The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2015, 02:03 AM   #1
king-918

Have a few questions id like to ask, turbo 5.3l project

I have an 86 C-10 and i pulled the drive-train from a 2003 suburban Z vin. i have the gas pedal/tach. im going to be using a digital Dakota dash and bim-01-2. question
1. What is a good turbo head gasket?
2. What which head studs should i get? i know arp but which ones?
3. Is it possible to buy a resealing kit?
4. Can you dual tune the ecm for gas and e-85? if the fuel pump on/off or does the ecm have a high/low setting?
5. How hard is it to swap in a 480le later?
6. What fuse/relay panel do you use in place of the original?
any answers to question I have not thought about are welcomed too!

Oh yeah I'm really a Toyota guy, but had some stuff sitting around.

Oklahoma
king-918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:26 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Have a few questions id like to ask, turbo 5.3l project

The GM MLS gaskets are pretty popular for most applications. Unless your intentionally wanting a thicker gasket to drop compression, the regular thickness is just fine.

You don't HAVE to run studs if you don't want to. They are great, but the ARP bolts will also do a solid job. You don't list much about the turbo you're using or power goals, so I'm not sure what type of use/abuse this will see.

If you have a flex fuel truck, then it will have a fuel sensor that will automatically gauge the %alch of your fuel and adjust accordingly. If you want a full e-85 tune and a full seperate pump gas tune, then you'll need to pony up for HP Tuners and flash the different fuel maps in as needed.
Keep in mind that the injector requirements for E85 are different, so the injector you'd need to run corn juice and 20psi boost is MUCH larger than what you would use for somethinn like a 93 octane 8psi setup. An injector that flows enough for high boost on corn gas will be cycled WAY down to idle a low boost pump gas setup, making it harder to idle, and usually less efficient.

If your going from a 4l60e to an 80e later, you'll need to add the wiring provision for the second VSS (ISS), and then make the needed changes to the trans segment on the computer.

I don't know what you mean by "resealing kit"...do you mean to fix a HG leak or something?

Give us more info on what turbo, how much boost, goals etc.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 03:02 PM   #3
king-918

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
The GM MLS gaskets are pretty popular for most applications. Unless your intentionally wanting a thicker gasket to drop compression, the regular thickness is just fine.

You don't HAVE to run studs if you don't want to. They are great, but the ARP bolts will also do a solid job. You don't list much about the turbo you're using or power goals, so I'm not sure what type of use/abuse this will see.

If you have a flex fuel truck, then it will have a fuel sensor that will automatically gauge the %alch of your fuel and adjust accordingly. If you want a full e-85 tune and a full seperate pump gas tune, then you'll need to pony up for HP Tuners and flash the different fuel maps in as needed.
Keep in mind that the injector requirements for E85 are different, so the injector you'd need to run corn juice and 20psi boost is MUCH larger than what you would use for somethinn like a 93 octane 8psi setup. An injector that flows enough for high boost on corn gas will be cycled WAY down to idle a low boost pump gas setup, making it harder to idle, and usually less efficient.

If your going from a 4l60e to an 80e later, you'll need to add the wiring provision for the second VSS (ISS), and then make the needed changes to the trans segment on the computer.

I don't know what you mean by "resealing kit"...do you mean to fix a HG leak or something?

Give us more info on what turbo, how much boost, goals etc.
Not sure of the set up although I would like to see 6-700 hp. As far as resealing kit just all the seals and gaskets without ring, piston, and bearings. I want to keep as stock as possible for now a real budget build. As far as an 4l80e would I just pin in a new sensor on the ecm or have to replace it? I have the fuel sensor from the donor vehicle too. The 86 will never be a daily driver either and I'm open to suggestions on what will be needed to get to my goal. Should I have my stock heads ported and polished with upgraded spring and lifters should I change to a ls6 head? How big of an injector and fuel pump are going to be needed? Hell where should I start

Oh yeah I'm really a Toyota guy, but had some stuff sitting around.

Oklahoma
king-918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:02 PM   #4
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Its the evil cycle. I can't tell you what you need for a fuel system unless I know what you wanna run for a snail, and I can't suggest a snail if I don't know what your willing to spend. (I'll put some ideas at the end)

As for the trans, yes all you need to do is pin the new wires onto the ECM connector (holes/pins for them already exist, just noting is wired to them). You will keep the same computer, just flash a new segment for the trans (its something a good tuner can handle). On that note, have a good tuner ready; turbo builds will always require a few tries to get correct, and I wouldn't settle for a tuner who doesn't road-tune cars as well.

Is this a 5.3 or a 6L? (head, cam, and turbo suggestions will vary based on this)

Either way, you'll need new pushrods/springs, and possibly a boost cam depending how large the turbo goes. The 76mm are popular, but had people run the massive 115mm things on the 400+ci LS motors. Keep in mind, starting around 600whp you start to test bottom end components.

If you wanna do a saturday night special (basically a pullout 5.3 with a put-together turbo kit and a 76mm) will usually be good for anyhwere from 475-650hp depending on how far things are taken.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote