The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2015, 09:20 AM   #1
LBJ

Unusual Horn Problem and Fix

2004 Silverado. Horn started failing intermittently. Then died all together. Inspection time was coming up so had to try to find out why. Only thing I could think of was to check the fuses. I certainly didn't want to go into the center steering wheel cushion with the air bag! Pulled various fuses and they were all good. Then, tried the horn again and it worked! I suppose the fuse was either not seated properly or it had built up some resistance or corrosion. Anyway, horn honked and I get her reinspected for another year. Might be helpful if your horn quits working.
LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:12 PM   #2
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Re: Unusual Horn Problem and Fix

I'm thinking coincidence. probably the clock spring inside steering column. If wheel is turned just right (or wrong) it will work (or not)
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:20 AM   #3
LBJ

Re: Unusual Horn Problem and Fix

The part that is not a coincidence is that it was sitting in the drive, horn not working, and I pulled fuses and tested the horn after each one, and voila, it started working! No moving of the steering wheel involved. Ignition wasn't even on. What is probably the case is that some time ago, I was checking for something else I thought might have been a blown fuse. Could'a pulled the horn fuse and not quite gotten completely reseated. Since I don't use the horn much, might'a gone unnoticed till recently.
LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote