The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2015, 10:05 PM   #1
Skunksmash

Repair questions

Got two repair questions on my mind. Its an 87 r10 tbi 5.7L 700R4 2WD.

1. Recently replaced my cat converter. Had them inspect the rest of the exhaust, just to see what they'd say. I knew it had plenty of holes. So apparently its bad from the muffler on back, but the rest is good. So what is the disadvantage of having a wore out exhaust from the muffler on back? Is this something that is going to be a drain on performance in some way? I really can't see how it would be. Its just more areas for the gases to escape, before the end of the tailpipe. Should I replace it? If so, then why? It sounds kind of crappy, but that's about all I've noticed.

2. Lately the truck seems to want to die at the stop light. But only sometimes. It seems to drop in rpm down to about 400-500 rpm, and then just die. I want to say it has something to do with putting on the brakes, but I have no idea. The problem is a lot worse when the truck is in reverse. Especially when I'm backing up a trailer, such as my boat trailer. Seems to be the same problem. Just wants to die for some reason. It always restarts just fine.

Anyway that's my two questions. Thanks!
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:02 AM   #2
77 Big 10

Re: Repair questions

1) Exhaust gases are poisonous, that is why the factory routes it from under the truck.

2)I had a 67 GTO that developed a leak at the brake booster, and when I stepped on the brakes, it idled like crap.
77 Big 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:37 PM   #3
Skunksmash

Thanks I'll take a look at the booster.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:44 PM   #4
Skunksmash

And now another repair question. I've got the standard vague, and lousy steering box.

How difficult is the task of replacing it? Whats the hardest part, and how long does it usually take?
Old 08-15-2015, 08:21 PM   #5
Skunksmash

Bump
Old 08-16-2015, 12:19 AM   #6
Zane M

Replacing the steering box is pretty straight forward, but I find it to be a tedious and somewhat awkward task.
The gear box is heavy, and it can be a little challenging to balance it with one hand while getting the bolts started enough to hold it up. Sometimes pitman arms can be stubborn, but since you don't live in the rust belt, at least you won't be dealing with rust.
The last one I did took me about an hour laying on my back in the gravel. The hardest part was getting the lines to sit just right to start without cross threading.
Zane M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 05:14 PM   #7
Skunksmash

Thanks! I just wanted to talk to someone who had done it before. Much appreciated.

I'll have a buddy helping so maybe it won't be difficult on the hard part.