The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2015, 10:57 AM   #1
rs74

Anyone use Tejas Steelworks engine mounts for squarebody?

I came across these mounts that is supposed to allow you to mount the engine and still be able to use the LS A/C compressor without notching the frame. The one thing that I see if the use of headers. These mounts seem to push the engine forward a few inches which makes the fit for some headers an issue. They are not using the truck manifolds with these mounts. They are using Hooker cast iron manifolds designed for the GM E-rod crate engines and say 5th Gen Camaro manifolds will work too. Just thought I would see if anyone has come across this. Here are a couple of links to their FB page and website. On their FB page they have a write up on their install. Just keep turning the page to read more.

https://www.facebook.com/TejasSteelW...type=1&theater

https://squareup.com/market/tejassteelworks

1987 R10 shortie
rs74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:20 PM   #2
Matt Cramer

Re: Anyone use Tejas Steelworks engine mounts for squarebody?

Looks like these would move the engine about 3" forward and a bit upward.
Matt Cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 02:34 PM   #3
solidaxel

I chose to go lower and back with Dirty Dingo and move rear cross member on my 78
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:40 PM   #4
rs74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Cramer View Post
Looks like these would move the engine about 3" forward and a bit upward.
Yes I do believe that is what they say. It will move the engine forward and up a little in order to not have to cut the frame and for the A/C compressor to be able to stay in the stock LS position. That is what intrigued me about this. I have already had my frame blasted and repainted and don't really want to have to cut the frame. The only other option that I can think of is possibly using a TBI style A/C bracket on the LS engine which will mount the compressor up high.

Also the Tejas mounts set the engine up so you can still use the truck LS oil pan so you don't have to mess with that aspect. It is said that if these mounts are used that an engine with the truck intake and cover on will brush the bottom side of the hood but if a car intake is used then you have plenty of room.

1987 R10 shortie
Old 08-03-2015, 04:52 PM   #5
Tilt

I believe the Tejas mounts push the engine far enough forward that you must to go to an electric fan setup also, which a lot of us are doing anyway. I wish I had found his mounts when I started this, but I was far enough along that I didn't want to go back redo stuff. I like there products and an using one of his aluminum fan shrouds on my build. Scotty is a hell of a nice guy and very willing to talk to you and work out your problems. If I do another LS swap, I will defiantly use his mounts and save the money I spent on the CTS-V oil pan, pick up, ect.., and new cross member.
LQ9/4L80 swap (SOLD)
Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:24 AM   #6
rs74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt View Post
I believe the Tejas mounts push the engine far enough forward that you must to go to an electric fan setup also, which a lot of us are doing anyway. I wish I had found his mounts when I started this, but I was far enough along that I didn't want to go back redo stuff. I like there products and an using one of his aluminum fan shrouds on my build. Scotty is a hell of a nice guy and very willing to talk to you and work out your problems. If I do another LS swap, I will defiantly use his mounts and save the money I spent on the CTS-V oil pan, pick up, ect.., and new cross member.
Yep. Electric fans only with his mounts. I am kind of leaning this route as of right now. I am going to look at a parts truck tomorrow for the LM7 it has. I am going to have to keep doing some research first. Just read an article about LS cam comparisons on the LM7 5.3l.

1987 R10 shortie
Old 08-04-2015, 06:25 AM   #7
Tilt

If I had it to do over again, I would go that route. I would also have got the truck running and driving and later on done the head, cam, stall, ect..
LQ9/4L80 swap (SOLD)
Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:30 AM   #8
rs74

I picked up my parts truck the other day. I am going to get it up and running before pulling it out. Then I think I am going to go ahead and buy these mounts and use the Hooker exhaust manifolds.

1987 R10 shortie
Old 08-15-2015, 01:57 PM   #9
foamypirate

I just picked up a set of these mounts for my 88' R20 Crewcab for my 6.0/4L80E swap. I have the advantage of living 2 blocks away from Scotty's shop, so I got to see him make my mounts, and I'll be having him make my fan shroud too. He is a stand up guy!

In my case, they work out perfectly since they move the engine forward 3". Since the 4L80E is 3" longer than my current TH400, the output shaft will land in the same spot as stock and I can use my factory 2 piece drive shaft to get the truck up and running. Down the road I'll fork out the fortune required for a new, custom 2 piece shaft, lol.
foamypirate is offline   Reply With Quote