The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2015, 02:01 PM   #1
RodsGreen10

Ok Guys What Am I Missing

I have looked at this so long I am at a loss.
Ok so I have installed all brand new suspension on my buddies truck everything is new front to back. New coils new spindles new upper and lower control arms new body bushings new leaf spring and new shackles. He has copied what I ha e done with mine minus the Porter front shock relocators. The issue is that the passenger side fender sits 1" lower than the drives. So I get underneath the truck and measure from the bump stops to the crossmember perch the part that the bumps top would hit. It is 1/4 different from left to right. Now I know that does not equal 1" at the fenders checked the bottom of the crossmember it is level with a laser. So I am lost I don't see how 1/4 from left to right on the bump stop to crossmember coil perch is making the front passenger fender hang down 1" lower. Yes everything is seated and installed proper and torqued to spec. So I have looked and messed with it that I just can't see anything wrong with it. That is why I am coming to you all to get your opinions. To be honest I think this is driving me crazier than it is him but my god a 1" difference is not good enough for me. Even if it isn't my truck.
RodsGreen10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:15 PM   #2
Matt Man

Re: Ok Guys What Am I Missing

What is the measurement from the ground to the top of the fender on both sides? Most trucks seem to sit lower on one side or the other, you will probably have to either cut the coil on the higher side a bit, or put a coil spacer on the lower side to make it level. This drove me nuts on my 06 single cab that I lowered.
2020 Silverado Double Cab LT Z71 5.3 8 speed Daily Driver

K10 build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671934

The Peach build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=733903

Matt Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:29 PM   #3
RodsGreen10

Sits lower on passenger side. Gas tank is empty. Only one gas tank passenger side. Factory air truck. And leaf springs are brand new. The entire suspension is new front to back. Yes I k ow about the square body lean. But I want to resolve this issue for him.
It just baffles me why underneath at the suspension point that it is only 1/4 difference left to right but at the fender it is 1".
And not to be a butt but to get an accurate measurement you should measure from center of wheel to fender.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:15 PM   #4
77 Big 10

Is this up front? If so is the coil spring seated correctly?
77 Big 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:38 PM   #5
RodsGreen10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Big 10 View Post
Is this up front? If so is the coil spring seated correctly?
Yes it is seated correctly. From what I can tell it may possibly be the rad support or the frame. I can take a jake and put it under the passenger side rad support "that is the side that sits lower" and put pressure on it and it lifts it just enough to be even. Also make the spacing from the bushing to crossmember perch the same also. I k ow everything is installed correctly this is about the 8th time I have lowered one of these trucks. And I am torque crazy everything has to be torqued to spec.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-25-2015, 07:54 AM   #6
Rich84

When I first lowered mine the driver side was about 3/4" lower. After driving it for quite some time that difference was cut in half.
How does the back sit? If you raise the opposite rear corner the front will drop. Sometimes switching the leafs can help.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:07 AM   #7
homemade87

The first thing I would do is drive it for around 500 miles to let the springs settle in before I did anything . This can change a lot . Also the frame can be tweaked . These frames are week . Ever watched your cab and bed driving across a ditch diagonally . It moves quite a bit .

To fix mine I had to trim one of the front springs to get it right . It has been dead on ever since .

Don't forget body bushing . These and affect it also .
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:47 AM   #8
J Knight

With 1/4in difference at the bumpstop, I believe I would swap sides with the coils springs and remeasure, that will eliminate or confirm if its a coil spring issue or frame/body issue.