The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2015, 07:59 PM   #1
Andy4639
Old member

Question Questions...

I have been looking at having a clear bra installed on my truck, the 3m film kind. While searching I ran across this spray on rubber stuff.
I found these guys locally that spray it on and dip it it on wheels.

Dip It Motorsports in Easley SC.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dipit...29664600393268

To do the front end and all four wheels they quoted me $500.00. I thought it was a good price but want to see if anyone has tried this before and what concerns you have about it.
My 338 Boss wheels are the grey ones but they don't match my truck color grey so he is going to dip them in his metalic grey dip which looks darn near the same color from what I saw today.
Thoughts, comments are concerns to any one who has done this before. LMK thanks.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:09 PM   #2
supercheyenne

Re: Questions...

I suggest you PM member BR3W CITY. He's actually painted a Nissan 350z twice with Plasti-dip.

I've never done it but I can tell you it lasts 1 year at the longest so paying $500 seems expensive to me since you will need to peel if off in 12 months.

I also know you can purchase pre mixed cans and spray it yourself. I have a buddy who did it. I have no idea how much he spent but I'm sure it wasn't $500.

I think it's fascinating stuff. Just don't know how much I'd pay for something so temporary.
supercheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:23 PM   #3
Steven R

I had a 3M film put on the nose of my hood and back about 6 inch of my 2004 truck and has really head up well and you can tell where some stones have hit but not chipped the paint under. I will be doing the same 3m film on my 71 when I get to that point. can't remember what it cost but it was pricey but cheaper than repainting the hood all the time.

Good luck I would love to see what you decide to do and how it looks.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:24 AM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercheyenne View Post
I suggest you PM member BR3W CITY. He's actually painted a Nissan 350z twice with Plasti-dip.

I've never done it but I can tell you it lasts 1 year at the longest so paying $500 seems expensive to me since you will need to peel if off in 12 months.

I also know you can purchase pre mixed cans and spray it yourself. I have a buddy who did it. I have no idea how much he spent but I'm sure it wasn't $500.

I think it's fascinating stuff. Just don't know how much I'd pay for something so temporary.
I was told it last for years. The guy I talked to did his truck back in 2012 he said. I have thought about doing it myself but not wanting to do it then take it to have it fixed right!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:40 AM   #5
michael bustamante

we used the 3m film on the door handles, skid plate area and the nose of a 2011 camaro when it was brand new. 4 years later you can see all the scuff marks and the long nail scratches dragging the door handles on the film but the paint underneath is still perfect
Old 08-26-2015, 11:19 AM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bustamante View Post
we used the 3m film on the door handles, skid plate area and the nose of a 2011 camaro when it was brand new. 4 years later you can see all the scuff marks and the long nail scratches dragging the door handles on the film but the paint underneath is still perfect
The only thing I didn't like about the 3m film is it gets dirt around the edges and you can't get it off. Several friends have shown me there's.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 08-26-2015, 12:12 PM   #7
bs46488

I used that plasti dip stuff on my DD to cover up the chrome bumpers.

My truck ended up getting rear ended and totaled. While at the body shop doing all the insurance stuff, the adjuster made a comment about how since i painted the bumper, they wouldn't cover it in the estimate. He was very shocked when I told him it was plasti-dip out of a spray can. It was very durable during the accident.

In regards to your original question, IMO, dipping and wrapping prices are outrageous because that is what is currently "cool". To dip a wheel its one can of paint per tire. Probably 1 can for the front bra. For simple math, that's 5 cans of paint @ $10. So $50 of paint and $450 in labor. Seems a little high to me.
bs46488 is offline   Reply With Quote