The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2015, 01:44 AM   #1
KevinCowTown

Starter Solenoid

Whenever it got rainy and I went to start my truck (85 K2500), once I rolled the key into "start" the starter would spin up... and wouldn't stop. Take the key out the ignition - it's still running the starter (but, of course, with the key out it wouldn't start). Put the key in, jiggle it, hope for the best. It'd keep going until either the truck started or I pulled the battery cable.

But only when it was rainy. Then it started happening at random. Then it was all the time.

Google told me that my solenoid was not working so I stopped at the NAPA on my way home from work and picked one up... and it was a pricey $80.

Took it home, pulled the starter off, pulled the solenoid off that and ("sh*t", I said to myself, in a calm and reasonable voice) the new solenoid wouldn't fit. The plunger on the starter was bigger than the hole in the solenoid.

Back to NAPA.

Looking up the right part, it occurred to me that if the old solenoid was going, the old starter was probably right behind it... so I asked for a price on a new complete starter (with solenoid). $130.

OK, says I, that's a deal. And I go put that on the old truck.

Holy Cow. I used to have to talk to that truck when I started it.

I'd be like "come on General, let's get going" and she'd be all "wa wa wa wa wa wa wa wa wa wait, I don't want to yet". And we'd wait a second and then have another try. I was thinking about putting a second battery in there.

Now? It's like I supercharged that starter. That thing starts like a champ. Betcha I could put a remote starter on it.

So, for what it's worth, in my newly formed opinion - if your solenoid is 5/8ths of the cost of a complete starter you should just replace the whole thing.

That's all I got.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:31 AM   #2
geezer#99

Re: Starter Solenoid

Wow, I know you guys in the Cowtown are bucks up, but solenoids are only 25 bucks out here. And starter's complete are 90 bucks.
But you got one now!
Did you use the right starter bolts and a brace on the starter so you don't get that 'I don't wanta start' syndrome again?
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:17 AM   #3
wilkin250r

I've heard stories of people with slow or sluggish starters, and when the starter finally dies, their new replacement is also slow and sluggish.

If you found a "supercharged" starter that you're really happy with, post the part number.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:14 PM   #4
enaberif

CowTown,

I'm a fellow Calgarian myself and welllll aware of the cost of parts in this city.

If I'm not in a rush for anything I'll buy it from RockAuto before I shop locally.
enaberif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:49 PM   #5
KevinCowTown

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Wow, I know you guys in the Cowtown are bucks up, but solenoids are only 25 bucks out here. And starter's complete are 90 bucks.
But you got one now!
Did you use the right starter bolts and a brace on the starter so you don't get that 'I don't wanta start' syndrome again?
Yeah... Apparently the CORRECT solenoid was only $30. The incorrect ones are much more expensive.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:54 PM   #6
roger97338

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinCowTown View Post
"wa wa wa wa wa wa wa wa wa wait, I don't want to yet"
roger97338 is offline   Reply With Quote