The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2015, 11:58 PM   #1
wtb853

eaton HO52 brakes

I am finishing up a brake job on my Eaton rear axle and have a couple of questions.

First, what is the purpose of the "collar" that fits inside the drum and is held in place by the lug studs? I moved them over to the new drums, but can't figure out exactly what their purpose is.

Second, should anything (gear oil, grease, etc) be applied to the lip of the inner hub seals to prevent premature wear? Should that seal be installed dry on the machined portion of the axle tube?

Finally, the new drums did not come with a star adjuster hole like the old ones had. If memory serves correct, the couple drum brake jobs I've done in the past all had that access hole to dial in the shoes after the new drum was installed. I really don't want to wrestle that hub/drum combo on and off while fiddling with the star adjuster chasing a tight fit. Also, leaky inner hub seals caused this brake job so I can't see how taking the hub on and off will benefit those seals. What is the practical way to put those hub/drums on ONCE and ensure a good fit (shoe to drum).

Thanks in advance for any answers or ideas.
wtb853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:27 AM   #2
SaltyC20

Re: eaton HO52 brakes

I bookmarked this page regarding HO52 brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200268

I think the collar is just a dust shield, try and keep brake dust off the seal.

I put gear oil on mine. I generally wet my seals with whatever liquid its holding back.

I remember reading on this site where someone had drums without hole, but they cut a hole in the backing plate instead. Other just drill the knockout (if they have one) in the new drums
Old 07-09-2015, 01:05 AM   #3
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Re: eaton HO52 brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyC20 View Post
I put gear oil on mine. I generally wet my seals with whatever liquid its holding back.
Yup

Quote:
I remember reading on this site where someone had drums without hole, but they cut a hole in the backing plate instead. Other just drill the knockout (if they have one) in the new drums
Yup again. Mine had no holes or knockouts. The backing plates now have holes to access the adjusters, with rubber plugs to keep out unwanted stuff like dirt, rocks, & water.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote