The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2015, 11:39 AM   #1
50burban

Seat Question for AD Suburban

Name:  20150707_204558.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  35.9 KB
Here is a picture of the car in question. My 1950 suburban "family hauler". Trying to figure out what others are doing for interior. Need to install a back seat that has intergrated 3pt seat belts and car seat (baby seat) tie downs. Also trying to see what others are doing for front seats giving ease to the back. Flip forward? longer tracks? just push through?
Thanks
50burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:04 PM   #2
Iceburgh

Re: Seat Question for AD Suburban

Cant help with the back seat...I used 4 captains chairs for mine with no bench in the back or 3rd row seat. There is someone I have seen on Ebay repopping the seats. You could weld in what you need and have them covered.
As far as front seats if you dont go the original route is to look for seats out of a mid 70's Monte Carlo. They swivel and allow people to get in. I have a set that I need to fab my current seats to these tracks.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:04 PM   #3
Iceburgh

Nice Burb by the way
Old 07-30-2015, 12:05 PM   #4
Advanced Design

I am planning on using stock seats so hopefully others will chime in.

Have often thought second row mini van seats that fold and flip would be good for front passenger. Tahoe or truck seats with integrated seat belts could be used in the second and third seat positions once the floor mounts were reinforced for the potential loads. You probably are aware the floor behind the front seats is plywood from the factory.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:25 PM   #5
50burban

Hey Guys. Thanks for the replys. Yes I am aware of the plywood floor and frankly it scares the crap out of me. Debating on welding in a floor over the winter. Currently have a split folding front seat now. Even when all the way forward you still have to squeeze in. Normally I wouldn't care, but having to get back there my self to buckle in my kids....
I have thought of 2nd or 3rd row Yukon folding and flip forwards in the front row. Currently have a van seat in the back. Fits nice, looks good. just no child seat mounting points or 3pt harness.
Thanks for the comments in the ride. Love the truck and always wanted a suburban.
50burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:32 PM   #6
Advanced Design

We plan to haul our Grandkids around so I replaced the floor in our Burb with 16 gauge steel. Maybe overkill though it is solid.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 02:03 PM   #7
mr48chev

Good solid plywood should be just a s strong as 16 gauge as far as something pulling through it. Even in my pickup I ran lengths of steel flat bar under the area that the seat belts bolt through (one for each side that are about 3 inches wide and go across the pair of seat belt bolts with room to spare. That spreads any pull from a belt all the way across the flat bar.

There is some later model two door suv type rig out there that has a fold up flip up right front seat that would look presentable and correct. I can't remember what it is at the moment though. Take a look at 2 door Blazer right front seats, full size or S-10 and see how they work. Either should sit right for the Burb so you don't have to Mickey Mouse seat risers and they should be easy to find. Lots of two door SuV rigs around and one of them should have some nice front seats that match a pair of same brand four door rear seats. = Blazer fronts seats same year burb rear seats.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote