The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-14-2015, 12:48 AM   #1
63ChevC10

63 Inline 6 - Which Radiator?

Hey Everyone,

Let me start by saying that I rarely post on here, but I read what others ask about regularly and I've learned a great deal along the way. So, thanks to everyone for the help!

Here's my dilema. I have a 63 with a 250 inline 6 in it, along with the stock radiator. I've removed the 4-blade belt driven fan and installed a 16" electric pusher (I used it as a pusher rather than a puller due to clearance issues). I don't have a temp gauge, but I'll still the the red "hot" light in traffic, or sometimes if I'm putting a load on it during a hill climb or something like that. I'm not sure what temp triggers the light, but I know it's warm because it spits over some coolant when the light is on. I've been looking at a champion radiator and, after talking to the company and one other who sells them, they seem to think their version of an aluminum 2 row designed for an inline 5 should keep my truck cool. They claim it'll cool to 350hp and I obvioulsy don't have anything close to that! Does anyone have any first hand experience with an aluminum 2 row? I'd rather stick with one of those if it'll be enough because it'll mount right in. Any help would be much appreciated!!

p.s. I think some of my problem was timing/tuning that I've since fixed with an HEI distributor - wow what a difference! But I still want/need a new radiator.

Thanks everyone!

Jerry
63ChevC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:38 AM   #2
Old Bleu

Re: 63 Inline 6 - Which Radiator?

Jerry, I have had the Champion 6 cylinder radiator in my 1964 with 230 for the past couple of years, and have never had a problem. It looks good and cools well.

I've been so happy with it that I just bought the 3 row V8 version for my 350 swap!

Tim
Old Bleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:25 AM   #3
corvettejim1968

i just did a champion 4 core last month. 16in fan pusher same reason no clearance. the fan comes on at 190 and my thermostat is 195. i have a 65 with the 230 six.

https://coolc10.com/
corvettejim1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:41 PM   #4
63ChevC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bleu View Post
Jerry, I have had the Champion 6 cylinder radiator in my 1964 with 230 for the past couple of years, and have never had a problem. It looks good and cools well.

I've been so happy with it that I just bought the 3 row V8 version for my 350 swap!

Tim
Thanks for the replys guys!

Old Bleu - does your truck stay cool in traffic and all with that radiator in it?
Old 08-15-2015, 09:49 AM   #5
Old Bleu

Yes, the truck has always stayed cool, even in the 90 degree plus heat that we have here in the summer. When I installed the radiator, I also installed a new water pump and flushed the system, so that might have helped too. I have a small overflow tank on it, and it has rarely ever spewed any coolant into that.

I have to admit though, that I don't do a lot of stop and go driving in this truck, but when I have, it has never given any indication of overheating. I also installed new seals around the radiator shroud when I installed the radiator to ensure that I got good airflow through the radiator.

I'm in the process of a V8 swap right now, and considered buying a more expensive radiator for that, but the Champion has served me so well, that I went ahead and ordered another in the V8 size. I'm going to run an electric fan with this one since I am using a serpentine belt system on the V8. I'm probably a couple weeks away from having it back on the road, but don't expect to have any problems with the new setup. I'll try to remember to get back to you on the results.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:20 AM   #6
63ChevC10

Quote:
Yes, the truck has always stayed cool, even in the 90 degree plus heat that we have here in the summer. When I installed the radiator, I also installed a new water pump and flushed the system, so that might have helped too. I have a small overflow tank on it, and it has rarely ever spewed any coolant into that.

I have to admit though, that I don't do a lot of stop and go driving in this truck, but when I have, it has never given any indication of overheating. I also installed new seals around the radiator shroud when I installed the radiator to ensure that I got good airflow through the radiator.

I'm in the process of a V8 swap right now, and considered buying a more expensive radiator for that, but the Champion has served me so well, that I went ahead and ordered another in the V8 size. I'm going to run an electric fan with this one since I am using a serpentine belt system on the V8. I'm probably a couple weeks away from having it back on the road, but don't expect to have any problems with the new setup. I'll try to remember to get back to you on the results.
Based on what I've read, and your experience, I think I should be ok with a 2 row. I've also replaced everything in the system except the radiator. I appreciate your time and look forward to hearing how your V8 swap goes!
Old 08-17-2015, 10:46 AM   #7
luvbowties

Smile Re: 63 Inline 6 - Which Radiator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63ChevC10 View Post
Based on what I've read, and your experience, I think I should be ok with a 2 row. I've also replaced everything in the system except the radiator. I appreciate your time and look forward to hearing how your V8 swap goes!
FYI: I have always bought 2-row aluminum radiators (even for my personal '66, with 350 Vortec, 4bbl, 700R4 trans, & mechanical fan with shroud) after talking with the sellers, customers, mechanic-associates and speed shops. Their consensus seemed to be that the 2-row--with its wider rows than the 3-row--would likely cool BETTER than the 3-row. Been happy for several years.

PLUS: I think a shroud will likely always increase an electric fan's effectiveness by a huge margin. One could be surprised by how much "lost air" rushes out a fan's un-guided, wasted path without a proper-fitting shroud--pushing OR pulling. Good luck with your decision.
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:19 PM   #8
63ChevC10

Thanks again everyone. Your input has been helpful to say the least.

luvbowties - I appreciate your info on 2 core radiators. I'll be buying one in the coming months for sure!
Old 08-18-2015, 09:12 AM   #9
MitchFloyd

Take a look at these too. These are stamped to look and fit like your orig.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KKS-3-Row-Al...21138e&vxp=mtr
Old 08-18-2015, 11:54 PM   #10
63ChevC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchFloyd View Post
Take a look at these too. These are stamped to look and fit like your orig.
Thanks. Those look cool! I'll have to do more research on that company to see if they make them for the 63-66 I6 because my radiator isn't a bolt in, it sits in the saddle and the bottom.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:56 PM   #11
63ChevC10

Ok everyone, I'm still up in the air about a replacement radiator. As a refresher, I have a 63 with a 230 (or 250) inline 6. It has the stock 2 core saddle mount radiator that doesn't leak, but it also doesn't like the weather to get very warm. I ordered and received a champion aluminum 2 core (EC6066). It's very close to my original in overall height and width dimensions, but here's the problem...the tanks are wider (a good thing for cooling, but not mounting) on the new one so my saddle mounts won't fit around it. I have no doubt that I'm not the first one to encounter this problem and I know we have a lot of creative minds on here so please let me know what you guys have done to overcome this.

Thanks!
Old 06-23-2016, 06:25 AM   #12
Old Bleu

I made new saddle mounts for the bottom of mine and a new mount for the top. I got a length if 1.5" wide flat steel at Home Depot, then cut it to length and bent it into the U shape in my vise with a 3 lb. hammer. I sized the new brackets to accommodate the original rubber isolation pads. I just bolted the new brackets in at the bottom. I made a similar mount for the top and attached it with rivets to a short length of the same flat stock that I bolted in the original holes. I painted it black, and it blended right in.

When I got my new V8 sized radiator, I used the same process to make wider mounts for it on the bottom, and then welded up some side mounts to hold it in along with the electric fan.

I've been happy with both of my Champion radiators!
Old 06-24-2016, 12:59 AM   #13
63ChevC10

Quote:
I made new saddle mounts for the bottom of mine and a new mount for the top. I got a length if 1.5" wide flat steel at Home Depot, then cut it to length and bent it into the U shape in my vise with a 3 lb. hammer. I sized the new brackets to accommodate the original rubber isolation pads. I just bolted the new brackets in at the bottom. I made a similar mount for the top and attached it with rivets to a short length of the same flat stock that I bolted in the original holes. I painted it black, and it blended right in.

When I got my new V8 sized radiator, I used the same process to make wider mounts for it on the bottom, and then welded up some side mounts to hold it in along with the electric fan.

I've been happy with both of my Champion radiators!
Thanks Old Bleu. Looks like I might do something similar to what you did. I'm just looking for something that is tasteful and not a hack job. It sounds like your idea would be great.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:54 AM   #14
jurbansr

Quote:

Old Bleu,
How did the V8 swap go? I just purchased a 55 GMC. One of the previous owners put a 350 in it and did not upgrade the radiator. Seller admits it is only capable of short trips of 20-30 miles. Is the Champion system with electric fans the way to go? Did you go with 2 or 3 rows?
Thanks,
John
jurbansr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:45 PM   #15
Railroader

As "air conditioning" was part of my restoration process I went with a 2 core aluminum radiator. Instead of electric fans I kept the original fan set up and had shroud made by local sheet metal shop. I also went with 180 degree thermostat.
No overheating problems even with the Stop, Set, Wait, Go and Stop again while cruising the Mississippi Coast during the annual week long vintage event.Name:  63 Radiator.jpg
Views: 1007
Size:  47.8 KB
Railroader is offline   Reply With Quote