The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-22-2015, 10:06 PM   #1
LDO

Input on smog removal

I've got an 85 c10 with the 305 and all the smog stuff and I'm thinking or pulling all that crap out.

My plan is to get an elebrock carb (600 cfm) intake combo and one of those summit HEIs and a new thermostat cover.

Is it really that simple? Seems like nothing ever is...

Anyways, what would be the timing setting after all of this?

The only vacuum ports I need to consider would be the HEI, brake booster and cruise correct?

thanks in advance.
LDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:13 PM   #2
rich weyand

Re: Input on smog removal

You should be able to run base timing in the 12 - 16 degrees BTDC range. More is better, until it knocks under load, then back off two degrees.

And connect the vacuum advance to manifold vacuum (driver's side port on the Edelbrock).

1978 K10 RCSB DD.
rich weyand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:20 PM   #3
jocko

If you're still PCS'ing around, I would not pull the smog - odds of orders to SoCal are always high for a Marine. If you're a retired LDO, and MS doesn't smog that year truck, then all bets are off - but I would certainly seal it in a nice box in case you ever sell it. Think how much the 72 big block smog parts are worth these days, and they were the first thing in the trash in 72! Ha. If you're worried about resale at all, personally, I'd retain it - you may limit your audience to like-state only buyers. If you know it's a keeper forever, then see what MS has to say and then go from there. If they're good with it, it'd be fine to pull it with all the above considerations. As for timing, I usually hear pinging well before I get to the 16 range, 12 is about the max I'd go. But concur with Rich, whenever you DO hear pinging, back off two, at least. I would shoot for 10-12 deg myself and see how it feels.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:22 PM   #4
LDO

Yes, I'm done with the moves. Retired a little over a year ago and MS doesn't check, inspect or care.

I am a pack rat so I plan to keep this stuff.
LDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:49 AM   #5
Dead Parrot

From memory, my heavy duty emission 75 has the following vacuum items:
vacuum advance on distributor, PVC, brake booster, THERMAC(air cleaner), shift modulator on the transmission, and climate control(most of the flaps in your heat/air are vacuum powered). If you have and pull the charcoal canister you will need to arrange for gas tank venting(if it works, probably better off leaving it).
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote