The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2003, 01:21 PM   #1
Truckstr

Exclamation Check those battery cables!!!

I'm on my way to a Doctor's appointment yesterday. Everything seems normal, but when I pull to a stop at a red light I see smoke rolling out from under the edge of the hood! Yikes!

I quickly scan the gauges and all seems normal, so I leap out and lift the hood. Both battery cables are melted BAD and the positive cable is on fire! Double yikes!

I yank at the cable trying to stop the electrical fire and promptly burn the crap out of my fingers. I go back around to the cab and grab the fire extinguisher that I carry for just such an occasion. A quick burst and the fire's out. Whew!

As soon as I'm satisfied that it's not going to burn anymore I push it into a nearby parking lot - an Eckerd's pharmacy. How convenient. Thankfully, there is also an Auto Zone about two doors down.

The problem? It seems that an adel clamp came loose and allowed the positive battery cable to wedge itself between the frame rail and the lower radiator hose. It rubbed the covering through and... presto, short circuit city.

Of course, I didn't have any tools with me, so I ended up buying a neat liitle package of end-wrenches with sockets on the other end and a pair of pliers (and of course a couple of new battery cables and a roll of electrical tape). 45 minutes and a little sweat later and it's fixed and I'm on my way. {Never did make it to that Doctor's office, oh well}.

Bottom line: number one check those battery cables! There could be something amiss. Also carry a small set of tools - it won't hurt. And a fire extinguisher wouldn't hurt either.

'67 short Fleet; my ongoing project.
'66 long Fleet; my original "baby."

Live life or bust trying.
Truckstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 03:19 PM   #2
1969 GMC

that sux! it's good that you got it all sorted out quickly.
another tip: if you have your truck just sitting around outside for long periods of time, be sure to check your engine compartment once in a while. I parked my GMC, opened the hood to check oil etc then left it sit (the brakes went out). then i went to start on the brakejob, opened the hood a month later to discover my battery had fallen off the box, and acid had spilled out, melted a hole in a rad hose (luckily had a spare), and melted the paint off an area about 7" in diameted on the inner fender, also turned the rust on my front right spring pack into salt. i dont know how this happened. it didnt move. now i have a hillbilly bungie cord oplus the original, i plan on getting a tie down of some sort.
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 08:23 PM   #3
Truckstr

Yeah, it did kind of suck. But it could have been a whole lot worse. I can just see me there at that intersection trying to put out a fire without that fire extinguisher.

For those unfamiliar, an electrical fire (class Bravo) is what it was - until electricity was secured. After that, it was a "simple" class Alpha fire.

Always secure power to an electrical fire before trying to otherwise fight it. If you don't, then the heat source is still trying to keep the fire going - besides the fact that you could be electrocuted. That's not so likely in a vehicle fire, but it could.

Ya'll be careful out there!

'67 short Fleet; my ongoing project.
'66 long Fleet; my original "baby."

Live life or bust trying.
Truckstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 08:51 PM   #4
69GMC396

I know this is a truck forum but I had a fire start on my skidder the other day pretty much from the same thing. The power wire to the silenoid rub a hole throught the insulation and I hit a stump pretty hard and busted the cable in half. it started smoking and me and another crew member figured it was the exhaust. It kept smoking and another guy came over and said you need to look what is smoking. I did and there was a fire going in the engine compartment. I got it out after some running around. It got hot enough to start the 30W we run for hydraulic oil on fire. I think my boss probably woulda been a little ticked if I had burned up a $30,000 skidder.

1998 Dodge 2500 V-10 5 speed 4x4
2001 KTM 400 MXC
69GMC396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 10:31 PM   #5
tyger25

It's a real good thing you noticed it early. Even better you had an extinguisher, and knew to disconnect the cable. Glad to hear everything kinda worked out for ya.
tyger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 10:46 PM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I always carry a fire extinguisher in my rig for jus such ocasions.
However, I don't look at my cables too often. (knock on wood grain)
Heck, almost a year ago i was at Fine69's place and he pointed out that my positive battery cable end (where it bolts to the starter) is turned in such a way that there is about 1/8 of an inch or so between the cable end and my header.
Maybe I oughta fix that tomorow.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote