The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-25-2015, 10:53 AM   #1
Jurassic-1

Stock original AD Trucks

How many stock original AD pickups are still out there? I sure see a lot of them put on S10 frames and with other engine swaps. I wondered how many are left.
Jurassic-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:38 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Stock original AD Trucks

Lots of the if you go to a big Chevy/GMC truck meet. Or go to events that draw the restored cars and trucks. I'd think that there are many of them that you never see unless you are at a local small town parade or hit the smaller local shows that draw a wide spectrum of vehicles even if they are a small event. You won't see too many at a Goodguys or NSRA event though.

I have never been big on restoring anything preferring my fun vehicles to be modified but now if I got a deal on a real nice 3100 that was very complete and original I'd probably restore it and park it beside my custom truck. My original truck had already been changed around with a later engine when I bought it in 1973 and the latest version uses half of a cab that a friend gave me 20 years go and half of a cab that came off a 1-1/2 ton that had been used hard and had 500 lbs of big brackets welded on the frame to hold a big tank and pump at one time. No amount of trimming with a torch was going to clean that frame up to where it was presentable. My frame is actually a GMC half ton long bed frame that looks like a 3100 frame but is 9-1/4 inches longer.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:09 PM   #3
Jurassic-1

I see a few restored ones when I go to the Pamona Swap meet in California. I have an original 55 1st series with 63000 miles on it. It was painted 2 times and shows good patina. I like stock and modified but I think it is neat to see vintage vehicles still running after many years.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:29 PM   #4
Advanced Design

We have a stock 1949 3600 stored in a machine shed that Grandpa bought new.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:47 PM   #5
OrrieG

There are a few around here sitting next to homes, always "getting ready to restore". Drove by a 58-59 in a falling down shed I have had my eyes on for 10 years. truck seems to have stabilized the shed, and they put new blue tarps over the roof. Still "going to get around to it" status. Probably lots sitting in rural barns and sheds but so spread out would take a lot of time to look for them.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:20 AM   #6
1project2many

I have a TF, not an AD, but sometimes I feel that stock builds are fewer and farther between than ever. I "restified" mine in the '90s. It still has the stock suspension, trans, and exterior. The interior is stock other than having the seat done in two tone grey/vinyl. The engine was to be stock as the truck was bought as "All original" but I found out the old 265 had been replaced with a 327 that needed overhaul so I built a 302 out of it. It was going to remain carbureted but I was having trouble with the carb and a co-worker challenged me one day at lunch by claiming I could never get EFI to work so now it has Crossfire injection from an 83 Camaro. I couldn't afford a stock replacement radiator when I built it so I modified one from a big 56 GMC. I added a sway bar from a '70s Blazer but I have found a stock bar so that Blazer unit will be removed. I have also bought a power brake unit from a '58 Chevy truck to install. I'm considering trying to modify the piston type power steering unit from a Vette since it appears original but doesn't cost stupid $$. I also try to ensure all the changes can be undone relatively easily if they don't involve period correct parts.

I was at a show yesterday with a beautiful '57 Cameo. As I looked it over I saw 4 wheel discs, IFS, electric fan, chromed tilt column, A/C, bed mounted fuel tank... you know, what everyone is installing. It was a well done job but I just felt like "Really? A Cameo???" Maybe I should start searching for a Flemke front end, some 61 Buick drums and a Nailhead for the next project.

Last edited by 1project2many; 07-26-2015 at 08:41 AM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:19 AM   #7
Jurassic-1

Looking through this truck forum it amazes me how many creative people are out there. I read about guys using parts from various vehicles to create a unique project. Although I am partial to original restorations I find myself liking the patina and rat rod style more and more. I think it is because people take old neglected things and breath new life into them. I think of vehicles as having a sort of life and like neglected animals they could all use a bit of love.