The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2015, 10:24 AM   #1
kingstrider

Wiring help

I need some help. I'm in the middle of replacing my battery cables and noticed some of the front wiring looks wrong, silly stuff like multiple connectors, changes in color along the same circuit, mixing stranded auto and home electrical wire etc. I traced it back to the voltage regulator and removed all the electrical tape to find a rats nest.

Whoever wired the truck omitted the voltage regulator and had taped the connector up with the rest of the wire, I'm guessing this isn't needed with an internally regulated alternator which only has one wire? In moving all the wiring around it appears I shorted or broke a wire somewhere as now the truck is dead, no lights, no starter, nada.

Eventually I want to restore the truck including new wiring but don't want to get into that at this time. For now I would just like to replace the cable to where it joins the firewall. Is this available from any of the suppliers? If so, what would I be looking for? Also do I need the voltage regulator or should I plan to bypass it as well?
kingstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:22 PM   #2
cooperhw

Re: Wiring help

It sounds to me like your truck is kinda a mix of old/new(er) wiring. Sorry I cannot tell you how to un-ratsnest your wiring. But, I just got a kit from http://www.madelectrical.com/
"no affiliation", and re-wired my 68 under hood area.
I know that's not what you want to do now and that's fine, but you might want to give the guy a call. He's very knowledgeable on these older electrical systems and he "REALLY LIKES TO TALK". He might be able to help you thru the issue.
He has "how to manuals on the stuff he sells, and finally I found something that I could follow along that actually makes sense. Usually my eyes start twirling in the sockets about wire #3.

My 68 now has a relay switching the starter on as well as relays for both high and low beam headlights. No more long length wiring. The key and headlight switch now only send out enough voltage (small amount) to trigger the relay. After that it's all constant power.

Anyhow, good luck.

VetteVet is another great source of information. He also "knows his stuff".
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:27 AM   #3
kingstrider

Thanks for the tip, I have been thinking of adding the headlight relay as well. I'm actually in the process of adding a remote starter relay to help with my hot start issue, hence the reason I'm also switching out to larger battery cables. During my research I contacted M&H Electric who makes reproduction harnesses. Turns out the one I need is called the forward lamp harness. They make them for different alternator types so I'll probably go that route if I can't get it figured out on my own. Always something with an old vehicle, glad I enjoy working on them.
kingstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:08 AM   #4
augiep9

There is a colored front harness wiring diagram floating around somewhere. I printed that off and it helped me a lot with a few of my issues.
augiep9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:21 AM   #5
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

If you will PM the moderator and ask him to move this thread to the electrical section I will work with you on this problem. These threads move to fast in this forum to keep up with. Also post the year of your truck, what dash cluster you have and if you know, what alternator you have. If you can post some pictures of your engine compartment it will help. If you can't then I will post some for you to identify.

I can post diagrams for the headlight relays and the starter relay and just about anything else you need.

This is the stock 67 to 72 engine compartment.

Name:  V8-engine-web%20amp%20fuse.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  99.5 KB

This is the headlight relay mod for chevy's, GMCs are slightly different.

Name:  headlight relay mod for chevy.gif
Views: 122
Size:  11.2 KB

Here is one starter relay mod. There are others.

Name:  starter_solenoid.gif
Views: 111
Size:  8.9 KB

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote