The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2015, 01:51 PM   #1
cooperhw

Swap body or axles?

Hi guys,
I am usually over in the 67-72 forum but I have a few swap questions I want to direct towards you Square Body Gurus.
I have an 81 3/4 ton 4X4 that the body is ok on. Everything else great. I just bought an 85 3/4 ton 2 wheel drive that the body is fantastic on. Glass, interior, doors, everything. The reason I bought it was it was so straight and the exact same yellow with white roof as my 81.
My 81 has always just been my ranch truck I leave at my cabin for when it snows and such. I am thinking how would be the best avenue to put these two together?
Will the 4X4 axles bolt underneath the 2 wd chassis? from what I am reading it sounds like swapping the cab, bed, and nose would probably be my best route?
Another question; I acquired a straight 4X4 1/2 ton short bed chassis about a year ago. Would my 3/4 ton long bed axles bolt onto the 1/2 ton short bed frame? I was originally planning to make a short bed 3/4 ton 4X4 out of my parts, but kinda leaning towards leaving it long bed.
What are your thoughts on easiest, best, etc.
I have a project "Meet Homer" in the 67-72 projects and builds forum. You can tell by reading it that I am no stranger to putting in the time or doing the work, but really don't know what will swap on these with the least amount of hassle.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:27 PM   #2
Speeding Dakota

Re: Swap body or axles?

Wayne, I'll try to answer your questions the best I can from all my personal experience with 2WD & 4WD.

- Will the 4X4 axles bolt underneath the 2wd chassis?
the rear axles are interchangeable with no issue, but the front will be the issue. You would have to remove the entire 2WD cradle and weld in the supports to attach leaf spring to a 2WD frame.

- swapping the cab, bed, and nose would probably be my best route?
the cabs center humps are different. the 4WD has a higher hump to clear the transfer case.

- Would my 3/4 ton long bed axles bolt onto the 1/2 ton short bed frame?
yes the 3/4 axles would bolt right to the 1/2 ton frame, as that is what most hard core 4-wheelers do after destroying the 1/2 ton axles a couple of times.

- What are your thoughts on easiest, best, etc.
3/4 ton axles will always hold up better no matter what

hope this help and good luck
Speeding Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 02:27 AM   #3
andrewmp6

I would swap bodies or throw my 3/4 axles in the 1/2 ton truck.And most off roaders go 1 ton axles because its a dana 60 and a 14 bolt or bigger in the rear.The 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton use the same front axle but for the lug pattern but the rear axles are a lot different.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:51 AM   #4
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeding Dakota View Post
Wayne, I'll try to answer your questions the best I can from all my personal experience with 2WD & 4WD.

- Will the 4X4 axles bolt underneath the 2wd chassis?
the rear axles are interchangeable with no issue, but the front will be the issue. You would have to remove the entire 2WD cradle and weld in the supports to attach leaf spring to a 2WD frame.

- swapping the cab, bed, and nose would probably be my best route?
the cabs center humps are different. the 4WD has a higher hump to clear the transfer case.

- Would my 3/4 ton long bed axles bolt onto the 1/2 ton short bed frame?
yes the 3/4 axles would bolt right to the 1/2 ton frame, as that is what most hard core 4-wheelers do after destroying the 1/2 ton axles a couple of times.

- What are your thoughts on easiest, best, etc.
3/4 ton axles will always hold up better no matter what

hope this help and good luck
Thanks a lot. Yes this is exactly what I thought but was not sure of. I knew that some of you had "been there, done that" and didn't want to re-invent the wheel here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
I would swap bodies or throw my 3/4 axles in the 1/2 ton truck.And most off roaders go 1 ton axles because its a dana 60 and a 14 bolt or bigger in the rear.The 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton use the same front axle but for the lug pattern but the rear axles are a lot different.
Thanks. I appreciate you taking the time to weigh in. I probably will just swap the bodies when I get to it. Just trying to get a game plan.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:56 AM   #5
andrewmp6

Swapping the whole front suspension can be a pain but so can swapping cabs,Either way just depends how much work you want to do.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote