance yesterday and they do not seem to have a clue about how to cover my 1979 truck. How do you guys like? I am talking to Hagerty and may go with them.
2018 Chevy Silverado, 39 years apart
My build 2008-2016. http://m.imgur.com/a/bURrE
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:55 AM   #2
bnoon

Re: Insurance

Hagerty wouldn't cover my truck because I still use it as a truck. They wanted pictures of the bed/etc to prove that it wasn't used to haul. WTF? It's not like I was asking for a ton of coverage on some super restored model to sit on a shelf somewhere. I just want evaluated and agreed upon coverage for my classic truck! For now I have it covered under Travelers as a pleasure vehicle, covered for 6,000, but it's several times as expensive as the classic car insurance companies would have done it. Lame.
bnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:29 AM   #3
JWall
Frequent Flyer

I use Grundys - http://www.grundy.com/WorldWide.aspx
JWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:46 AM   #4
tucsonjwt

Are you looking for classic truck high value insurance? If so, you won't likely get coverage at a standard insurance company. If you use your truck as a normal vehicle it will require normal insurance. Low cost classic insurance policies are only for hobby use - not driven to supermarkets, work, etc.

Unless you have a very valuable restored truck (like $20K-$30K value) you are better off just getting basic regular insurance. The downside is that you will get no more than market value if it is damaged in an accident. This means you will get what the average market value of your truck is in the retail market - no regard for any modifications or pristine condition of the vehicle.

My strategy is to restore my old truck so that it is reliable mechanically but just average in appearance. This allows low cost normal insurance and I don't worry about it getting damaged in an accident - I will just buy another old truck and start over. Good restorable old squares are all over the southwest US for less than the cost of sales tax on a new truck.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:48 AM   #5
chrismoore701

Grundy is the other company. I will call them. I am doing a 7 year total frame off restoration and will have about $13,000 in the truck. I know its not worth that much but I want better than state farm can offer. I got in a small accident with my dads 63 corvette and state farm wanted me to take it to the local body shop and put daily driver parts on it. that was BS do not want to take that chance
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2015, 10:13 AM   #6
chrly1492

As others have indicated, you didn't mention how much you are driving your truck..But I have State Farm, and I call my truck my toy, it is driven less than 5K a year. What they wanted from me was an estimate of what I thought it was worth, and if they didn't agree I would have to get it appraised. I gave them a number, and had to drive by with it so they could take a few pictures and that was it. So now the policy states right on it what the value of the truck is, and I'm suppose to just drive in parades, car shows, etc. As of this writing, they haven't ask me for annual mileage, but it may come to that.
chrly1492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:41 AM   #7
CMCustoms

I have Chrome, American national's collector car division. They have agreed value and dont mind you using your truck as a truck occasionally.
CMCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:50 AM   #8
TKCR

Mine is covered under my regular car insurance, with Progressive. Hagerty would not cover because both drivers in our house must have their own car registered & insured to that driver. We have 1 vehicle plus the truck. But with the 1 vehicle, we both work at the same place and we go everywhere together. But they are afraid the truck will get used for daily use if something were to happen to the 1 vehicle. We have the ability to acquire a company rental, if something were to happen to the one vehicle. But they wouldn't budge.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:56 AM   #9
JWall
Frequent Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMCustoms View Post
I have Chrome, American national's collector car division. They have agreed value and dont mind you using your truck as a truck occasionally.
Glad you mentioned them.
I forgot to mention I have Chrome on my red 98 with an agreed value because Grundys did not want to cover a truck that "new".
It's not as cheap as Grundys or have some of the perks Grundys has but it was a good option to have better coverage (with an agreed value) on that truck.
JWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:06 AM   #10
Ermot

I use American National for my home and regular auto and intend on using their Chrome offering when my truck is nice enough to warrant it.

bnoon, I am just south of you in Indianola. My agent with them is great. I can give you his contact info if you are interested in looking into their Chrome.
Ermot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:40 AM   #11
Jeepwm69

I tried to get collector insurance on my Jeeps. They aren't driven much and collector insurance full coverage is cheaper than liability only regular insurnace. The problem arose when they required that the vehicles be in an enclosed garage. My carport did not meet their standards so I'm still coughing up $$$ for liability insurance.

Of course, if I wreck a vehicle that old, it would almost 100% be totalled, and I'd buy it back from the insurance company and fix it myself.
Jeepwm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:57 PM   #12
chrismoore701

I only plan to drive to shows and small weekend outings. I called Grundy and they want $212 for a $13,000 policy. As I mentioned my dads corvette is insured through state farm. I know I will get it covered through them, but when I need them to pay up it is like pulling teeth. I do not want to go through that again
Old 07-07-2015, 01:48 PM   #13
Liberty

Mine has regular full coverage through Allstate.
Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 04:57 PM   #14
Tilt

J.C. Taylor is another one.
http://www.jctaylor.com/
LQ9/4L80 swap (SOLD)
Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:47 PM   #15
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

if you use your truck other than to go to and from classic car shows and events and occasional trips to repair shops you wont qualify for classic truck insurance, I had issues with Hagerty because they started whining that my garage was not at my property and they said if I left my truck overnight at my house instead of garaging it they wouldn't cover it they also had a lot to say about some of my trucks ( they whined about the fire truck) I now have American and they were great the first year now they too are getting whiny... They seem to tell you they accept almost any classic car then they want a showrrom condition car with a fancy garage etc

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:32 PM   #16
UKNOWME

State Farm told me to give them receipts and photos to scan in to my portfolio and I would have no issues with the value in the event I had a large claim. I'm going to look into the other companies you all suggested though.
1964 Chevy c10
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU
UKNOWME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:14 AM   #17
Chaplain

My 79 is insured with State Farm in the classic category and has been for several years.
Chaplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:28 AM   #18
chrismoore701

My biggest concern with state farm goes back to the BS I had to deal with on dads corvette. They were only going to put daily driver equipment back on. And the fact that I just called them to up my coverage. I have about $10,000 in right now and they will only cover it for the going rate for a 79. I asked what that rate is because KBB only goes back 20 years, and they couldn't answer the question. I am fine using them for my daily driver cars but not my 79
Old 07-08-2015, 08:27 AM   #19
Rich84

I have American Collectors Insurance. $212 a year for a $11000 value.

Cannot use it to drive to work and must have another vehicle in the house for every driver. They also want a picture of the garage and the vehicle. I don't recall any mileage restriction.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote