The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2015, 06:30 PM   #1
chad64chevy

wing vent assembly problems!

ok, guys! I'm having a couple problems and need some help!

1) first is the division bars I ordered don't have the brush stuff on the inside like the originals, looks like the fuzzy stuff side on Velcro! what are you guys doing about this?? I don't want the window to rattle or have a gap around it!

2) two is on my original wing vents the channel the glass sit in has a hard plastic stuff I think that helps hold the glass in! what are you guys doing about that??

if you guys can tell me what you have done or seen done would really help me out! thanks ahead of time
chad64chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:32 PM   #2
Lugnutz65

Re: wing vent assembly problems!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad64chevy View Post
ok, guys! I'm having a couple problems and need some help!

1) first is the division bars I ordered don't have the brush stuff on the inside like the originals, looks like the fuzzy stuff side on Velcro! what are you guys doing about this?? I don't want the window to rattle or have a gap around it!

2) two is on my original wing vents the channel the glass sit in has a hard plastic stuff I think that helps hold the glass in! what are you guys doing about that??

if you guys can tell me what you have done or seen done would really help me out! thanks ahead of time
Someone else just posted the same question. Click HERE. Basically, the kit you bought has a cheap substitute (fuzzy stuff) instead of the OEM style division bar window guide. You will need to buy the OEM style. Most vendors sell them. Truck and Car Shop sells them for about $22 and they are correct.

I was just examining my vent windows. I rebuilt them anout 6 months ago. Tonight I noticed how big a gap I had on the outside of the vent between the glass and the outer door. Basically I'm of the opinion that the SuperSeal kits are not any good. The new seal is not correct and water will pour into the door. Just look at my pics. I have my original old seal in my hand. I need to find a good kit with the correct seal and do the rebuild all over again. That stinks.

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.

Last edited by Lugnutz65; 08-10-2015 at 08:39 PM.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:02 PM   #3
chad64chevy

wow lugnutz, that's a gap for sure! I ordered my kit from classicparts about two months ago and just now got them out cause I was going to do it these past weekend then seen the division bar an stop what I was doing! and just ordered the correct felt online from truck and car shop before reading what you put but glad I ordered from the right company on that part! I just hope my seal doesn't have that gap you got
Old 08-10-2015, 09:22 PM   #4
Lugnutz65

Quote:
wow lugnutz, that's a gap for sure! I ordered my kit from classicparts about two months ago and just now got them out cause I was going to do it these past weekend then seen the division bar an stop what I was doing! and just ordered the correct felt online from truck and car shop before reading what you put but glad I ordered from the right company on that part! I just hope my seal doesn't have that gap you got
What company is your kit made by? SuperSeal?

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:28 PM   #5
LT1 Burb

I just sent my division bar kit back to TheTruckShop today, looking for OEM now.
LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:42 AM   #6
chad64chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnutz65 View Post
What company is your kit made by? SuperSeal?
yes the part the glass sit in is super seal, but I didn't ordered that part from classic parts ! I got that stuff from off this forum about a yr. ago! the rest of the stuff I ordered from classic parts didn't come with a vendor label!

so what did you do from the part the glass slides into an sits in? the rubber stuff, or what ever it is! wondering if you reused it or??
Old 08-11-2015, 07:06 AM   #7
Lugnutz65

Quote:
so what did you do from the part the glass slides into an sits in? the rubber stuff, or what ever it is! wondering if you reused it or??
The glass presses into the frame with glass setting tape sandwiched between the glass and frame. Truck and Car Shop and other vendors sell it by the foot. Once it's pressed in then you trim the edges with a razor blade.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:09 PM   #8
chad64chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnutz65 View Post
The glass presses into the frame with glass setting tape sandwiched between the glass and frame. Truck and Car Shop and other vendors sell it by the foot. Once it's pressed in then you trim the edges with a razor blade.
thanks for the heads up! ordered it when I got home after work! I think i'll press in my old glass an cut off of the edge, then press in my smoke gray glass! I don't want to leave a razor blade scratch on the new glass, lol!
Old 08-11-2015, 09:13 PM   #9
Lugnutz65

Quote:
thanks for the heads up! ordered it when I got home after work! I think i'll press in my old glass an cut off of the edge, then press in my smoke gray glass! I don't want to leave a razor blade scratch on the new glass, lol!
Once you press the glass into the frame with the glass setting tape you can't take it back out and insert another piece of glass. It's designed to be a press fit and hold the glass firmly with pressure. If you are careful you will not scratch the new glass.