The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2015, 10:40 AM   #1
softballnrd27
Always a work in progress

Truck was in storage for 2 years

My truck was in storage for 2 years while I was stationed in Okinawa. The guy that was watching it did good in the beginning by driving it and running it every once in awhile. For the last year to year and a half he slacked off. When I had it delivered Saturday I could tell as soon as it was fired up that it was running like crap. It feels like there is a slight miss. I parked it and had to leave for the rest of the weekend. Under the hood looks like it was pulled out of the water, there is corrosion on the alternator and surface mold all over the place. I have new plugs, oil change stuff, electronics cleaner and fuel treatment. There is about 1/4 tank of gas in the truck now, should I drain it and start fresh? The check engine light is not lit when running so I don't think there are any codes being thrown. It has a new battery as well. What else should I do? I will try and get pics tonight when I get home.
73 SWB 5.3/4l80e
Build Thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=695168
softballnrd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:21 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Truck was in storage for 2 years

-
If it was stored in a humid environment, that would cause what you are describing. That could very well affect the electrical components that are not sealed to outside air. I would go ahead and remove as much of the old gas as I could and put in some fresh. Driving it may do more good than anything else....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:41 PM   #3
softballnrd27

Good call on the driving it Leon!! I did what I could for the fuel then drove it around it started running smoother and smoother as I drove. Put some fresh 93 in it and a bottle of Lucas fuel treatment and I will drive it to work in the morning to see how it goes.
73 SWB 5.3/4l80e
Build Thread:
Old 08-11-2015, 11:09 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by softballnrd27 View Post
Good call on the driving it Leon!! I did what I could for the fuel then drove it around it started running smoother and smoother as I drove. Put some fresh 93 in it and a bottle of Lucas fuel treatment and I will drive it to work in the morning to see how it goes.

Sounds good! The hardest thing in the world on a vehicle is to sit and not get driven...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:08 AM   #5
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

In general I agree, however in the case of long term storage, I really don't like the "run it for a while" method.

The occasional starts don't actually offer an benefit to internal components, and if you live in a cold climate, they can actually be harder on the truck that simple storage. Fuel system circulation isn't as necessary with modern stabilizers. IMO, proper storage and some methods of climate maintenace (like limiting humidity to carpets and interior with charcoal) will hold for years.

As for your problems; some contact cleaner and dielectric grease on all the major plugs will clean you up and protect you in the future if moisture and sitting is an issue you run into.

If you had someone running it, most likley there isn't stabilizer in the fuel...so I'd run some seafoam thru the rail and pump out anything left in the tank if it really is around a year old or so.

And like was already said; some basic maintenance and driving it should clear up most of your problems (or highlight any real problems).

good luck!

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:59 PM   #6
softballnrd27

I have electronic cleaner and some di-electric grease for this weekend when I really get some time on it. I plan to clean under the hood real good, that's the only part of the truck that used to look good!!
I'm at a crossroad as to which direction I want to go with the truck. I just need it to be mechanically sound for the time being.
73 SWB 5.3/4l80e
Build Thread: