The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-25-2015, 02:52 PM   #1
63longfleet

Carb question

Thanks in advance for any input on this. I am pulling the motor from a 1985 Boat to put in my truck, I am changing the cam to get something streetable, as far as ive been told i have to change the carb out too but no one can tell me why, just that it wont work in a truck/car. The carb on the boat is a quadrajet which i like just wondering why it wont work on a truck.
Charles
63longfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:00 PM   #2
WOLFMANmike

Re: Carb question

ok so i havent had to deal with boats ever lol but as far as i know the boats that have V8 automobile engines in them can swap right into a car or truck and vice versa .. so that being said as far as i know . i would think that regular fuel is fuel and that the carb would run it no mater what its in ... here is 1 thing tho to consider . a Q Jet carb can be a good carb but the very moment the slightest little thing happens to it . it becomes a BIG piece of junk wont run right sputtering all kinds of crap .. but a good eddlebrock or a holley and they will both take a hell of a beating before things go hell west and crooked on you. you may want to hear from some others on here about the swap . but as far as i know gas is gas and it should run the same no matter what its in ..
Happy Truckin
WOLFMANmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:19 PM   #3
geezer#99

Quadrajet will work.
Intake might not!
Normal intake is not level on the carb flange. Usually about 3 degrees off level.
Boat intakes are even more off level. Up to 10 degrees IIRC. Or more.
And the distributor might need recurving.
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:22 PM   #4
Steve66

Quadrajets are really good carburetors. They aren't the easiest thing for a novice to work on and it takes some talent to get one jetted and tuned right with all the combinations possible but once they are they will run for years and years with no attention. That's what all the GM vehicles from about 68 until sometime in the late 80's used until they were replaced with fuel injection. The thing about a quad is that the same carburetor can be tuned to run on a v-6 all the way up to a slobbering big block. Small primaries give you decent fuel mileage and big secondaries give you all the gas you can handle. As far a boat carburetors being different I have no idea why they would be. Also I would prefer a Holley over an Edelbrock.
Steve66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:34 PM   #5
Jurassic-1

As far as I know a boat Quadra Jet is the same. On a boat the air cleaner is a closed system so it will not catch fire from vapors in the engine compartment. I think the carb is the same as a car.
Jurassic-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:17 PM   #6
'63GENIII

I would try running it just the way it is. Cam and all. See how it does. I'm sure that the carb was tuned to run with that cam and unless it was a "hot boat" engine, I would think it may do fine for you. Geezer and Jurrassic bring up very valid points in that the angle of the carb flange may be different depending on whether the boat was a v drive, inboard or I/O. The factory boat ignitions and starters are sealed to prevent exposed sparks in the engine compartment and the carbs usually have the bowl vents dumped back into the carb to prevent bouncing the fuel out of the spark arrestor while on the water. I've had very good success putting boat engines into trucks in the past.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:30 AM   #7
GRX

To state the obvious. Be sure that engine is not reverse rotation. Marine carbs are usually tuned for different torque curve than auto carbs. They are also plumbed differently so the atmosphieric vent is turned down into the carb throat. This is so if it floods the fuel & vapors will be sucked into the engine and burn, not go into the bilge of the boat where fumes can build up. Therefore using an automotive carb on a boat can be dangerous, well as illegal. Should not be too much problem going the other way except for tuning as mentioned above.
GRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:57 PM   #8
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

At least with a Holley, the metering of fuel is different. The part or cruise throttle on a boat is very different than a car. Tire rolling resistance VS a boat pushing water is a huge difference. This affects throttle blade position and the trans circuit from idle to the boosters. With that said, guys get away with using marine carbs on the street all the time and street carbs on boats. It is ideal? No but only trial will tell you. At least the J hooks on a Holley cause a stuck float to drown your motor rather than your intake and the exterior of the motor which can equal a fire.
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:50 PM   #9
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Pro street....good to see you in the forum again ...Longhorn
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:33 PM   #10
cableguy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy longhorn View Post
Pro street....good to see you in the forum again ...Longhorn
Seconded. Welcome back buddy.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:44 PM   #11
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

X3....good to see you back. Don't be such a stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Seconded. Welcome back buddy.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:13 PM   #12
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Man thanks guys......I really appreciate that!
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote