The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2015, 09:40 PM   #1
JimmyCriswell

68 longbed with 350 and 5 speed need powersteering

First of all thank you for everyone who has helped me up until this point. My truck is now running really well. All lights work so just some minor wiring to be worked out. Now that I am driving the truck some....I have to have power steering. I am looking for guidance on part fitment for someone who has done the same as me. I have looked to the complete kits. Nice...just not something I can afford. My frame is dimpled to receive a new gearbox. What seems to be the least expensive way? The want 130 bucks for a 68 gearbox from OReilleys. Maybe that is not too much, I don't know. I keep all receipts so I know what to get in the future.

I should mention PO put a crate 350 in it but I do have accessory holes in the heads. What all options do I have for buying another year gearbox that will fit that I can get from a junkyard. I wish a board member was selling everything they had to get another project but I cannot post there yet since I am knew. Tell me what kind of trucks to look for in the junkyard and I will start calling them. Also, what year specific parts do I need to purchase? I have read through a ton of the postings using the search function, but they are all over the place.

Jimmy Criswell
JimmyCriswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:51 PM   #2
67 chevelle

Re: 68 longbed with 350 and 5 speed need powersteering

I have a 78 chevy truck steering box in mine it was a big improvement over the ram assist it came with ,, nite and day
69 Long Fleet , Custom , 6.0, 4l60 , AC , Medium Olive
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:04 PM   #3
JimmyCriswell

67 Chevelle,

You did not change over to power steering. You just used a newer manual box and the steering was easier? I am really behind on what the ram assist means. I can drive my truck as is but would never want to park it. I would like to be able to turn with one hand without dropping 700 bucks.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:12 AM   #4
SS Tim

Posting a "Want to Buy" ad is simply a matter of being a paying subscriber.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

Pretty sure 67 Chevelle is saying he changed from a factory ram assist to an intergral assist steering box. There is zero reason to add a ram system to a truck when an intergral can be backfitted.

The early 67-68 trucks used an external hydraulic ram to move the centerlink in addition to the manual steering box. Later trucks went to the intergral system where the hydraulic system is inside the steering box itself. Adding an intergral assist steering box to your truck is simple enough including a later square body box with variable assist IIRC. Not sure of all the specifics so I'd suggest you work the search features some more.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=567609

http://www.google.com/custom?domains...D%3A1%3B&hl=en
Attached Images

SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:21 AM   #5
WIDESIDE72

Some of the early trucks (67 for sure, possibly 68) used the same manual box as yours. They had a ps pump but used a hydraulic slave cylinder mounted to the steering linkage to give assist. I have heard mixed reviews on this setup, but most i have seen were leaking a lot of fluid. Definitely not the way to go in your case.

You can pay to join and post a want to buy ad for parts you need on the parts board. There are several guys who part trucks regularly. If you see someone parting, contact then even if the specific parts arent listed. As for which year model trucks to consider for a donor, for the box, all the way up to 87 will bolt on, 1/2, 3/4 even 1 ton (1 ton up to 91 before it changed body styles.) the fitting went metric in the mid eighties, but not a problem as long as you swap pump and box, or you can swap the fitting in the back of the pump as the pump thread stayed the same. also, if you dont already have one the front sway bar from the same truck will bolt on as well. If you dont have means to get the riveted on frame brackets, theyre available aftermarket from CPP. Huge improvement to handling...

Back to the PS... As for the pump, i assume you have a sbc engine. The main factor is determining whether you have an original style short water pump (swp) or long (lwp). All 67-72 sbc trucks originally were swp. If someone did an engine swap, you may have lwp. Easy way to tell (if you dont know swp from lwp by sight) is swp setup has alternator on driver side, with brackets bolted to head only. Lwp will have alt on pass side with upper bracker bolted to intake and water pump. For the sake of pulley alignment, you have to stick with whichever water pump setup you already have. (Lwp uses different pulleys as well) if you try to mix and match swp pulleys/ brackets with lwp or vice versa, you will pull your hair out.

A few years back i bought the truck in my profile pic with no engine or trans. I bought all swp brackets and pulleys to use ps and ac. I think i only gave around $100 or so on the parts board for everything.

Last edited by WIDESIDE72; 07-20-2015 at 04:27 AM.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:22 AM   #6
WIDESIDE72

Looks like someone else couldnt sleep as well!
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:41 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Go to the junk yard and buy the complete change-over or post a WTB on Craigslist

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:53 AM   #8
JimmyCriswell

Very good ideas. How much does it cost to be a paying subscriber?

I do believe it would be a wise idea.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:50 AM   #9
67 chevelle

The ram assist that was on my truck from the factory was like the ones used on corvettes , it had 12 fittings ,, they all leaked , I changed to a 78 power box , its a closer ratio , less turns lock to lock , and it gets firm in the middle or strait forward position , making for a great "feel" for the road ..

Be thankful you don't have the ram assist , I had to change , or acquire , the new box , pitman arm, center link [this was tough to find , not reproduced ] ,hoses ,, I used the old power pump on the engine ,,untill I got a new one with the ls swap . I changed rag joint , and did a standard moog rebuild at the time , drives like a caddy
69 Long Fleet , Custom , 6.0, 4l60 , AC , Medium Olive
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:17 PM   #10
SS Tim

Click on the link I put up in post #4. A Premium level is $25 a year.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:44 PM   #11
JimmyCriswell

I am taking all of these things into consideration for when I am ready to drop the money. Thank you all for your help.