The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-21-2015, 12:46 PM   #1
Isaiah92260

Help with I6 valve cover gasket.

Saw a video on YouTube by Scared Shiftless, and old dude was saying TO NOT USE SILICONE. He said to use spray glue on the valve cover said and the gasket, make sure they are dry, and isn't the bolts hand tight plus a good half turn, using a CORK GASKET. I heard use Rubber gaskets, he said Rubber Gaskets suck, my mind is blown, please share your advice and opinions because I replaced my valve cover gaskets and I'm getting leaks again so I patched them up with silicone -,- I used a fork gasket because NAPA didn't have rubber. Should I buy a new cork gasket and do it again using glue?? Help!
Isaiah92260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:00 PM   #2
jayoldschool

Re: Help with I6 valve cover gasket.

I just replaced my gasket after doing a new rocker nut. Used rubber, no glue. No leaks.
jayoldschool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:05 PM   #3
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah92260 View Post
Saw a video on YouTube by Scared Shiftless, and old dude was saying TO NOT USE SILICONE. He said to use spray glue on the valve cover said and the gasket, make sure they are dry, and isn't the bolts hand tight plus a good half turn, using a CORK GASKET. I heard use Rubber gaskets, he said Rubber Gaskets suck, my mind is blown, please share your advice and opinions because I replaced my valve cover gaskets and I'm getting leaks again so I patched them up with silicone -,- I used a fork gasket because NAPA didn't have rubber. Should I buy a new cork gasket and do it again using glue?? Help!
The maker of that video is voicing his opinion. That's all. Don't let a video get you upset. Tomorrow you will probably find a video that says the complete opposite. Then what?

So you want to know which is best? Check the FSM to see what Chevy used from the factory. Cork will be ok. So will rubber. Proper installation is much more important than anything else.
You will find many differing opinions.

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:11 PM   #4
Isaiah92260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnutz65 View Post
The maker of that video is voicing his opinion. That's all. Don't let a video get you upset. Tomorrow you will probably find a video that says the complete opposite. Then what?

So you want to know which is best? Check the FSM to see what Chevy used from the factory. Cork will be ok. So will rubber. Proper installation is much more important than anything else.
You will find many differing opinions.
Not upset, mostly hunger for knowledge. What do you prefer? Rubber and silicone? I feel like I caked on too much silicone, I had to patch on some areas. I just checked under my hood right now and feel like I should also get a block of wood and flatten out some of the edges of the valve cover.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:13 PM   #5
Isaiah92260

I was thinking about getting the Offenhuase aluminum valve cover but I saw that it doesn't have an outlet for the PCV valve.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:21 PM   #6
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah92260 View Post
Not upset, mostly hunger for knowledge. What do you prefer? Rubber and silicone? I feel like I caked on too much silicone, I had to patch on some areas. I just checked under my hood right now and feel like I should also get a block of wood and flatten out some of the edges of the valve cover.
No, not upset. Didn't mean that literally. Leaking cover can be from cover being bent, bad gasket, improper installation or a combo of those. Not pointing fingers at you. We've all had them leak. Just start over. Buy a new gasket. I have rubber kind and no leaks. I have a cork one on my shelf as a spare. To me it makes no difference. Make sure the valve cover flanges are in good shape. Many people over tighten the bolts thinking it will stop a leak. Then the cover gets damaged. It needs even pressure all around. A thin line of gasket sealant should be enough. Make sure mating surfaces are clean. Tighten each bolt a little at a time and move around until pressure is even.

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:48 PM   #7
vince1

When I get them when they have been over tightened I put a socket on one side with a bolt through the hole to the other side, put a nut on and tighten until it is straight again.

Then a thin smear of silicone on one side of the gasket, lay it in the channel, thin smear of silicone again on the other side and set it down with bolts barely more than finger tight. Next day another half turn and it is good to go.
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:54 PM   #8
TJ's Chevy

I used rubber gaskets on my 292 with no problem. Just DON'T tighten the CRAP out of the bolts! Hand tight is almost enough. Silicon will help for sure. I have heard bad things about the offy so I'd be careful getting one.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 07:56 PM   #9
jayoldschool

I should also mention that I took out my body tools and made sure the cover flange was straight as an arrow.
jayoldschool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:09 PM   #10
Isaiah92260

Thank you everyone for your reies! I've been F work but I've been reading them all day, I got myself a wooden block from work and when I buy the gaskets for dirt cheap from RockAuto, I'm gonna straighten out the valve cover, I think that is my Issue, I'm gonna go with Rubber this time as well, I have cork in there now. I'm also missing one washer as well,
Old 08-21-2015, 10:49 PM   #11
65 GMC

I know that this isn't a valve cover but I just changed the filter and gasket on the powerglide transmission in my Chevelle. I know it may sound wrong but the instructions that came with the filter kit (rubber gasket) said to clean both mating surfaces and make sure that the pan was straight. Then apply a thin layer of grease to both sides of the gasket and install the pan torqueing it in a criss cross pattern. First to 80 inch pounds then a second time to 120 inch pounds. That was about 3 weeks ago and so far no leaks on the garage floor.
65 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote