The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-09-2015, 09:00 PM   #1
J Lee

07 up Suburban trans info needed

We are looking for an 07 up suburban 4x4 for my wife and need some info from those who either have one or are a tech at a dealership.

My mother has an 07 Suburban 1500 2wd and has already had the trans replaced under warranty once. Actually it took the dealership 3 tranmissions from GM to get one that worked. The first replacement trans wouldn't even get the truck off the rack, The second dropped a gear on the tech during the test drive, and the third trans now has less than 50,000 on it and is acting up. This is unacceptable to me, although I feel GM has never been able to build a decent OD trans. Ok the 4l80 or whichever one is the turbo 400 with an OD seems to be alright.

Saying all that to say I see the '10 and up Subs have a 6 speed auto trans are they holding up better? What is everyones experience with them?

Jeff Lee
J Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:15 PM   #2
J Lee

Re: 07 up Suburban trans info needed

I see I boo boo'd and put this in the wrong section. Admins could you move it for me please?

Jeff Lee
Old 08-10-2015, 07:38 PM   #3
clinebarger

Sorry about the bad luck on your mom's Burb, If you ever need one built right PM me.

'07-'08 1500 Burb would have a 4L60E, They generally last at least 150K some go a lot further. Very simple transmissions with a lot of aftermarket support for factory weaknesses.

'07-'08 2500 Burb's have 4L80E's....Stout units!

'09 & up have 6L80E's, I have mixed feelings about them, Shift flares, Broken drums, Funky programing. As they age....These may be worse than a 4L60E ever was & a lot more expensive to fix. Time will tell......
For now they are holding up well though.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:25 PM   #4
J Lee

Thanks for the info clinebarger. I would really like to find a 3/4 ton but they are rather hard to find here and when you do find one they are proud of them. I wish I was closer to your area I can find them out there at reasonable prices.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:26 PM   #5
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

sounds like the guys installing them doesn't have the right software uploaded and it's grenading itself. Or there is a poor connection at trans harness. Either way, we are only getting part of the story. I find it hard to believe GM is sending out bad transmissions.

<sarcasm ; on>
Yeah, 4L60E is junk. That's why mine has 160,000 miles and is still strong.
<sarcasm ; off>
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:48 PM   #6
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C15 View Post
sounds like the guys installing them doesn't have the right software uploaded and it's grenading itself. Or there is a poor connection at trans harness. Either way, we are only getting part of the story. I find it hard to believe GM is sending out bad transmissions.

<sarcasm ; on>
Yeah, 4L60E is junk. That's why mine has 160,000 miles and is still strong.
<sarcasm ; off>
The SRTA rebuilds dealers use are not built by Hydramatic or GM, They are outsourced to the lowest bidder for the contract. Generally they are good units but they have had some "Bad Runs". But I agree....2 in a row is weird.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote