The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2015, 02:57 PM   #1
HEAVCHEV3

Smile Low Idle/Fast Idle Cam Fix

Fast Idle cam is the issue I notice that if I adjust it manually I can get the truck to idle just fine like it should. When I put it in gear no issues as well, but If I hit the throttle fast idle cam just drops and doesnt catch one of the steps. So therefor it idles really low like it wants to cut off.What am I doing wrong. How do I get the truck to respond to throttle and catch the 2nd step. I've adjustested the rod but I know for a fact that I'm not doing it correct. Rochestor Monojet. Please help I'm almost there I can see light at the end of the tunnel
HEAVCHEV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:01 PM   #2
Jurassic-1

Re: Low Idle/Fast Idle Cam Fix

You may need to adjust the linkage. It may need to be longer to hold the choke on longer. If this does not work you may want to change the choke stove. It may be worn and coming off too quickly. Even if it comes off the idle should be at 700 RPM Check the linkage first and reset the idle . The fast idle usually is around 900 - 1000 RPM. You may just recheck the whole thing. Point gap (Dwell), Timing and carb adjust. My Blazer does what you are describing but will idle regardless of choke setting.
Jurassic-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:27 PM   #3
luvbowties

Smile Re: Low Idle/Fast Idle Cam Fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic-1 View Post
You may need to adjust the linkage. It may need to be longer to hold the choke on longer. If this does not work you may want to change the choke stove. It may be worn and coming off too quickly. Even if it comes off the idle should be at 700 RPM Check the linkage first and reset the idle . The fast idle usually is around 900 - 1000 RPM. You may just recheck the whole thing. Point gap (Dwell), Timing and carb adjust. My Blazer does what you are describing but will idle regardless of choke setting.
Hold choke flap completely open when adjusting low idle. Choke, by itself, rotates flap and fast idle cam into fast idle position. Else, fast idle cam linkage on backwards?
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:14 PM   #4
HEAVCHEV3

Re: Low Idle/Fast Idle Cam Fix

ok this is whT Im working with hope pics can help you guys help me get it on the rode.
Attached Images

HEAVCHEV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:57 AM   #5
luvbowties

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEAVCHEV3 View Post
ok this is whT Im working with hope pics can help you guys help me get it on the rode.
Turn the idle-stepper over.
Sam
Old 08-25-2015, 06:27 AM   #6
luvbowties

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEAVCHEV3 View Post
**WRONG INFO ABOVE**

Fast idle stepper cam is working backwards! As pictured, the steps(most likely the slowest step)should be where it rests under the fast-idle tab. Check linkages and shafts from choke heater to and thru carb and to stepper cam-shaft to see what needs to be reversed/readjusted. I'd guess a rod from choke flap is hooked onto wrong side of a rotating flat tab whose other side hooks to, or it is made to, linkage/shaft going on to fast-idle stepper cam--else, that tab is mounted backwards, making everything from there to fast idle cam turn backwards.
Sam

Last edited by luvbowties; 08-25-2015 at 06:28 AM. Reason: spell