The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-21-2015, 12:45 PM   #1
Chevy_mud_truck

Gooseneck hitch question

My bed has a hole cut in it for a hitch but it looks to far forward it's 52" from the back edge of floor to the center of the hole I will be installing a hitch when the time comes only one I have found is a B&W turn over but the instructions online place the hole right center of a cross brace looking for someone who might have a B&W installed in the truck where the center of hole is that way I know if need to weld up the hole that already there before paint then cut a new when I get a hitch some measurements and mabey a few pics would be great
Chevy_mud_truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:12 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Gooseneck hitch question

Back in the day most gooseneck hitches were "homeade".. could possibly be that's just where they cut the hole..a gooseneck hitch needs to be forward of the rear axle...I have a bw in mine and its 4" in front of the rear axle. Mine was the build your own hitch from bw..they told me 4-6" in front of axle would be fine..I would put it where they say to put it but make sure it will clear the rear differential when its flipped upside down.
mongocanfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:08 PM   #3
Chevy_mud_truck

I didn't see a build your own kit I lined up the hole on trailer while the bed was setting on another trailer just to try to get a ideal. Man it looks close on the corner of the bed to the bracing of the tongue of the trailer but just kind eyeballing it looks to be about 4 to 5 inches forward of center of the innerwheel tubs but there's a brace under the bottom so it's not going to go dead center
Old 07-21-2015, 07:57 PM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

The kit I bought was gnrk1500 and I went back and looked to be sure and it says 2-6" ahead of axle and less than 72" from the center of the ball to the corner of the bed..and all trailers aren't made the same,, I've seen some with small hitch braces all the way to huge braces,, depends on who makes it and what its rated for..
Old 07-21-2015, 08:26 PM   #5
Chevy_mud_truck

14.000lb Kaufman tilt deck trailer and the braces was fairy big and this is it hitch I was looking at
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2015, 12:25 AM   #6
IHOutlaw

I installed the B&W GNRK1400 in my '84 Chevy K30. You can tell where the old plate gooseneck sat. I went by the B&W instructions and followed their measurements and it placed the ball in front of the rear axle a few inches and that where I prefer them.
IHOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:33 AM   #7
Chevy_mud_truck

Thanks for the info I read the install instructions again it said to cut a 4" hole at 49 1/2 from the back of the bed and from my measurements put it about 1/4 inch from cross brace in the bed floor I think it will be best to just plug the hole and start over do you have any other pics I might build my own I don't know yet
Old 07-22-2015, 01:52 PM   #8
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I didn't take any pics when I built mine but I used 1/2" flat bar of varing widths on mine for everything..most of the ones I saw looked like they were made of 1/4"