The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-14-2015, 04:30 PM   #1
drewbert41

First post. My new 68' C10 Longbed

I traded my 98 S10 w/ 130k for this 68' C10 last weekend. It runs and drives but I need to rewire the whole thing before I drive any. The guy rewired it himself and used twist caps. He also used red wire for the negative battery terminal. It has a 1974 350 in it with unknown mileage. So far I have bought an assembly manual, new battery terminal cables, and a new 9+3 wiring harness from rebel wire. Plan to rewire it and take it for its maiden voyage in the next month or so.

I don't know much about the truck other than what I posted above. Non-original paint. I will have to take a picture of the labels and put them on here.

Pretty excited about it. Let me know what you think!

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
drewbert41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:38 PM   #2
Redline novdog

Re: First post. My new 68' C10 Longbed

Welcome to the IMO the best 67-72 site!!! Good looking '68 ! you keep postin pictures you will fit right in. I'm likeing the turbine wheels.How 'bout a shot of the spid in the glove box, and some more info.Good looking engine bay.Nice paint. is is a driver? or need some work? Could not help but see the $2000. price on the windshield. That would be an excellent starter.I noticed the steering column,must be a manual.The instrument panel is a no guage unit(you can put in there what u want).Nice looking truck!!!!
Old 08-14-2015, 05:46 PM   #3
Jason Banks

I would look into buying the wiring harnesses for underhood. Engine and Front Lights. I think it would only cost a couple hundred. Hopefully the underdash harness is not as bad.

Edit: I guess I should read and not just look at pretty pictures.....I see you bought a harness...
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:57 PM   #4
racerop

First, Welcome!

Very nice truck, I would rather have a full size than an s-10.

That is a very clean engine compartment . You have a great start!

Enjoy what you have because this truck will be fun to drive and work on.
racerop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:52 PM   #5
trac209

Welcome and you scored big time!
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:47 PM   #6
drewbert41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline novdog View Post
Welcome to the IMO the best 67-72 site!!! Good looking '68 ! you keep postin pictures you will fit right in. I'm likeing the turbine wheels.How 'bout a shot of the spid in the glove box, and some more info.Good looking engine bay.Nice paint. is is a driver? or need some work? Could not help but see the $2000. price on the windshield. That would be an excellent starter.I noticed the steering column,must be a manual.The instrument panel is a no guage unit(you can put in there what u want).Nice looking truck!!!!
Thanks! Right now all it needs is rewired. I drove my s10 like 500 miles a year so this will not be much of a driver. I will mostly use it for when I need a truck or when my wife is out of town and I need to go somewhere. He had it listed on craigslist for $3,000 or trade for a good gas mileage vehicle so I offered my s10. $2,000 on the windshield must have been what he was trying to get locally. Either way both of those numbers are higher than what I was getting offered for my truck. The steering column is from a different truck and the shifter has been removed. It has a floor shifter installed and it is an automatic. My new wiring harness comes with wires for oil pressure and temp gauges, so I will at least add those.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:52 PM   #7
drewbert41

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerop View Post
First, Welcome!

Very nice truck, I would rather have a full size than an s-10.
That is a very clean engine compartment . You have a great start!
Enjoy what you have because this truck will be fun to drive and work on.
Thanks I am excited! I was looking for a full size anyways because my s10 could not pickup any drywall, plywood, fence panels, etc. My house is an old project as well

My boss who is a member of this forum has a 63 C10 that he rewired/restored. Luckily he is going to be helping me rewire it.

Last edited by drewbert41; 08-14-2015 at 10:11 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:00 PM   #8
drewbert41

Quote:
Originally Posted by trac209 View Post
Welcome and you scored big time!
I like to think so too. I love seeing peoples reactions that do not agree with us. I bought a 100 year old house in a nice neighborhood that a lot of my friends and relatives would not even consider. It is really starting to look great now over time and it feels a little more rewarding because of that. Same thing goes for this truck. I have shown at least 2 people who looked at me like I was nuts. I plan on owning it forever and it will look great in time. I have always wanted a C10 so it was a no brainer to me. My wife has a thing for antiques so that helped as well
Old 08-14-2015, 10:21 PM   #9
drewbert41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline novdog View Post
Good to see people from Illinois on here. Hope your family wasn't affected by the tornado! If you know of anyone with a tailgate that doesn't want an insane amount of cash for it please let me know.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:29 PM   #10
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbert41 View Post
Good to see people from Illinois on here. Hope your family wasn't affected by the tornado! If you know of anyone with a tailgate that doesn't want an insane amount of cash for it please let me know.
Nice. Might look @ Mad Electric site. Reall
Y good tech articles on how to better wire these trucks. I just installed a kit from him last weekend n my 68. Works awesome.
Posted via Mobile Device
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:50 PM   #11
drewbert41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhw View Post
Nice. Might look @ Mad Electric site. Reall
Y good tech articles on how to better wire these trucks. I just installed a kit from him last weekend n my 68. Works awesome.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks, I will def check it out. I have been trying to plan it out as best as I can so that it will hopefully go smoothly. I bought the 9+3 kit from rebel wire and a color 12x17 laminated wiring diagram from classiccarwiring.com.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:51 PM   #12
bruceman1968

drewbert41, Is the SPID (Service Parts IDentification) sticker still on the inside of the glove box door? If so, see if you have a 551 paint code and a 626 interior trim code. Nice truck! You made a good deal on it. Congrats.

Last edited by bruceman1968; 08-21-2015 at 02:56 PM.
bruceman1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:25 AM   #13
drewbert41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceman1968 View Post
drewbert41, Is the SPID (Service parts IDentification) sticker still on the inside of the glove box door? If so, see if you have a 551 paint code and a 626 interior trim code. Nice truck! You made a good deal on it. Congrats.
It is there but its pretty rough. I'll get a picture of it in the morning. I can tell by looking closely at interior and a few spots under the hood that it used to be a flaky blue. I thought it may have been an anniversary truck until I saw that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-15-2015, 11:05 AM   #14
Redline novdog

Thanks for caring. My house was about 1/2 mile from the devastation. A lot of people weren't so lucky.
I'll have to look for two tailgates I need one also! LOL I was just checking on wiring harnesses for the engine bay on my '67( ammeter inoperative) .Plug and play ones are quite pricey.Good thing yours came with one. Have fun with your truck. A lot of talented /professional and novice people on this site. If you run into problems post it up!!!
Old 08-15-2015, 12:16 PM   #15
bruceman1968

Quote:
It is there but its pretty rough. I'll get a picture of it in the morning. I can tell by looking closely at interior and a few spots under the hood that it used to be a flaky blue. I thought it may have been an anniversary truck until I saw that.
Posted via Mobile Device
I saw the blue also, but I'm still pretty sure that your truck started out as a anniversary special. You have a gold dash pad. Gold dash pads are not reproduced and were only available with the 625, 626, or 627 interior trim codes, which are the recommended interior codes for the 551 paint. You also have matt gold paint on the top of the dash and gold paint on the interior of the doors behind where the door panels would cover. Your windshield trim is bright as are the venti panes. This indicates that the truck was either a Z62 Custom or a Z84 Custom Sport Truck. Z62 or Z84 Trim level was required for the 50ths also. (Unless a base truck was ordered with the A50 bucket seats) I suspect your truck was the upper trim level Z84 CST, as your brake pad design is unique to the CST. Be curious to see what the SPID says. I suspect you'll find
B98 body side molding
Z84 Custom Sport Truck
551 Gold and White
626 parchment/gold
among the other options. Sure would be cool to find a hidden Annie. Great truck! You did great on the deal and are already on the right track, with your new wiring harness to getting the truck to be a reliable driver. Also looks like your roof and drip rail are relatively rust free. That's a big plus. Gook luck and welcome to the forum.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:24 PM   #16
drewbert41

Quote:
I saw the blue also, but I'm still pretty sure that your truck started out as a anniversary special. You have a gold dash pad. Gold dash pads are not reproduced and were only available with the 625, 626, or 627 interior trim codes, which are the recommended interior codes for the 551 paint. You also have matt gold paint on the top of the dash and gold paint on the interior of the doors behind where the door panels would cover. Your windshield trim is bright as are the venti panes. This indicates that the truck was either a Z62 Custom or a Z84 Custom Sport Truck. Z62 or Z84 Trim level was required for the 50ths also. (Unless a base truck was ordered with the A50 bucket seats) I suspect your truck was the upper trim level Z84 CST, as your brake pad design is unique to the CST. Be curious to see what the SPID says. I suspect you'll find
B98 body side molding
Z84 Custom Sport Truck
551 Gold and White
626 parchment/gold
among the other options. Sure would be cool to find a hidden Annie. Great truck! You did great on the deal and are already on the right track, with your new wiring harness to getting the truck to be a reliable driver. Also looks like your roof and drip rail are relatively rust free. That's a big plus. Gook luck and welcome to the forum.

This thing has seen better days. Best pic I could get of it. Maybe someone knows how to work some magic?

My roof has holes from top lights that used to be there and they are rusty. The drip rail has a little rust as well.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-15-2015, 12:51 PM   #17
drewbert41

Old 08-15-2015, 01:00 PM   #18
bruceman1968

It's a 50th! congrats.
I was wrong about the trim level. Yours is a Z62 custom, not a Z84 CST.
Here is a breakdown of your SPID
MODEL= CE10934
4551AA OFF-WHITE/GOLD
4V37AB CHROME-BUMPER FRT
4PO3AA CHROMED HUBCAPS
4625AA PARCH/CLOTH TRIM
Right Side is
4G50BA HD REAR SPRING
4Z62EA CUSTOM C&C EQUIP
4B98AB SIDE TRIM MOLD EQ
Old 08-15-2015, 01:14 PM   #19
Redline novdog

Things just got more interesting drewbert41!!!! Just climbed a couple rungs on the cool ladder. You might want to leave extra time when take it to a store or just drive it. Always have someone asking about the 'ol trucks !
Old 08-15-2015, 01:14 PM   #20
drewbert41

Quote:
It's a 50th! congrats.
I was wrong about the trim level. Yours is a Z62 custom, not a Z84 CST.
Here is a breakdown of your SPID
MODEL= CE10934
4551AA OFF-WHITE/GOLD
4V37AB CHROME-BUMPER FRT
4PO3AA CHROMED HUBCAPS
4625AA PARCH/CLOTH TRIM
Right Side is
4G50BA HD REAR SPRING
4Z62EA CUSTOM C&C EQUIP
4B98AB SIDE TRIM MOLD EQ
I am curious how you were able to tell for sure? I can only make out a few letters on the SPID. I take it a PO removed the side trim and filled in the holes? Do you happen to have a pic of a stock truck with my trim level? I would like to have an idea of where everything used to be. I have searched but a lot of them are different.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:21 PM   #21
drewbert41

This is the best one I could come up with.

Old 08-15-2015, 01:30 PM   #22
71HUGGER396
Confirmed Truckaholic

Very nice
1971 2wd fleet shorty, 454, 700r4, 3.73 posi, SOLD to 67OLDSTYLE72
"My rig's a little old but that don't mean she's slow" - SAWYER BROWN's Six Days On The Road

SEMPER FI "I use to be a lean mean fighting machine, but now I'm a huffin, puffin, over stuffin love muffin"
71HUGGER396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:46 PM   #23
bruceman1968

Quote:
I am curious how you were able to tell for sure? I can only make out a few letters on the SPID. I take it a PO removed the side trim and filled in the holes? Do you happen to have a pic of a stock truck with my trim level? I would like to have an idea of where everything used to be. I have searched but a lot of them are different.
Drewbert41, First let me say that was a lot of fun for me. I enjoy finding hidden annies and hidden highlanders. Thanks for posting such good pics. Sure made it a lot easier. I was able to tell mostly because I know what Should be there. I have been studying SPIDS for years and have a special interest in the 50ths. I also have lots of good 50th SPIDS to compare to. I could have done it faster if I knew what assembly plant it was from, but I am confident that I got all the codes and descriptions correct. Also I used some Photoshop magic to make it easier to read. Some of it was not readable, but there were enough clues to figure it out, knowing what should be there.
Yes, someone filled the side trim holes and removed the door badges.
The truck you just posted is exactly what your truck looked like. It's even a custom Z62 trim truck. Here is a shot of the interior on that same truck.
Name:  $T2eC16R,!)0E9s37F0(!BSFVQLM8i!~~60_3.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  99.2 KB
This is a different truck, but the same as yours would have been.
Name:  5L35Me5Je3Me3p03H8c7lc891b2806c5d18d5.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  49.6 KB
Old 08-15-2015, 01:57 PM   #24
drewbert41

Well thanks for taking the time. I am pretty excited about it. I had a feeling, but once I saw the blue I figured it wasn't a 50th.

What door emblem am I missing? I don't see one in the pics.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:14 PM   #25
bruceman1968

Top center of door. Where your elbow would rest with the window down.
Name:  $T2eC16FHJFwFFZ3NWm7BBR2)j8Ofsw~~60_3.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  41.4 KB