The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-22-2015, 08:10 AM   #1
Racin_jason

Saturday morning speedometer project.

So I currently only have one hurdle stopping me from getting my truck safety checked and driving on the road. The speedometer. I originally thought that it could be the cable that needed to be replaced but when I removed the cable and spun it either by hand or by a drill it would spin fine and not bind or jump as i had previously suspected. When I attached it to the speedometer and spun it by hand or by the drill it would read what i can only assume is perfectly . Seeing nothing at all before this was a big step in the right direction. After I got this far I removed the bullet housing the speedo gear. This was my prime directive all along as it was leaking and I figured i should replace the seals and such. When i removed the bullet from the transmission i checked the fitment (gear to cable) and everything seemed savvy So I replaced the seals and crammed everything back together. Went for a tour around the block and NOTHING was working again. so here I am.

Has anyone else had such devious happenings hold them up in this situation?
Racin_jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:07 AM   #2
geezer#99

Re: Saturday morning speedometer project.

You might have the wrong gear in it. Too small. Doesn't mesh with the drive gear inside.
Or!!!
And this is the likely culprit!!
The drive gear is just spinning freely on the output shaft. It has a clip to hold it in place.
Pull the bullet again and reach in to the drive gear and see if you can slide it either way on the shaft. It shouldn't move.
Replacement clips are available.
You have to pull the tail housing to replace it though!
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:11 AM   #3
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

The ratio adapters are bad about getting dirt/grime built up (and/or freezing) and shearing a tooth. I also had one shear the metal drive key. If it is none of the above, it'd just about have to be in the trans. Oddly enough, all that is driven by plastic gears although I haven't read anything about them failing.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:18 AM   #4
Racin_jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
You might have the wrong gear in it. Too small. Doesn't mesh with the drive gear inside.
Or!!!
And this is the likely culprit!!
The drive gear is just spinning freely on the output shaft. It has a clip to hold it in place.
Pull the bullet again and reach in to the drive gear and see if you can slide it either way on the shaft. It shouldn't move.
Replacement clips are available.
You have to pull the tail housing to replace it though!

this could be the problem I just took the truck around the block and I pulled the cable from the back of the gauge and it didnt spin at all while driving.

EDIT: I just took the bullet back out that the internal gear doesn't appear to be meshing at all.

Last edited by Racin_jason; 08-22-2015 at 09:35 AM.
Racin_jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:21 AM   #5
homemade87

Racin , Its possible someone has installed the wrong type gear to mesh with your drive gear. http://www.transmissioncenter.net/sp...n_______va.htm
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:30 AM   #6
Axle

I had that occur on my '81. 5 miles from picking it up the speedo started bouncing a bit and went dead. Had my GPS with me so used it for my speedometer instead.
Anyway, my speedo bullet had a lot of movement in the housing, I ran a tywrap around the speedo cable where it exits the bullet and around the crossmember to keep the speedo gear engaged with the tailshaft drive gear.

Alex.

Last edited by Axle; 08-22-2015 at 10:31 AM. Reason: spulling
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote