The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2015, 10:03 PM   #1
samtheman97

250 to 283 engine swap advice needed!!

Hi all, I am currently swapping my 250 for a 283 sbc. I found some engine mounts but I was wondering if anything goes in-between the back of the mount and the truck's mount? Also, I heard that I have to move the truck mounts in a certain direction since the I6 was offset? Rhank you so much guys! -Sam
samtheman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:34 PM   #2
padresag

Re: 250 to 283 engine swap advice needed!!

why start a new thread? they go exactly the same place and way.
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:01 PM   #3
samtheman97

Well, I wasn't sure as to how it went in, as I was told that they inline's and V8 mounts were different on the trucks end, having read that I wanted to see how true it was so I wouldn't go and put in a $1200 engine that I worked all summer long to buy and then just have it damaged on incorrectly installed. Thanks for the advice! -Sam
Old 08-12-2015, 11:09 PM   #4
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
why start a new thread?
Well, maybe because this is truck forum where people ask for advice.

To the OP: What year is your truck, and do you plan to keep the current trans (what is it?) or switch to something else?
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:12 PM   #5
samtheman97

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post

To the OP: What year is your truck, and do you plan to keep the current trans (what is it?) or switch to something else?
Hi Mike , its a 1966 Chevy C-10 and I am putting a M10 4 speed behind it. Thank you in advance for the advice!!
Old 08-12-2015, 11:36 PM   #6
OldGMJon

Thumbs up Re: 250 to 283 engine swap advice needed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samtheman97 View Post
Hi all, I am currently swapping my 250 for a 283 sbc. I found some engine mounts but I was wondering if anything goes in-between the back of the mount and the truck's mount? Thank you so much guys! -Sam
Hey Sam...I have the same task to do on my truck...hope to go to school on your thread so take plenty of pictures buddy...
64' Chevy C30 flatbed "above" 80' C30 "beneath")
Parts:
66' GMC 2503 & 65' GMC I1500
OldGMJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:01 AM   #7
padresag

Quote:

that is a pretty brilliant conclusion.
he has another thread on the motor mounts currently running and it has all that info on it
ron
Old 08-13-2015, 05:52 AM   #8
MikeB

Quote:
that is a pretty brilliant conclusion.
he has another thread on the motor mounts currently running and it has all that info on it
ron
My mistake for not doing a search on all his threads before responding to this one. Or yours, for that matter.
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
Old 08-13-2015, 07:03 AM   #9
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by samtheman97 View Post
I found some engine mounts but I was wondering if anything goes in-between the back of the mount and the truck's mount?
If a 66 is like a 67-72, the rubber motor mounts (cushions) bolt to the engine on one side, and frame brackets on the other. (In later model parts catalogs, the frame brackets are called "BRACKET, ENGINE MT FRAME".) But I don't know if they were the same for a six and small block on 66 models. I read somewhere that they are, but one needs to be moved forward. I tried to find an exploded view for you with part numbers at GMPartsWiki.com, but couldn't.

The bellhousing will be in exactly the same place. Muncie trans is same overall length as Saginaw 3-speed (not including OD). Depending on Muncie type, input and output shaft O.D. and spline count may be the same as a 3-speed.

I'm just now completing a 250 six-to-350 swap in my 82 C10, and the main issues were:

1) Finding the right motor mount "clam shells" (which a 66 doesn't use) and making sure the existing frame brackets I mentioned above would work. In my case, I didn't have to replace or move the frame brackets. But I did have to bolt the cushions (different type than 66) using different holes already drilled on the frame brackets.

2) On the engine wiring harness I had to lengthen some wires, shorten others, and change some terminals, but I could have bought a new V-8 harness from AAW.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:51 AM   #10
padresag

Quote:
My mistake for not doing a search on all his threads before responding to this one. Or yours, for that matter.
I think that you are trying to make something out of nothing sir. I basically stated a fact in both cases. that he didn't need to start a new thread as it was a continuation of his very recent previous one and it wouldn't have lead to your confusion it appears. If he had continued the previous thread all of that would have come up in the same place and you would have seen the picture of the insulators(motor mounts so as to not confuse with the term perches which the mounts sit on).
ron
Old 08-13-2015, 09:08 AM   #11
padresag

Quote:
If a 66 is like a 67-72, the rubber motor mounts (cushions) bolt to the engine on one side, and frame brackets on the other. (In later model parts catalogs, the frame brackets are called "BRACKET, ENGINE MT FRAME".) But I don't know if they were the same for a six and small block on 66 models. I read somewhere that they are, but one needs to be moved forward. I tried to find an exploded view for you with part numbers at GMPartsWiki.com, but couldn't.

The bellhousing will be in exactly the same place. Muncie trans is same overall length as Saginaw 3-speed (not including OD). Depending on Muncie type, input and output shaft O.D. and spline count may be the same as a 3-speed.

I'm just now completing a 250 six-to-350 swap in my 82 C10, and the main issues were:

1) Finding the right motor mount "clam shells" (which a 66 doesn't use) and making sure the existing frame brackets I mentioned above would work. In my case, I didn't have to replace or move the frame brackets. But I did have to bolt the cushions (different type than 66) using different holes already drilled on the frame brackets.

2) On the engine wiring harness I had to lengthen some wires, shorten others, and change some terminals, but I could have bought a new V-8 harness from AAW.
there are 16 years difference between what you have and where you are looking for an answer. sometimes things change and they change for a reason. the newer ones don't seem to have the separation problems that the earlier one had. the newer engines also have more facilities(threaded holes in the cyl heads) for the mounting the extras such as alternator and such and may be located in different positions which may account for the different lengths of wire. you changed styles of engines so there are bound to be differences
ron
Old 08-14-2015, 02:33 PM   #12
MikeB

Quote:
there are 16 years difference between what you have and where you are looking for an answer. sometimes things change and they change for a reason. the newer ones don't seem to have the separation problems that the earlier one had. the newer engines also have more facilities(threaded holes in the cyl heads) for the mounting the extras such as alternator and such and may be located in different positions which may account for the different lengths of wire. you changed styles of engines so there are bound to be differences
ron
I agree. Just wanted to point out the types of issues that come up when going from a 6 cylinder to V-8 engine in ANY year Chevy truck.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:59 PM   #13
padresag

Quote:
I agree. Just wanted to point out the types of issues that come up when going from a 6 cylinder to V-8 engine in ANY year Chevy truck.
But that is the reason why I questioned him about starting a new thread as that had been covered in the orig thread which you took exception to me saying that.
it is not "any" year chev by the way. it was a little different putting a sbc in my 32 chev sedan a little over 50 years ago.
ron
i
Old 08-26-2015, 09:55 PM   #14
MikeB

Quote:
it is not "any" year chev by the way. it was a little different putting a sbc in my 32 chev sedan a little over 50 years ago.
ron
Most people realize I meant 60s to 80s Chevy trucks, which is what we are discussing.

Go work on your truck and have some fun!

Last edited by MikeB; 09-24-2015 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:07 PM   #15
OldGMJon

Talking Re: 250 to 283 engine swap advice needed!!

I wonder if Samtheman has any more questions on that swap?
64' Chevy C30 flatbed "above" 80' C30 "beneath")
Parts:
66' GMC 2503 & 65' GMC I1500
OldGMJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:46 PM   #16
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

[quote=MikeB;7288957]
Quote:
ron

Most people realize I meant 60s to 80s Chevy trucks, which is what we are discussing.

Go work on your truck and have some fun!
Ron is a very to the point business like guy. You'll get used to him. He has alot of good info to. Just another different character. Thanks for helping the op as well Mike.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:21 PM   #17
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGMJon View Post
I wonder if Samtheman has any more questions on that swap?
Old 09-24-2015, 09:44 PM   #18
MikeB

[quote=TJ's Chevy;7289104]
Quote:

Ron is a very to the point business like guy. You'll get used to him. He has alot of good info to. Just another different character. Thanks for helping the op as well Mike.
You know, if I responded to an OP's post by saying "Why start a new thread?" I'd expect people to jump on me, UNLESS they knew it was essentially a re-post of a thread question that had been answered. In this case, I had no way of knowing that. So Ron could have said, "I responded like that because he had asked the same question in another thread." In which case I would have said, "Sorry, I now understand your response."

And heck, why criticize my comments about my 250 six to 350 swap? I know the OP has a 66 truck, and I can do the math to determine mine's 16 years newer. But the issues are similar, even if the motor mounts and other related parts are different. And what's with him lecturing me about a 32 Chevy sedan being different than my 82 C10? Geez, no kidding? I've been working on Chevys for 51 years, but that's a new one on me!

Whew!
Old 09-25-2015, 02:14 AM   #19
padresag

[quote=MikeB;7319374]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy View Post

You know, if I responded to an OP's post by saying "Why start a new thread?" I'd expect people to jump on me, UNLESS they knew it was essentially a re-post of a thread question that had been answered. In this case, I had no way of knowing that. So Ron could have said, "I responded like that because he had asked the same question in another thread." In which case I would have said, "Sorry, I now understand your response."
I thought I already answered that. you sound worse than a nagging wife!
Now think; why would I have said that and I was addressing the op and not you. If you had thought about it you would have realized that

And heck, why criticize my comments about my 250 six to 350 swap? I know the OP has a 66 truck, and I can do the math to determine mine's 16 years newer. But the issues are similar, even if the motor mounts and other related parts are different. And what's with him lecturing me about a 32 Chevy sedan being different than my 82 C10? Geez, no kidding? I've been working on Chevys for 51 years, but that's a new one on me!

you made a general statement and I just answered it. I didn't lecture you , but maybe that is what you are use to

Whew!
ron
Old 09-25-2015, 10:35 AM   #20
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Everyone play nice. Only warning....
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 12:06 AM   #21
AcampoDave

Sam, I like 283's. I got a stocker, and a warmed one too. I realize my reply doesn't answer your question, but I am curious about what made you choose a 283 and which direction you took with building it. I doubt you'll have much trouble making the swap. Years ago I helped a pal do it the other way, swapping a worn out 283 for a 250 and although I forget the specifics, it was a simple weekend job.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote