The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-16-2015, 09:53 PM   #1
Zach079xxx

Pulling SBC 350

Hey guys, just bought a 350 that came out of a 71 C10 that's built and bored .030 over. A guy is building it to what I want for 50 an hour, work will take 3-4 hours he said. Changing cam and intake and just piddle stuff. Problem is he won't pull my engine and install the built one. What all is there to it? I've never done anything like this. I have some help but really don't know te depth into it. I have a garage and a tractor for pulling the engine. What can you guys suggest? I'll post a thread once I get into it!
Zach079xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:39 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Pulling SBC 350

Nothing but wires and bolts...if you've never done anything like this I would suggest you find someone whose done it before to help or advise you,talk to your local parts store,, they can steer you to some decent shadetree mechanics ..it would be worth throwing some $$$ their way if for nothing else for the advising.. get your self a chilton or comparable book,, its full of useful stuff...if you try it yourself be sure to mark everything and all your wires and the location it goes..take lots of pictures of everything you unhook,, that will payoff hugely..outside of wiring you've got your hoses,, motor mount bolts,, transmission bellhousing bolts and torque convertor bolts,, linkages and such..its not to bad of a job if you've got decent tools to work with but can be overwhelming if you've never done it..if all else fails youtube!! If your hood lines up good now be sure to drill some locator holes in the hinges before you pull the hood,, that makes life easier when putting it back on..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:05 AM   #3
Zach079xxx

Kinda dreading it, might get a local shop to install. It all depends on the cash... We shall see! Who knows I might be doing it, thanks for the info!
Old 07-17-2015, 12:20 AM   #4
mattcrp1

Its all nuts and bolts...LOL. Just take it one at a time, like it was said before take pictures and get the book. Its one of the easiest engines to do. There are plenty of people here that can help if you get in a bind.
Upper Control Arm Bushings: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=616974
IG mattcrp1
mattcrp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:24 AM   #5
Zach079xxx

Hahahaha thanks for the support
Old 07-17-2015, 11:52 AM   #6
Dannyboy1966

Hey Zack too bad you don't live by me I'd have ya come to my place to do it, I have an engine hoist and all, I'd talk you through it for nothing. That said it's an easy swap really it is. Just take your time, and use lots of tape you can mark on it where each wire and hose was connected, un-bolt and pull motor and transmission together, It's far easier to mate them together out in the open, then stab it back in, bolt it back down, and hook everything back up. Somebody earlier said to take detailed pictures, this a very good idea. Wish i had the ability to do it the first time i ever changed an engine out, but that was back in the early 80's ( No digital cameras). I could practically do it with my eyes closed now.
Dannyboy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 03:43 PM   #7
Zach079xxx

I don't know if I got the guts to do it lol I'll post an update
Old 07-17-2015, 04:57 PM   #8
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Don't sweat it man..its not that bad..ask around,, check some local car clubs,, around here they have cruise ins at the fast food joints all the time ,, shouldn't be hard to find you an advisor/teacher..like Dannyboy says I could do it with my eyes shut now..I can pull and replace one in half a day ,, no problem..gives you a sense of pride and then you can stand back and say,,,,,,yeah, I did that...
Old 07-17-2015, 06:14 PM   #9
tucsonjwt

Just my $.02, but I would ask around and check CL to see if somebody has an engine hoist and a place to store your truck while the engine is being rebuilt. I would take pics of everything before the engine comes out so you know where all of the vacuum hoses, electrical lines, etc. go when the engine goes back in. You might find someone to bring a hoist to your garage and pull the engine - take the engine to your mechanic - return the engine and reinstall it.

This would not be a time to experiment with a project. It would be a time to watch someone else do the job and you can do it next time.

You can easily run into stuck bolts, especially on the exhaust, which will require another skill set - best to have experienced hands ready for this.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 04:46 PM   #10
Zach079xxx

I have found my solution. Last night I ordered my parts and once they show up I'm going to take them to my buddy for him to build it. 4 hours tops then taking the built engine to a man I had rebuild my tranny last month and he is pulling my old one and dropping in my new one. He said I can come by his shop and give a hand and watch. Very pleased, 500 dollars and he is doing the work and installing all new hoses. And it'll be a learning experience! I go to carshows with this guy also, he is a very skilled man. He builds transmissions all by himself and his shop has no lifts! He uses jacks and scoots around on creepers! Thanks for the info guys but this is probably the best thing, I can see how it done and get my hands dirty and know it's done right!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
Just my $.02, but I would ask around and check CL to see if somebody has an engine hoist and a place to store your truck while the engine is being rebuilt. I would take pics of everything before the engine comes out so you know where all of the vacuum hoses, electrical lines, etc. go when the engine goes back in. You might find someone to bring a hoist to your garage and pull the engine - take the engine to your mechanic - return the engine and reinstall it.

This would not be a time to experiment with a project. It would be a time to watch someone else do the job and you can do it next time.

You can easily run into stuck bolts, especially on the exhaust, which will require another skill set - best to have experienced hands ready for this.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:54 PM   #11
mattcrp1

Good for you, that sounds reasonable. Make sure you take pics along the way.
Upper Control Arm Bushings: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=616974
IG mattcrp1
mattcrp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 04:58 PM   #12
tucsonjwt

Good choice. Take some pics before and after. Even a pro can get things crossed up or left out, plus you will have a nice illustrated manual for the next time.

You are lucky that he will let you watch the process - most techs don't like someone "breathing down their neck." These are mostly the ones who are not confident about their skill level.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:33 PM   #13
Zach079xxx

Thanks guys I'm really excited. Definetly gonna be snapping pictures along the way. It's been a lot of saving to get this far. The reason I think he's letting me stop in is becaus he knows my family was in the car business and we really get along and we do business as well. He'll probably like some help also being that he's a lone wolf, hahaha. Can't wait guys, can't wait!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
Good choice. Take some pics before and after. Even a pro can get things crossed up or left out, plus you will have a nice illustrated manual for the next time.

You are lucky that he will let you watch the process - most techs don't like someone "breathing down their neck." These are mostly the ones who are not confident about their skill level.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:18 PM   #14
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Smart move...just don't drop the starter on his foot...ha ha
Old 07-19-2015, 06:04 AM   #15
Dannyboy1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach079xxx View Post
Thanks guys I'm really excited. Definetly gonna be snapping pictures along the way. It's been a lot of saving to get this far. The reason I think he's letting me stop in is becaus he knows my family was in the car business and we really get along and we do business as well. He'll probably like some help also being that he's a lone wolf, hahaha. Can't wait guys, can't wait!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Zack you made a good choice, Like Tucson said take pictures for incase of a next time. Sounds like a good price to me.

Mongo, you sound like your speaking from experience...LMAO
Dannyboy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:17 AM   #16
Zach079xxx

Hopefully I don't drop anything & if I do it's on my foot! :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy1966 View Post
Zack you made a good choice, Like Tucson said take pictures for incase of a next time. Sounds like a good price to me.

Mongo, you sound like your speaking from experience...LMAO
I thought the price was good too. I didn't check the auto shop I deal with usually because I know they'll be far more than $500

Last edited by Zach079xxx; 07-19-2015 at 08:26 AM.