The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2015, 06:37 PM   #1
XelderX

New member with '86 Suburban

Hey everyone. I've owned this Suburban for about 10 years now. It's a 350, 4X4 with 90,000 original miles. It mostly gets used to pull my car trailer. It only had 8,000 miles on it when we bought it. Still had the original belts on the motor. I was told it was a special order as its a Scottsdale 4X4 with A/C, but the base trim level interior. Not sure if that's right. We replaced the stock rims with 15X8 rally rims, added some air shocks on the rear, and just recently tinted the windows. Other than that she is still stock.

I'm debating fixing the A/C, but the local shop quoted me $800 to do it. I'm assuming it's going to need a new compressor. The system hasn't been used in the whole 10 years I've owned it. I'm also considering getting some aftermarket headers to free up some more power, but I'm not sure it will do what I want it to without messing with the stock carburetor too. If that's the case I'll just wait till I can do the TBI conversion.

Does anyone know if there are any more modern stock seats that are a direct bolt in or require minor modifications? I can handle some minor fabrication and would really like something more comfortable than the stock bench for the long tows we make.
XelderX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:59 PM   #2
Nodnarb76

Re: New member with '86 Suburban

Nice truck, only other one I've seen in these colors besides mine.
Looks good, welcome to the forums.

1987 R20 Suburban LQ4/4L80e swap: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=693824
Nodnarb76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:44 PM   #3
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Good looking truck, and welcome! AC is not voodoo, if you can fabricate, you can fix it. No point in paying anyone $800 unless you'd just rather not mess with it. But there are refrigerants that don't require pulling a vacuum on the system, or you can always get it charged at a shop after you replace the compressor. I'm not an AC guy either, I just watched some youtube videos to figure out how to fix the AC on my wife's truck, an 03 Yukon. Your exhaust looks stock, and from what I've read, the cat and factory y-pipe are the most restrictive stock pieces. I'd upgrade those before I spent the coin on headers. For seats, lots of guys here have taken seats from 99-'06 Tahoes and Burbs and made them work. Again, good looking truck. Do you have any interior pics?

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:39 AM   #4
XelderX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUISER View Post
Good looking truck, and welcome! AC is not voodoo, if you can fabricate, you can fix it. No point in paying anyone $800 unless you'd just rather not mess with it. But there are refrigerants that don't require pulling a vacuum on the system, or you can always get it charged at a shop after you replace the compressor. I'm not an AC guy either, I just watched some youtube videos to figure out how to fix the AC on my wife's truck, an 03 Yukon. Your exhaust looks stock, and from what I've read, the cat and factory y-pipe are the most restrictive stock pieces. I'd upgrade those before I spent the coin on headers. For seats, lots of guys here have taken seats from 99-'06 Tahoes and Burbs and made them work. Again, good looking truck. Do you have any interior pics?
We've gutted the cat, but the rest of the exhaust is stock. I'll look into replacing the Y-pipe as well. Thanks for the info on the seats. I'll get some pics of the interior soon. Other than a small crack in the dash and a few scratches on the rear fender wells its pretty mint. I'm getting ready to redo the stereo...it still has the stock head unit, but it cuts in and out. I'm debating cutting the dash for a new single din headunit or just mounting it in the glovebox and not messing up the dash. I'll probably order the kick panel speaker pods for the front to make the front speakers easier to do.
XelderX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:58 AM   #5
62 bigwindow

Nice to see a fellow member close to home with a nice suburban
Curious if you got the AC repaired?
I have a 78 suburban with big block and replaced ac compressor, dryer and orifice tube myself less the $300 then had a local shop evac and charge the system... nice and cold
62 bigwindow is offline   Reply With Quote