The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-26-2015, 12:56 PM   #1
mjgord51
Account Suspended

Brake lines

It's been real helpful here getting some answers I need SO here I go once more. Can it be done to replace all brake lines front to back with the truck in running condition you know like nothing disassembled from it " all together ", I been under it and It does look challenging as for the front section under the engine area but hay its only one more challenge RIGHT, Thanks in advance for any input. mjgord51
mjgord51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:22 PM   #2
cooperhw

Re: Brake lines

Possible? Yes. Hard? Yes. Lots of stuff gets put in at the factory and maybe over the years (exhaust hangers, etc.) that is over or on top of those brake lines. Difficult to say the least. Almost not doable unless you are willing to use couplers part way.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:50 PM   #3
mjgord51
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhw View Post
Possible? Yes. Hard? Yes. Lots of stuff gets put in at the factory and maybe over the years (exhaust hangers, etc.) that is over or on top of those brake lines. Difficult to say the least. Almost not doable unless you are willing to use couplers part way.
Will have to get a real good look at if any things in the way, the exhaust on the driver side so not a problem there, E brake cable might, but that can be taken apart too give some slack in a problem area if needed, I see only one coupler on the longest line & that's on pass side. The idea of adding to it (couplers) that scares me, I am a Journeyman Electrician and when you add a extra wire nut you add another potential problem area, in this case a potential leak area. For safety sakes less is more. I'll give it the old collage try!
Old 08-26-2015, 03:12 PM   #4
72kool

it may be challenging and take longer, but not impossible by any means. for 2 years of my mechanic career, i was strictly just brakes at midas (thats alot of brakes when you are doing them) it was not an uncommon thing to replace a brake line. a pain in the !@# but you can do it
72kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:18 PM   #5
cdowns

The worst part of the job is cleaning the 40years of crap that has found a home on your front crossmember
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:36 PM   #6
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgord51 View Post
Will have to get a real good look at if any things in the way, the exhaust on the driver side so not a problem there, E brake cable might, but that can be taken apart too give some slack in a problem area if needed, I see only one coupler on the longest line & that's on pass side. The idea of adding to it (couplers) that scares me, I am a Journeyman Electrician and when you add a extra wire nut you add another potential problem area, in this case a potential leak area. For safety sakes less is more. I'll give it the old collage try!
Your main challenge area is along side the motor where it routes in between the upper and lower part of the crossmember, then turns towards the proportioning valve. Lots of complex bends, but it can be done. As to couplers you should only need one to tie the line at the front to the line going to the rearend. I didn't mean "many or multiple couplers".
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:37 PM   #7
mjgord51
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
The worst part of the job is cleaning the 40years of crap that has found a home on your front crossmember
surprising its not that bad, just a little rusty.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:23 PM   #8
mjgord51
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhw View Post
Your main challenge area is along side the motor where it routes in between the upper and lower part of the crossmember, then turns towards the proportioning valve. Lots of complex bends, but it can be done. As to couplers you should only need one to tie the line at the front to the line going to the rearend. I didn't mean "many or multiple couplers".
Ya I was hoping so too not use any more than the one under the pass side cab area. Well its off to the races, it might take a while so this thread might not be going along to fast,

Thanks to all for the info & the pat on the back. I know I can do it or should I say **I think I can,**I think I can,**I think I can LOL, thanks guys
Old 08-26-2015, 10:26 PM   #9
engineer_gregh

I bought a complete kit from In Line Tube for my 71 short bed. Haven't tackled it yet so I'm looking forward to updates on your progress. Thanks for posting this.
1975 K5 4x4 full convertible

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=645165

Greg Smyrna TN
engineer_gregh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:22 PM   #10
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Hardest part about installing my SS brake lines in my 1972 C1500 was tweaking them by hand to fit just right. Stainless Steel is not as bendable as soft metal factory lines.

No kit is going to fit 100% perfect, so there will be a tad of tweaking, minimal bending, and a lot of cussing.

It's doable, but a challenge to say the least.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote